millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Demonstrably untrue, as there’s always a more interesting alternative outside than whatever’s on the TV.

I know and that’s why I always see you hanging outside the Spar with a flagon of White Lightning.

Was that seriously still going in 1985? :open_mouth:

Blame all the kids who didn’t follow the theme tune’s advice. :slight_smile:

I always liked the ones they did from Northern Ireland as we all giggled when the kids said "and now we have a fillum’.

“Well if we did what they’re saying we wouldn’t be able to watch this, would we?”

…we used to think that was really clever :expressionless:

I was thinking about this show last night for some reason. :open_mouth:

It was still going when I was a kid in the 90s (though just cut down to “Why Don’t You”). Russell T Davies worked on it at some point and confirmed that pretty much all the viewer letters they got were about tin can phones, so the production team had to fake most of it.

Some news from the BBC2 head. I’m only really taken by the last one.

Speaking today at the Edinburgh TV Festival, Patrick Holland, Controller of BBC Two, announced a range of ambitious new titles across factual, arts, comedy and drama.
Major new interactive history series explores the story of the 20th Century through the people who made it
New documentary series goes behind the scenes of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office at a time when UK’s global relationships are in state of unprecedented flux.
New film profiling legendary artist, Jean-Michel Basquiat
New documentary series has unique access to British Army during a period of intense change over the last year
Acclaimed director John Singleton’s first drama for TV, Snowfall, comes to BBC Two (pictured above)
The League of Gentlemen reunite after 15 years for three special new episodes

Yay!

That’s great to hear. They announced earlier this year that they were getting back together for a Christmas special, but I don’t think we knew it was three episodes yet.

They missed a trick not calling them the Hormonster/Hormonstress.

Say them out loud and it might not sound like such a good idea.

Sounds fine to me.

Yup, I kind of skipped over the rest as I’m a huge LoG fan but John Singleton directing a BBC drama is a bit of a coup too.

It’s an American show that’s already aired on FX; they just bought the UK rights.

Entertainment Weekly released the first official photos from the new seven-part limited series, now set for a November 22 premiere. Set in 1884 in a New Mexico mining town, Godless stars Daniels as Frank Griffin, a menacing outlaw terrorizing the West as he hunts down Roy Goode (Jack O’Connell), his son-like partner-turned-mortal enemy. While Roy hides at Alice Fletcher (Dockery)’s ranch, Frank’s chase leads him to the quiet town of La Belle, a community made up of entirely women after the town’s men died in a mining accident.

Also starring are Scoot McNairy as La Belle sheriff Bill McNue, along with Sam Waterston as Marshal John Cook, Sons of Anarchy alum Kim Coates as Ed Logan, and additional cast that includes Walking Dead alum Merritt Wever, Game of Thrones star Thomas Brodie-Sangster, The Knick star Jeremy Bobb, Better Call Saul star Audrey Moore, Boardwalk Empire alum Christiane Seidel, Randy Oglesby, Justin Welborn, Christopher Fitzgerald, Samantha Soule and Whitney Able.

The series is written by Scott Frank, writer behind the original Minority Report, Get Shorty, The Wolverine and Liam Neeson’s A Walk Among The Tombstones, which Frank also directed. Frank also earned an Oscar nomination for his work adapting Justified creator Elmore Leonard’s Out of Sight, which Soderbergh directed in 1998.

Deals with comic book companies are not slam dunks. Universal had a multiyear first-look arrangement with Dark Horse Entertainment that yielded only the 2013 flop R.I.P.D.

I would assume that was down to Universal not handling the opportunity correctly.

Netflix have a good track record of developing new shows and movies.

Shows, yes, movies not so much.