millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Starting my journey to become a Comic Artist

Hi all,

I’ve been a member of the forum for a month or so, mostly just reading the threads and browsing through all the awesome artwork that’s on show!

A little intro about myself - My name is Scott Strachan and most of my adult life I’ve been working in a job that provides me with little satisfaction. I’ve always been creative and enjoyed comics, so at the start of 2016 decided if I was going to have a fulfilling career then I’d have to work at my passion and follow my dreams to become Comic Artist.

Now, although my traditional drawing skills are quite good (or so I like to think), until this year I had little to no experience of working digitally, so I’ve read countless books and watched thousands of tutorial videos and I am now starting to produce work of a decent standard - or so I thought until I viewed other’s work on here!

I am currently working on a Deadpool vs UFC comic as a project to work on improving my skills, and hopefully on completion it will be good enough to serve as a portfolio.

If some of you talented artists with more experience could take a few minutes to review my work and offer some positives / negatives, and parts which I can improve and work on - it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and have a great day!

Great work

Hey man!

Good luck with the journey, if you can accept a little criticism, here’s what I’d suggest:

1. I’d stick with pure b&w at the moment, right now everything is suffering from an airbrushy texture, and I think it’s allowing you to airbrush in a background and assume that’s all you’ll need.

2. Backgrounds! You need backgrounds, where is deadpool? (On a big chair - in a living room? a library? a holodeck? mars?)

3. There’s a very clear difference between the images you’ve used photo reference on and those that you haven’t. You’ll have to find a way to meet those in the middle - I’d suggest drawing stuff out first THEN hitting the photoreference that fits the things you want to draw.

There’s a clarity to the story telling here, and it’s something you want to keep as you layer on backgrounds and texture in to your work.

Good luck!

-pj

Hi @pjholden !

Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me some feedback, it’s much appreciated!

I definitely take on-board all of your comments, especially the feedback regarding backgrounds. I have been playing around with Sketch-up to try and create some interesting backgrounds and import them into Manga Studio to edit. Once I have more practice with the software, hopefully it will take my panels to the next level.

With regards to photo references… A couple of the panels are actually photographs of me in different stances, which I’ve drawn out and then added the Deadpool costume ha! But yeah I need to work on trying to draw more from ideas in my head onto paper, so that if someone says “I want Spiderman leaping over a New York cab” I can get the general idea down, and nail it with the references later.

Digital drawing but especially colouring is totally new to me. Airbrushing just seemed the most natural to blend and get the right tones. Once I have more experience I’ll try out some other brushes and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for all your help!

Thanks @stuperrins ! :smile:

No problem, be great to work on a project together some day.