millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

Ya. Their contracts tend to be pretty airtight from what I understand.

Also Gareth Edwards didn’t lose director’s credit. So maybe there is also precedent for them to solve it amicably.

The irony that this Disney scene ended up on the cutting room floor…

He did direct it all though didn’t he? They had rewrites and went back to reshoot but he was okay and stayed behind the camera? This seems a different situation more akin to Wright on Ant-Man where he left the project.

I believe there were rumors that the reshoots where handled by a different director but I don’t think they were ever confirmed.

I’m really excited about this!

Ron Howard voiceover: “He was not excited about this.”

Someone really needs to have a word with the Director of Imperial Safety and Health.

Who put this giant pit in my throne room?!

The controls are out there?! Why?!

Would railings have really blown the construction budget?

At the very least cone the area off…

You are my Ron Howard :wink:

That might have been the worst line in the whole movie. :pensive:

“No, we are not going to change his name to ‘Opie Solo’!”

You mean, the DISH?

This was my assumption.

This doesn’t spoil anything.

From what I read they brought in Tony Gilroy to rewrite and act as a second unit director. It’s up to speculation how much control he had and whether spin is at work but Edwards said he filmed the additional scenes like the Vader fight and even if he didn’t the majority of the film remained intact. To be fair you can see his style in a lot of the film (he very much likes POV views in the action scenes as seen in Godzilla and here when the walkers attack on the beach).

It would be very harsh and likely against union rules to take his name off, that would only happen if he had a strop and asked for an Alan Smithee but he seemed to be happy and did all the press etc.

Second Unit generally does what the director tells them to do but on ‘Rogue One’…

My guess (emphasis on guess) is that Gilroy had a lot of input, as part of the group that included him, Edwards and Kennedy, but that Edwards was careful which things he pushed for (and which he didn’t) and was prepared to give up some ground as well as some authority.

So he’s still listed as director and likely to be called on for other, big studio jobs.

My guess would be similar to yours and it’s a very different situation really. The issues with Rogue One seemed to have been with plot and pacing, specifically in the third act. Edwards has said there were problems with the base and the shield being in different locations originally.

In that case there’s no real reason to pull him off the actual filming work, the movie looked good to me. Let Gilroy have his input to fix the story issues.

This Han Solo problem is more fundamental (again with the caveat of whether we can fully believe the stories). The way they want to film it, using improvisation, and the tone of what they were doing seems to go against what Kasdan and by extension Kathleen Kennedy want.

Yes. This is an interesting compilation of rumours and hearsay, with the usual caveat that it’s all unsourced and could be inaccurate:

This part was interesting:

[quote]For anyone who’s worried that the actor playing a young Han Solo isn’t taking his role seriously, rest easy – Ehrenreich one of the most important people involved with the project who voiced his concerns about the project at a crucial moment in the movie’s development, which means that he’s absolutely committed to bringing his A-game to this role. Ehrenreich’s performance has been described to us as being an interesting new take on Han that stands out on its own while still honoring the essentials of the character, and that it’s a worthy interpretation of the iconic scoundrel.

And this is why Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed. He started to worry that Lord & Miller’s screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about – even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in that Cantina on Tatooine. One source described it as being oddly comparable to Jim Carrey’s performance in Ace Ventura at times. Ehrenreich let his concerns be known to one of the producers, who then told Kennedy about it, which led to her decision to look over the existing footage (which is also a normal part of the production process, but this is where things get interesting).[/quote]

That suggests a significant tonal mismatch. I’m sure Ace Ventura isn’t what Lucasfilm wants for Han Solo.

Also, this section implies that they were playing fast and loose with Star Wars canon, which probably isn’t something that the studio could accept given that it’s a piece of a far bigger network of films.

Following up on Gilroy’s work on ‘Rogue One’, one thing is certain, he was well paid for it;

‘Rogue One’ Writer Tony Gilroy to Make Millions Off Reshoots

Rogue One might be about a group of rebels absconding with plans for the Death Star, but they aren’t the only ones making out like bandits. Tony Gilroy, who was brought in to rewrite and help oversee reshoots for the Gareth Edwards-directed Star Wars film, out Dec. 16, will pocket north of $5 million for his efforts, say sources.

Gilroy, writer of several Bourne movies and director of best picture Oscar nominee Michael Clayton, first was brought in to help write dialogue and scenes for Rogue’s reshoots and was being paid $200,000 a week, according to several sources. That figure is fairly normal for a top-tier writer on a big-budget studio film. But as the workload (and the reshoots) expanded, so did Gilroy’s time and paycheck.

–SNIP–

While the cost of extending Gilroy’s work on Rogue One might seem on the high side, that price is a bargain to protect the integrity of the Star Wars brand. Disney paid $4 billion in 2012 to buy Star Wars creator George Lucas’ Lucasfilm and its first film after the deal, the JJ Abrams-directed Star Wars: The Force Awakens, made more than $2 billion and jump-started a whole new generation of Star Wars fans.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-writer-tony-gilroy-make-millions-reshoots-951119