millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

This is definitely the case, but I think Disney have realized this, and are trying to address it with the new toybox line.

We were at Disneyland last week, and in the gift shop after Star Tours, my son ignored pretty much all the action figures, apart from these, which he specifically highlighted as “awesome”.

Have to say, I kind of liked them as well.

They’re far more sophisticated than they used to be, with a figure maybe consisting of 60 different parts compared to 10-12 back in the day. I’m sure they’re expensive to make with the paint jobs they get these days too. But that’s what needed for the adult market.

Many of the toys my boys have have electronics that play sounds, have lights, that kind of thing. You can get toy robots these days. However, all that stuff can be branded for Star Wars or Marvel or whatever. Merchandise is just branding what’s popular (like buying Star Wars bikes or underoos). I still think Disney have missed an opportunity by not tailoring the movies to the next generation, and instead giving us fan service like Solo.

I wonder how much of it is that tailoring.

A friend of mine has a four year old daughter and she plays with her plastic dinosaurs just as much as her dolls. She can play games on an iPad too, but she wants her dinosaurs to be friends who go on adventures as well.

Part of the problem is that branding inflates it a lot. You can get a solar powered robot kit for half the price of a Star Wars figure. I know which one will engage the kids for longer.

There’s a line of less fancy Star Wars toys as well as stuff like the Black Series, they stock them in Smyths and Toymaster here.

As for toys the thing to remember is that there are also a lot of varieties now. There are the ones clearly geared towards older fans and then those that are aimed at the younger ones.

When I was a kid and SW came out, it wasn’t just the figures but the vehicles and playsets as well. Nowadays, I see the figures but not so much the vehicles and playsets.

People still drool over Boba Fett and Lando, two characters who did next to nothing in the original trilogy. Poe and Finn will be fine.

Blowing a Death Star is nothing?

Meh. Luke did it first.

Why prequels?

Indiana Jones and James Bond go off on adventures. There’s not really a lot to that. With Star Trek, you just get a new spaceship or space station and fill it with a new crew and you’re good to go. With Doctor Who, you get a new actor, a new companion, and keep it going.

But when it comes to larger, more ambitious stories like Star Wars or
Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, those stories have a definitive ending.

Star Wars kind of ended when Darth Skywalker balanced the Force and Lando blew up the second Death Star. Lord of the Rings ended when the Ring was destroyed. Harry Potter ended when Voldemort was defeated. The main narrative thrusts of those tales ended when the good guys won.

It’s a lot easier to go back and fill in the pre-existing holes in your story than continue it beyond its natural conclusion. That’s why all of Tolkien’s unfinished stuff like The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales dipped into the past instead of going beyond Sauron’s defeat. Tolkien started on a sequel to LOTR but quickly abandoned it. And, from what I understand, all of the ASOIAF and GOT spin-offs are prequels as well.

When stories are pushed beyond their conclusions, it doesn’t always work.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the sequel to the Potter saga, has been divisive and some fans refuse to accept it as canon.

The Babylon 5 sequel Crusade flopped.

And the Star Wars sequel trilogy has been highly divisive among fans. Look at TFA and TLJ. These movies essentially reboot the franchise and retell the stuff that happened in I-VI. A new Empire. A new Emperor. A new black clad Sith Lord. New Star Destroyers. New X-Wings. New TIE Fighters. New Stormtroopers. New AT-ATs. Another stand-off on with walkers on an ice… er… salt planet. Another throne room confrontation. A new new hope emerging from a desert planet. Another grouchy, reluctant Jedi Master.

So it’s either tell us how Han met Chewie or just keep retelling the old stories, it seems.

“How Han Met Chewie” with Chewie in the Meg Ryan role!

“I’ll have what she’s having.”

If you want to watch a Wookie fake an orgasm, I can arrange it!

They didn’t have to change the script at all.
“I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible”

Are you sure he’s faking it Jason?