millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

I did like ‘Rush’ but he’s a people person, not a visualist. If he does it he’ll be relying on the people around him for the look.

But that’s what they’re there for.

I’ve always said Ron Howard is the least consistent director out there, if it’s the one that did Rush then great, if it’s the one that did the Dan Brown films, no thanks.

In the end though as others have said these things are very controlled, we won’t be getting much in the way of individual vision, he’s an experienced guy who knows where to put all the pieces.

Ron Howard…Okay. Interesting choice if it happens.

He did Willow, way back when, didn’t he? That was a Lucasfilm movie, wasn’t it?

I always think of Ron Howard as a journeyman director like directors in the old studio system. He will generally turn out something solid. It might be great or maybe not, but it will be competently made.

As for the supposed comedic tone that the original directors were bringing to things…Well, I am not sure. Yes, he has some dramatic moments in the original trilogy, but ultimately Han Solo is the funny guy. Luke Skywalker is the one with the quest. Han is the guy giving him a lift.

So I think it depends on the tone. Something like Ocean’s 11 in a galaxy far, far away might work well. Something broader might be a mistake for a whole film.

Young Han Solo = Peter Quill? You could do worse that shadowing GoTG right now.

Maybe…they are different characters. Peter Quill has a childlike quality that Han Solo doesn’t have. Han has always been portrayed as a more cynical, world-weary, laconic sort of character (mostly because that is how Harrison Ford played him). And remember that Han shot Greedo in cold blood and walked out of the bar. He’s kind of a shady character.

It doesn’t mean that it couldn’t work. However the characters aren’t exactly carbon copies of each other.

Perhaps the movie is how he became cynical, then? :wink:

Of course. They’re doing a younger Han Solo, so who knows what he was like before we meet him in the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Han is a bit more like Rocket than Quill.

Don’t be ridiculous. I mean, it’s not like Han shot first or anything.

I know you’re not being serious David. Do you know how I know that? The Greedo shooting first thing happened in the Special Editions which were released in the 90’s. :wink:

I’m being serious to the extent that the Han we will see on screen is not the Han who would shoot Greedo in cold blood. Regardless of our own preferences, that Han has gone the way of the western.

They always have been. I’ve had friends work with them and pitch to them in the past. What they generally offer is a nice pair of golden handcuffs. They tend to have a way they want things and they tend to get it. For the most part, that gives a consistent product that is mostly high quality but does come with drawbacks.

I would have said that Guardians of the Galaxy is the Millennium Falcon with 2 × Han, 1 × Leia and 2 × Chewbacca.

That is very, very true.

One of things they teach you in design courses (and probably others) is that some projects need a commitee and others need a dictator.

Art films are meant to express the vision of the filmmaker, so they need to be lead by a director who can make the final call on everything (as much as physically possible). That’s what their audience wants, it’s what their investors signed on for (the art) and it’s a relatively small problem if it doesn’t work out. The number of people affected is low.

Studio films have to appeal to huge audiences and please millions of people, starting with the execs who sign off on the projects and the shareholders who own the company, and that’s before they have to please millions of people who will spend their money in sufficient quantities to make the whole thing profitable. If that doesn’t work out then many tens, even hundreds of millions of dollars can be lost.

A camel is horse designed by a commitee, but sometimes a long endurance, low maintainance, water and food efficient animal that can walk on soft sand is exactly what you need. :wink:

We often talk about the “Studio” interfering in these things or the bean-counters getting involved. The people who have been mentioned here are Kathleen Kennedy and Lawrence Kasdan, both of whom have pretty impressive track records in the movie business.

Ya. I think this is truly and honestly creative differences but the distinction is it is with the people who are clearly in charge of the project. I can’t imagine a writer being given this much influence in any other film. Usually they are forced to grin and bear it when their script is only used as a guide.

There are many public examples of studios dropping the ball, everyone loves a good screw up story, but no-one (well hardly anyone) is trying to ruin these films, or any others.

They could still screw up of course, but this sort of decision is part of their job, Disney made Kennedy head of Lucasfilm and she hired Kasdan, with their approval.

And, at least on my social media, the reaction has been pretty mixed. A lot of people are willing to assume that this is a course correction and not megalomania. ‘Creative differences’ for real, not as an excuse.

What would he know about Star Wars anyway?

He knows how to take it the way of the western.