millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Television News & Miscellany

Read the final draft of the Promethus script before he took over, compare it to the movie that got released and you can see this effect in action

Too much work, man! Too much work! Also, I haven’t even seen the ending of Prometheus, seeing as how I fell asleep watching it (only in part the movie’s fault though).

Take my word for it?

Done!

Wait, for what?! You just said I can “see that effect in action”! I presume that by that, you meant “You can see how somehow can see a well-constructed, clear ending to a story and completely muddle and obfuscate it to the point where the whole of the story doesn’t even make sense anymore”? That about right?

Eh, sure.

?

I raise you:

Filth.

https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/business/uploads/example/original/3X/1/7/1744cb3123e64eecbc98c9167b28c7b245c77ad6.png

That’s more of a climax than an ending.

It’s a stylistic choice.

Well, he can always hint through Rebirth and end up doing a crossover with the CW Shows…

Watchmen failed commercially?

It made $185M worldwide on a $130M budget.

Hmm. It also has had what 3 different DVD versions and sold the shit out of some Watchmen trades. I wouldn’t be surprised if more trades sold between the time the first trailer hit and the film’s release than the cumulative total before and after. It also carries a 65% “Fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes and B on CinemaScore. Ebert even gave it 4/5 stars. There are a lot of films that have done much more poorly that would be remembered as “cult hits” not failures on those terms.

Those aren’t very good scores. Anything under an A- on CinemaScore is basically a fail. It’s a silly metric.

Also, Ebert’s score was 4/4, he loved it. :slight_smile:

The film is rich enough to be seen more than once. I plan to see it again, this time on IMAX, and will have more to say about it. I’m not sure I understood all the nuances and implications, but I am sure I had a powerful experience. It’s not as entertaining as “The Dark Knight,” but like the “Matrix” films, LOTR and “The Dark Knight,” it’s going to inspire fevered analysis. I don’t want to see it twice for that reason, however, but mostly just to have the experience again.

Sorry mixed up the Ebert rating with another in what I was reading.

So do CinemaScore inflate their ratings? I thought it was on a A to F- scale. What does it take to get in the F range?

I still think it’s odd that Watchmen gets painted in terms that have more to do with people continuing to hold a grudge on Moore’s behalf even when they finally get what they said they wanted with a TV show. It was far from my favorite film but I thought Snyder did a great job with the source material.

Only 8 movies have ever gotten an F:

Here’s the 8 films, all time, with an “F” Cinema Score, and their Rotten Tomatoes score.

1. Killing Them Softly (78%)
  2. Solaris (65%)
  3. Bug (61%)
  4. Wolf Creek (53%)
  5. Darkness (4%)
  6. The Box (45%)
  7. Silent House (41%)
  8. The Devil Inside (7%)

This article’s a good primer on CinemaScore:

One factor which could skew this survey method is the hype that comes with that aforementioned months-long marketing campaign. In the current era of franchise filmmaking and movies adapted from other sources, people who see a movie like Captain America: Civil War on its opening day are likely to give a great score if it’s any good. Sure enough, Civil War holds an A score.

This is evidenced by the particularly sensitive scale of superhero movies - Cinemascores were recently in the news when Batman V Superman got a B, a score that’s probably less than ideal but doesn’t sound terrible on paper, but was deemed to be a poor result.

That’s bizarre especially as two of the films were rated “Fresh” on RT. I don’t place a lot of faith in reviews except when they unanimously tend to the extremes. It’s why I like the RT scores as they are a composite score of multiple reviews. So only above 95% and below 20% on RT really change my interest in any film.

Dance, and I never even saw Dracula Untold.