millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

It may be an age thing?

My nephew was 6 when he saw ‘Phantom Menace’ and he really liked Jar Jar.

And that show was when? 16 years ago??? Even serious Fanboys like Pegg knew they were irrational back then.

Bill Bailey’s delivery of “kids like Jar-Jar!” always makes me chuckle.

(Plus the TARDIS gag with the huge storeroom is always a good one.)

I know, @steveuk, but it still hurts!

I was 9 when I saw it and I loved Jar Jar too. I don’t think he has staying power, though, at least in my experience. Everyone still loves R2 and I’m sure the same will be true of BB8 but I don’t know anyone who was a kid when Menace came out and still likes Jar Jar.

It’s still really mean-spirited and fanwanky to give him such a crappy life though.
Neither of those two things seem particularly Star Wars to me, but Disney clearly disagree on at least one of them! :wink:

The difference is, a lot of adults liked BB-8, that’s how you do a sidekick (as they did with R2).

I’ll be honest, I still love Star Wars and I’m happy to let a lot of stuff fade away, to concentrate on the good things.

Agreed.

But I don’t read the novels (I’ve read a couple, that’s it, and a long time ago), maybe the novel reading demographic wanted their revenge?

Card on the table - Jar Jar never really bothered me that much and still doesn’t now. It’s one of those ones that I didn’t realise how annoying he was until I heard other people talking about how annoying he was.

I also love the theory that he is an evil mastermind for the Darkside, I’d love it so much of they worked that into the new movies but I know there is absolutely zero chance of that happening and to be honest it probably shouldn’t as it would ruin the tone of the good work they’ve done so far.

What are you???!!!

I’m fairly similar, didn’t like him but neither did I hate him, there were other, bigger problems with the prequels like the infamous Sand Monologue.

You can put this down to two factors:

In universe Jar Jar is a clown, a fool, a jester, which is fine so long as the Republic and Jedi are around, but then the Empire takes over and the Empire is a cold, serious organisation that has a no use for a clown!

Out of universe, you can blame the prequels for this and other vicious plot twists like Han Solo being killed by his son or Luke restoring the Jedi but they all get killed, for they were linked to the gritty realism defined by lots of bad things happening to people with little to zero good.

I can’t agree with that.

It was dialogue.

Weirdly, I have no memory of BB-8. I mean, I know what he looks like and I know he rolled around a lot. But as for what he actually did in the film or even what his personality was… nope, no idea. Completely blank.

At least I can remember Jar-Jar enough to hate him :slight_smile:

This is a thing elsewhere, so it might as well be a thing here.

Y’know, this whole “voting for things” has simply not gone well lately, so let’s just go ahead and argue.

I say, no, no it cannot.

In The Wolverine, energized adamantium cut though regular adamantium.

Cutting Power

“It’s heavier than I thought.”
“Energy constantly flows through the crystal. You’re not fighting with a simple blade as much as you are directing a current of power.”
―Sabine Wren and Kanan Jarrus on the Darksaber

A lightsaber blade had no mass, as it was a concentration of energy. The power of the energy blade was so great that it could cut through almost anything. One important note about lightsaber wounds is that they rarely bled profusely, even when a limb had been severed. This is because the energy blade cauterized the wound as it passed, and thus even a severe wound did not tend to bleed heavily.

Lightsaber-resistant materials

Aside from the blade of another lightsaber, there were rare materials that could withstand a lightsaber blade:

• Zillo Beast hide could deflect lightsaber strikes, but this material was exceedingly rare due to the species’ extinction.
  • Phrik was a metallic compound resistant to lightsabers. Darth Sidious constructed his two weapons from Phrik.

Someone in Marvel editorial is writing all of this down. I hope you know this :smile:

… a large amount of blood increases your film rating and reduces the potential audience. :wink: