millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Submitted scripts/artwork

I know we have one more day until the deadline, but is anyone interested in sharing their submissions after it passes? I though we could dedicate a thread for anyone who wanted to share what they sent.

I would wait until the winners are announced at least. Also, anyone posting their script does so realizing that it is now public.

Personally, I would not post a story submitted somewhere. First and foremost, READ THE SUBMISSION AGREEMENT!!! It ain’t Kosher.

Second, we are now in CREATIVE CENTRAL. Once upon a time, writers would actually talk to each other, submit pages for consideration. Y’know, the work of writing.

Sorry if I sound grumpy, I’m not. Writing anything for any consideration is a real job. Some of the basics are 1) one must be capable of both READING and UNDERSTANDING. This starts with any documents of a legal nature. If this sounds harsh, so be it. Better to learn this from an old fart on Millar’s board than from some judge about to pronounce a sentence!

I think it would be a great idea to post some of the work that LED to a submission, or ones not chosen to submit. I had about eighteen ideas, then started having more. Sometime we have to limit and channel ideas.

I read, and just reread, the submission agreement and I don’t see why this wouldn’t be allowed. I thought this would be a great way for the writers to talk to each other and improve. A lot of us are new here, and new to this and need to learn. I’ve been devouring scripts online, but it can be intimidating reading masters at work and thought it would be nice to see what the amateurs are doing. The artist submission thread is amazing because they are all right there to view and they can compare and contrast their work with others, I thought it would be nice for the writers to have the same chance. I’m still learning these boards, so if I should edit the original post please explain how, I can’t figure it out. I’m sorry if I upset you.

I’m sorry, I meant to type that.

I can understand the desire to create a community for discussion.

So rather than posting your script and getting feedback (which is a laborious process that few are willing to engage in, in any case), why not create a space to simply discuss your experience? What did you struggle with, what did you most enjoy? Which script did you opt to write, how many scripts have you written previously, etc.

That’s a good idea.

I think we’ll start a threat for people who want critiques of their submissions after the deadline passes. Part of this community is people helping each other improve their skills and it’s difficult to find someone willing to read your work and tell you what they thought. Folks can choose themselves if they want to share or not, but if you do share your idea don’t get upset if someone else is ‘inspired’ by it. This is the internet, borrowing stuff is what people do!

Say it ain’t so!

You beat me to it - I was gonna suggest just that! It would be great to read and see the talent - and of course, learn from the talent in this forum. We are a team - we are the avengers! Lol. I know, its after 9pm- I’m allowed to be cheesy.

Completely agree

I’d love a critique thread

I’d prefer a critique threat

If my submission isn’t chosen for publication, I would be interested in other people reading it and hearing their critiques. I don’t see why there would be any fear of having anything “stolen” since the scripts were all written using Mark Millar’s characters.

Also, related to this whole idea of critiquing each other’s work, there is a website called comixtribe(dot)com that runs a feature called “the proving ground” in which people submit scripts for editors and forum users to review. They have tons of them already and I think it’s very helpful to read through them.

Finally, just to tack this on, another great fountain of behind-the-scenes-type info is a website/podcast called letstalkcomics(dot)com. There are sixty-some interviews on there with people from Mark Millar to Scott Snyder to Bendis to Liefeld. And the primary topic is always how each person broke into the industry then maintained their career. I think that kind of stuff is super-helpful to anyone trying to get their foot in the door, such as myself and some of the people on this forum.

This submission thing is planned to be an annual thing. That might be where the problems would come. :wink:

Yes but if the story didn’t make it through this round it’s unlikely to do so next time (and I’m sure there’ll be some rotation of the characters with maybe Nemesis, Superior, Huck etc). In the end it is difficult to have a truly original story, the first two entries I read this week had exactly the same story just by coincidence, most is down to the execution.

I think the only real issue here is maybe if people lack confidence, post their story and it’s one of the winners, it’s not great to have the script on the web before the comic comes out. It does make sense to hold off until after the announcement for that reason. We’ve seen one post where the entrant tried two scripts and shared the one he didn’t submit, if there are any more of those around.

I was thinking those ideas could be reworked. Mostly anyone that posts their script is going to have to be very mature about. Like you said, there is a very good possibility that there are going to be a lot of similar ideas. My brother and I submitted for completely different characters and independently ended up with very similar ideas.

What if your script was really, really good and would have won against any conceivable rivals in any other year, but in this particular year Alan Moore also entered a script?

Alan Moore is not eligible for the contest as an established comics writer so your scenario is not valid. Try again.

Getting precious about ideas is really a losing game, I promise you.

If you’re progressing as a writer, then the stuff you wrote a year ago is going to feel and sound childish to you. If you’re not progressing as a writer then you’re doing it wrong.

Take Alan Moore; he often talks about his past work disparagingly, be it Swamp Thing’s purple prose or Watchmen’s self conscious narrative tricks. And you can literally see him cross from ‘pretty good comic book writer’ to ‘evolutionary catalyst for a medium and market’ while he’s on Captain Britain.