2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. The Last Jedi
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Rogue One
  6. Return of the Jedi
  7. Phantom Menace
  8. Revenge of the Sith
  9. Attack of the Clones

1. Jedi - yes Jedi. Great opening sequence, the final act is superb and it has the speeder bike scene. If you can get over Ewoks (which I can) I think it’s the best of the bunch.
  2. Empire
  3. Hope - fantastic world building but it is boring for long periods of the movie.
  4. Menace - I mean, understand it’s a long gap between 3rd and 4th.
  5. Awakens - I don’t think it was as good as most people did. It’s great for the first 30 mins, but there’s some awful crap in here.
  6. Rogue - I know some love it and it did well, but for me it showed how hard it is to a different genre in the Star Wars universe.
  7. Clones - I liked the bit when Yoda fights, but this movie is pretty terrible. Isn’t this the one where they go through the worst factory production line? OSHA would close that place down.
  8. Revenge - This movie is worse. That sequence on the volcano is just awkward action sequence after awkward sequence.

Still haven’t seen Last Jedi. Honestly I think everything after ROTJ has been pretty terrible. Not Matrix sequels terrible (it to me is the crown jewel in franchises that kill themselves), but we’d be better off culturally if they’d never been made.

1. Return of the Jedi - This one had everything, epic space battles, ground level infantry skirmishes and lightsaber fights ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!! It’s a huge redemptive story for the man who we were introduced to as the epitome of evil in ANH. It was also the first of the films that I saw in the theater.

2. A New Hope - I actually go back and forth on whether this film or ROTJ is my favorite. I tend to favor this one sometimes because it’s a complete narrative that doesn’t need any of the other films and it handles the story that way. I love it to bits.

3. Empire Strikes Back - This is actually my least favorite of the original trilogy. It’s an in-between tale that neither starts or finishes the story and can’t really stand on its own. The Battle of Hoth, lightsaber fight on Bespin and reveal of who Darth Vader really is are pretty great though.

4. The Last Jedi - I loved how all the questions you thought would be answered in this film were thrown out like Luke Skywalker chucking a lightsaber over his shoulder. I feel like this installment resets the story of the Jedi and takes it back to a place where anyone (even a nobody kid from the edge of nowhere) can be a Jedi and not just space royalty. Great stuff.

5. The Force Awakens - This was a huge nostalgia hit and really brought back everything I loved about the Star Wars franchise while introducing a new cast and direction.

6. The Phantom Menace - It might not have been everything I hoped for at the time but it still has the best lightsaber battle of the franchise.

7. Rogue One - I wish they had been given more freedom to explore the direction this was going. It feels like it was pulled back at some point. It would have been interesting to see something even more different in the Star Wars universe. K2SO was my favorite part of the film.

8. Attack of the Clones / Revenge of the Sith - I honestly don’t remember much about these two films. There was some interesting visuals and I love Ewan McGregor but that’s about it for me.

I know this is the popular opinion, but I disagree. I think ROTJ had the best lightsabre battle of the franchise. Because it felt like it meant something. TPM fight might have been superbly choreographed, but it was only there to fill up a few minutes of screen time. (This is how I imagine you view drum solos in classic rock tracks :smiley: ) I wasn’t sure why they were fighting except, boo evil! and didn’t even really care who won by that point :expressionless:

The Obi-Wan/Anakin fight in ROTS should have equalled or even eclipsed Luke/Vader in emotional impact, but by that point I don’t think anyone cared :expressionless:

I don’t completely disagree especially as it pertains to story which is why ROTJ is #1 and TPM is #6. However, these films are also built on spectacle and that 3-way lightsaber fight was spectacular.

I also agree on ROTS.

Hard to disagree with this, and it’s impossible to imagine Disney making a movie that penetrates the top 3.

The Last Jedi is pretty awesome though—it just would have been a LOT better if Luke was replaced with a new character and Leia wasn’t in it and all her lines were given to the Laura Dern character.

Mark Hamill acts the shit out of the Vader lightsaber fight. I agree with David that it’s the best of the bunch.

Dual of the Fates though might be the best piece of music in the Star Wars universe.

It was very well choreographed - but it was blown out of the water by Podracing.

This is one of those things that always gets me. It’s only well choreographed if you’re not paying attention. If you actually watch it there’s just a lot of people swinging their lightsabers nowhere near the person they’re fighting. Once you notice it, the fight looks terrible.

Hahaha. I love that this is what was picked up on in my entire rundown. :wink:

Well, there wasn’t much else to disagree with :wink:

It’s funny how alike and different our tastes are. :wink:

1. Return of the Jedi (First one I saw, Empire is probably better in a vacuum, but in Star Wars, there is sound in space, so no vacuum!)
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. A New Hope
  4. Rogue One (Would be placed higher if not for nostalgia)
  5. The Force Awakens
  6. The Last Jedi
  7. Revenge of the Sith (Slightly better than the other prequels, mostly because more time was spent fighting with lightsabers and a bit less spent talking)
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. Attack of the Clones

Faves:
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Tolerable:
The Force Awakens
Rogue One

Not Good:
prequels

Killed the Franchise For Me:
The Last Jedi

It’s poll time. Make your votes!

What is your favorite Star Wars live action theatrical release so far?

• The Phantom Menace
  • Attack of the Clones
  • Revenge of the Sith
  • Rogue One
  • A New Hope
  • Empire Strikes Back
  • Return of the Jedi
  • The Force Awakens
  • The Last Jedi

0 voters

@Tom_Punk - How did TPM go from tied at #6 to #1??? :wink:

I accidentally picked the wrong one.