millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

I don’t that I had even heard about Rebels until you talked about it. I think that it’s a lot of fun. It seems to get progressively darker, but it is very much in the spirit of the original movies.

Also, Darth Vader has been restored to his role of terrifying a generation once more.

I’m happy to see that there is something out their for kids to get into. I would hate to see stuff like that become the preserve of middle-aged geeks.

As a Star Trek fan, I would love to see something like that in the Trek universe (obviously there was the Animated Series…).

Interesting.

I would think that the animated series like Clone Wars and Rebels would be incomprehensible to anyone unfamiliar with the movies. They seem more like supplemental material than standalone stories.

And, now that I think about, I remember reading a lengthy article by someone (Drew McWeeny?) where he was showing his young children the Star Wars movies for the first time. They had been viewers of the Clone Wars series but were unfamiliar with the films, and were horrified to find out that Anakin became Darth Vader and that Palpatine had been the big bad, manipulating everyone the whole time.

A friend I work with is at just the right age that his first exposure to Star Wars came with the prequels. It was a twist to him that Anakin grew up and became Darth Vader.

It is easy to forget how different generations all have their different entry points to these franchises now. For a new generation of viewers, Episodes 1-6 will all feel like prequels to The Force Awakens, where the real story started. :slight_smile:

They are supplemental but I don’t think kids would gravitate to material that is incomprehensible. It’s all pretty simple, Darth Vader is the big bad guy etc.

Just to clarify I think any attempt to make a film that relies on you having watched the animated shows is a complete disaster of an idea. Taking characters and ideas from them for a standalone movie should be no issue. If you had never seen a single Star Wars film before Rogue One it makes sense as a standalone entity.

And that’s a bad thing? That’s the exact effect the Prequels went for and failed to get.

This is the key, I think.

For me, Rogue One was interesting in that it proved that you can take existing characters from other Extended Universe stuff and use them in central roles, as long as you introduce them effectively for the audience of the movie too. Saw Gerrera was first introduced in the Clone Wars cartoon in 2012, but I didn’t need to know that (or anything about him) to understand and enjoy his part in Rogue One.

Equally, I know nothing about Ahsoka Tano, but even if she was put in more of a lead role than Saw Gerrera was, it’s not a problem. I knew nothing about Jyn Erso either, before I watched the movie. A movie audience doesn’t care if the character has been drawn from a (relatively) obscure extended-universe series, they just care about how the movie works on its own terms.

No he worked for me, I’ve never seen any of the Clone Wars, his character made perfect sense.

Same for me. I’d seen mention of him being a pre-existing character before I saw the movie, but I didn’t have any other prior knowledge than that.

Just to point out we’re all in danger of agreeing with each other.

Take that, grumpy old men thread.

Am I the only one who thinks a Sebulba spinoff would be a kickass Star Wars film?

Never mind, then.

Aren’t you supposed to be having trouble getting an internet connection?

Here’s a really sweet Star Wars story to warm your cold dead hearts.

Wasn’t Rogue One for older viewers than she is?

I thought it was some dark stuff. Of course everybody should cosplay as whatever they like, it’s just surprising.

Which, to be fair explains why he keeps on getting fucked over by people richer and more powerful than he is.

The only spin-off I want to see is a rags-to-riches tale of the Twi’lek dancer in Jabba’s court.

I’m not sure why the Star Trek universe needs something for kids. And for that matter, why the Star Wars universe would ever have anything not for kids. Star Trek has never been aimed at kids, while Star Wars always has been. If a Star Wars movie is ever rated anything above a PG, they’re doing something wrong.

Star Trekkin' Across the Universe: Discussing The Porgs