millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

Oh yeah, that’ll work.

How it’ll really be - the green dwarf gets crushed under a pile of books.

As a book lover, that makes me cringe. Letting books lean like that will ruin the binding.

No.

Just no.

As well as ruining books, that bottom one has the double advantage of looking massively uncomfortable.

Following up on the video;

Solo review are coming in. Not many yet, but they’re mixed:

About what I expected.

Do we need to know how the guy got his gun? Do we need to know how he met his sidekicks? Do we need additional context for what made Harrison Ford cool four decades ago?

This prequel shit is so, so dumb. It seems designed to appeal to 40 year old plus geeks, and that’s it. Lucas film needs new blood. New ideas. Stop listening to the fanboys who want a fucking Boba Fett trilogy, and move on with the damned universe.

Why did Leia decide on her hairstyles? Find out in the new prequel trilogy starring Jimmy Smits, Jude Law, and, I dunno, Anne Hathaway. And maybe some cgi muppets, or whatever.

What did Wedge do to kill time between ESB and ROTJ? Find out in the new 200 million dollar budgeted production of Wedge: A Star Wars Story, directed by the guy who did one of the more forgettable episodes of Game of Thrones, starring a 30 something white guy you might recognize from an episode of Breaking Bad, and also featuring a cameo from Kiera Knightly as Natalie Portman, or something.

I’m seeing this, once, for Donald Glover.

I think the middle ground is prequels as further adventures, rather than answering questions. If this leans more toward being a space heist story starring a young Han Solo, I’m down. If it’s just explaining “how Han became Han” then, yeah, no one needs that.

I’m saying this as a guy who sees the Star Wars movies because he is a geek, not because he is a fan. I like spectacle and sci fi, so I watch them. I’m telling you, emphatically, that the general audience is tired of backstory from movies that came out in the eighties. It’s time to move on.

Is that a response to me? I mean, leaving aside that you’re speaking for an entire “general audience” you’re not actually addressing anything I said, despite phrasing what you’re saying as if it’s a response to what I said.

Rogue One made a billion dollars with a cast of nobodies. They can’t make sequels any faster and they want a Star Wars movie every year so we get prequels for as long as people pay to see them. Disney aren’t being dumb (though I do think they’re screwing up Star Wars with their plot decisions).

Just going to say, this is part of the problem. If you don’t want Star Wars prequels, don’t go see them. Doesn’t matter why you go see them, the metric that gets more of these movies made is how much cash they take in.

Also Rian Johnson is currently working on a new trilogy completely removed from the current one so it’s not like they’re only planning prequels outside the main trilogy.

The Benioff/Weiss movies are supposed to be separate too.

Rogue One did so well, I think, because people were still excited at the prospect of new Star Wars films coming out. That excitement seems to have dulled somewhat. I am not saying that they won’t continue to be successful. I am saying that they seem to be making very little effort to expand their audience by evolving the material. It seems to me that Disney is being over-reliant on the existing fandom without attempting to expand that fandom by doing anything new.

So how much should this make? I think Solo will do around a billion.

Star Wars transcended ‘fandom’ decades ago. Star Wars is mainstream. You don’t have to own a single action figure or wear a t-shirt in order to want to go see it.

I get that not everyone likes the newer films, I’ve yet to see one that I’d put up next to the original, but Disney can carry on doing exactly what they are doing and still make bank.

Our personal taste as fans (who do own the figures and the t-shirts) is less than irrelevant.

Literally the only point Star Wars wasn’t mainstream was between 87 and 93 or so, when the toy lines had faded, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons were over, and the Marvel comic had been cancelled. Until the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire came long, Star Wars was largely forgotten.

I still say it was Clerks that pushed Star Wars back into the mainstream consciousness, or at least film nerd - stoner consciousness.

It was definitely part of it. Star Wars was growing in popularity again at the time, I can remember reading about Clerks in an official magazine around the time it hit cinemas , they were talking about how Smith sold off part of his merch collection to fund the movie. That was a year after the tirlogy was released on laserdisc and a year before the VHS video release which was tagged as the last chance to own the original trilogy.