millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

Vast universe with infinite possibilities that will support almost any kind of story told in almost any way.

vs.

One finite story that ended 35 years ago and never needed a continuation.

the 35 years of comics and books since then disagree with you.

Fan fiction, maybe some good stuff but still fan fiction. :wink:

Yeah, to me Star Wars and Marvel are comparable properties. Both have a huge amount of fiction set in their worlds and thousands of characters to draw from. They’re both up there in terms of the size and scale of fictional universes.

I think the Star Wars universe also offers infinite story possibilities, but they seem too risk-averse to pursue any of them. Rogue One probably came the closest, to the extent that it’s a Dirty Dozen-style war movie, but even there they pulled back at the end and sanded off the rough edges (and, arguably, even from the start in making it tie directly to the beginning of A New Hope). Solo could have been a heist/caper film set in the Star Wars universe, and probably would have been more interesting if it had cut all of the pre-existing characters and focused on Harrleson’s crew. I don’t think it’s that big a problem that the main trilogy is mostly a remix, but if you’re going to have films beyond that, they should surprise the audience, and give them something they might not otherwise get.

Marvel and Star Wars aren’t really comparable for me.

The Marvel Universe has a 60-year history of characters who have connected with the public and grown far beyond their origins into a kind of modern mythology that’s filled with countless different stories and a wide variety of heroes and villans.

I don’t think anything beyond the original Star Wars trilogy of films has ever really connected with the public in the same way. It might be a similar size commercially, but the universe of Star Wars feels so much smaller and more limited in scope than what Marvel offers.

Why dismiss the original trilogy though? That’s like saying nothing beyond the Marvel comic books has connected with the public. The movies are the point.

And before 2000 Marvel was pretty unknown to most people. Spider Man and Hulk were maybe the only household names. Star Wars characters were far more popular than Marvel before 2000.

Oh I’m not dismissing the OT, I just think Star Wars has never really grown beyond that. I don’t know if the potential is really there to do so for big audiences. Whereas I think Marvel grew beyond its roots in lots of interesting different directions.

For most of my young life I thought that Star Wars was only just the one movie.

I dunno. Marvel hasn’t really escaped the Avengers and Spidey yet. Star Wars at least has covered multiple generations and in the extra stuff different eras.

Yeah, maybe. In retrospect maybe Disney would have been better to hold off on Star Wars until the MCU was looking a bit more tired, and have them each cycle in while the other was being rested, rather than competing with each other directly.

I know that The Phantom Menace had a big impact, but you shouldn’t have been afraid to watch the originals.

I meant A New Hope.
As I’ve said, that was giving all the time when I was a kid on local television.

When I find I’m enjoying niche products like the Canto Bight short story collection more than a SW film, it’s pretty clear that I’m more interested in the world of SW than its main story.

I think Disney expect ~$2 billion from Star Wars each year and another $3 billion from Marvel. They could do that by giving each movie 6 weeks to itself. They have this asset, they’re not going to sit on it. I don’t think either property steals from the other. I do think that Star Wars has the opportunity to be the equal of Marvel, but it’s been grossly mismanaged so far.

Sooooo … you’re saying they Mickey Moused it? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The VFX for ‘The Mandalorian’ will be (mostly) handled in the UK.

CASSIAN ANDOR LIVE-ACTION SERIES ANNOUNCED

DIEGO LUNA RETURNS AS THE ROGUE ONE HERO IN A SPY THRILLER FOR DISNEY’S DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER STREAMING SERVICE.

Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service. The series, which will go into production next year, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor. “Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me,” said Luna. “I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced.

Mmm