millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Stranger Things (Spoilers)

We’re with two episodes to go and so far I’m really enjoying it - I haven’t noticed a slow pace at all; it’s all pretty propulsive, with plenty of time spent on the series’ best character (Steve - and the best actor by far; he’s absolutely perfect in every scene - a huge talent).

I haven’t read anything about the intent of the series but it seems like while the first season was a Stephen King tribute with a hint of Spielberg, the second added the Critters/Gremlins stuff, and this one adds the Terminator (kinda) and Cold War elements. The tone should be different each time; works for me.

1 Like

Anyone else suspect that time travel will be used in season four? Or maybe those blatant Back to the Future and Terminator references this season were just references. But it would be a way for Hopper to make a few appearances at least. Not sure if they might try to use time travel to create an “El was the Mind Flayer all along” loop, though.

1 Like

I do wonder what will happen with season 4. It was nice to have a more tongue-in-cheek season and I enjoyed it, but I’d also like to see them go back to actual horror in the next one.

It’d make sense, too, as the absurdity was in part - I think - because they’re not really children anymore but it’s still played as them being children. For the next season, they’ll have to embrace young adulthood, and that would allow them to go for an entirely different tone. I think it’d make a lot of sense to maybe also have a small time jump, have the characters be a little older and go for different topics occupying their minds.

Of course, Hopper probably wouldn’t survive two years in the Upside Down so maybe that’s not an option.

1 Like

I think it’ll be two years before they’re filming again so we’re for sure getting a time jump.

I suspect the Mind Flayer is something like 11’s older sister or something - some person lost in the upside down.

1 Like

My guess is the next season will take place at Christmas '86, about 18 months after S3.

It’ll be interesting to see if they end it with next season, or with S5. They’ve said in the past it could go either way (but no longer than that).

Given the response to season 3 I suspect Netflix will make it worth their while to give them 2 more seasons.

1 Like

If they do 5, I hope the Upside Down is in the background for most of season 4. It’d be cool to explore the psychics introduced in season 2. Not necessarily those psychics, but have the season be more focused on conspiracy and dueling human factions along the lines of something like Scanners.

2 Likes

Ah, the Invisibles cell. Yeah, I’d like to see those guys come back, but I doubt they will.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be them, specifically. But a main storyline about people with psychic abilities would be a good way to build tension toward the Upside Down reappearing in season 5, I think two more seasons of the Mind Flayer is a bit much.

1 Like

Finished this last night - really well done stuff; both wife and I were super impressed since there had been a backlash to the show, and we both thought S2 was fine but weaker than the first - if the trend continued this would have been really poor, but instead it was super-tight the whole way through - not a dull moment, no filler, had time permitted I could have easily watched it in one sitting. Loved the use of colour, loved the humour, and it was even quite touching.

The tender, well-done moments were not so much the “death” of Hopper, but the representation of some of the kids growing out of their toys, but Will not quite being there yet (wife and I both have distinct memories of being kids on school holiday and unpacking the toy collection to play, and feeling… nothing), and being a bit jealous of some of his pals having girlfriends.

Also, the way they dealt with Steve, who went from being the hot, popular guy at school to being kind of a loser once school was over. He peaked in High School - and he was aware of it. Such a great character and actor.

Now, with the “death”, apart from the mid-credits scene with Russians referring to “the American” in one of their cells, I had already assumed that Hopper had jumped through the Upside Down gate.

2 Likes

Loved it. Well worth my subscription.
What a great cast all around. The mall was almost a member of the cast in its own right. I remember my first trip to Miami around 1986, trying new Coke and shuffling around a mall not at all dissimilar to that with my grandad and sister. They captured it all really well. In some scenes the Flayer effects looked almost stop animation, like the end of the first Terminator.

I wish they had another series closer to release. That was great fun.

1 Like

I noticed that too and loved it. The Thing and Robocop were what came to mind for me.

1 Like