millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

You mean he isn’t?!

The streaming service has given a two-season order to Homecoming, a half-hour political thriller starring Academy Award winner Julia Roberts, our sister site Deadline reports.

Written by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail, Homecoming is described as a political thriller that centers on three characters: a caseworker at a secret government facility (played by Roberts), her supervisor, and a soldier. The project is based on the fictional podcast of the same name, which starred Catherine Keener (as the caseworker), Oscar Isaac, David Schwimmer, Amy Sedaris and David Cross.

Has anyone listened to the podcast? It’s been on my to-do list for a while.

Written by Benioff and Weiss, who also will showrun, Confederate chronicles events leading to the Third American Civil War. It takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zone – freedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate and the families of people in their thrall.

It doesn’t sound very fun.

I am interested though.

Interesting is better than fun.

It’s probably going to either have a load of one-dimensional pro-slavery villains, or a load of “sympathetic” pro-slavery characters.

Neither sounds all that interesting to me.

I think there could be a good show in there somewhere, but I don’t know if Benioff and Weiss are the ones to do it.

Did you catch The Man In The High Castle on amazon prime?

That was this alternate timey-wimey with historical inspiration (i know its a Philid K dick translation) done enjoyably.

I watched the first season and thought it was only okay.

Gets worse. A whole lot worse.

And it’s irking because a lot of people are complaining about insanely dumb plot turns that weren’t in the novel but still attributing them to PKD.

Wow that’s a huge win for people like me who have been beating the “GoT is trash” drum for years. What kind of shitheads think that is a good idea for a show?

I’d be susceptible to the idea if it was based on those speculative fiction novels that spun out of “How Few Remain”…it was interesting enough.

There is no adaptation that could make a fantasy portrayal of modern black slavery in America a good idea in this particular time in history. What a pair of assholes.

That’s a whole different argument. I just think their particular pitch sounds bland as well.

But we can agree on the Got is trash thing at least.

Or it could turn out like Handmaidens Tale and turn out to be alright…

Game of Thrones has slavery in it and I don’t think the issue has been treated lightly or one-dimensionally.

Anyone who doesn’t like that show wont like this one, that’s for sure, but I do like Game of Thrones.

That isn’t at all the point and a separate issue but maybe you have to live in the U.S. and be invested in the political or cultural climate here to get where I’m coming from. There is probably never a good time for this kind of story but now is definitely not the right time.

Does it not depend how the subject is approached and what the show has to say?

I am sensitive to the fact that there are certain political and cultural tensions at the moment that make this a potentially very controversial topic to be tackling (although as a non US-resident I would never presume to have the cultural insight of someone in the US) - but at the same time, doesn’t that very fact also mean that there is the potential for it to be a very timely and culturally-relevant show?

Or do you think that the subject matter should be barred for exploration, no matter what, due to the current climate?

As always, a huge amount is going to depend on the execution I suppose. And I haven’t seen any more about this other than the ones revealed in that Deadline story, which seems fairly thin on details. I’m not particularly interested in the show on that basis but to be honest I don’t know if there’s enough to really draw any conclusions either way yet.

What the show is like doesn’t really matter to me, unless maybe it’s 100% created by black artists. Our federal government is overtaken by white supremacists and there are state-sponsored executions of black people on the streets every other day with wide public support. I mean there is a whole list of stuff well beyond this.

It’s not the time to pitch “what if the confederacy won”, certainly not a couple of white dudes who create TV with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Regardless of how it’s done there is going to be X amount of viewers drawing dramatic pleasure from the pain of black Americans and the fantasy of owning them as property.

Fair enough, I can see the argument.

However, as JLJL mentioned, you could make similar arguments for The Handmaid’s Tale and I think they have managed to judge it just right with that series, balancing an unflinching exploration of the issues with making it never seem exploitative.

But maybe it is too much to expect a similarly perfect and nuanced approach for this show, especially given some of the high-profile controversies around misjudgements in the handling of some of the material in Game of Thrones.