millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars Movie Thread

No. No-one did.

He could have, but clearly he wasn’t prepared to continue working on the movie in the manner that Lucasfilm wanted.

We may never know exactly what went on, but given that he’s been let go at this stage, I think we can assume that the problems here are different to the case of Lord & Miller (where the suggestion was that they seemed to have all signed on for the same thing, but once filming got going Lucasfilm didn’t like what they were seeing).

It’s difficult to not put the recent news together with this report from early August.

We’re all guessing at this point, but the one thing that we know is that Trevorrow and Lucasfilm weren’t willing or able to work together to make the film that Lucasfilm wants to make.

Quality-wise, no.

But in terms of creating an audience-pleasing continuation of a decades-old franchise that had to act as a remix/remake of the first one whilst also continuing the story begun in previous movies (as well as telling a slightly new story of its own) - and making US$1.6bn at the box office into the bargain - I think it pretty much matches up exactly with what Lucasfilm might be looking for with Episode IX.

Not in a good way.

It looks pretty brutal yeah, then again there’s so much riding on Ep 9 and that’s before factoring in all the merchandising.

It not only has to pay off Eps 7-8 but also all the others.

“No. No thank you, no. I do not want to direct!”

Parker: Having one director after another shown the door is not a good way to build confidence. Still, I suppose one could argue in another fashion that it shows Lucasfilm is trying to protect the brand. But, if that is the case, why the hell did they hire these people to begin with? What is the vetting process?!

McMillan: The vetting process might just be, “Oh, they seem popular. I wonder if they like Star Wars.” Which, you know … who doesn’t like Star Wars?

Couch: So far, only J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson have beaten the Star Wars curse and seen their projects through (there are no signs Johnson will be sidelined between now and Last Jedi’s December release). What do these directors have in common? Abrams is one of the most powerful TV producers and filmmakers in the business, but on the big screen, he has worked almost exclusively within other people’s franchises. He knows how to play well with others while also doing what’s necessary to make a crowd-pleasing movie. On the surface, Johnson is pretty different from Abrams — he’s a filmmaker who has, until now, exclusively worked on his own projects when it comes to the big screen. Yet, like Abrams, he knows how to play in other people’s sandboxes. (Look no further than Breaking Bad’s Vince Gilligan entrusting Johnson to direct the show’s third-to-last — and best — episode). Compare that to the directors who were sidelined or fired: Trevorrow and Edwards had acclaimed low-budget films followed by one blockbuster before getting the job. Trank, too, had one low-budget movie (Chronicle) and was fired from Star Wars because his would-be “blockbuster” Fantastic Four didn’t turn out so well**. If anything, I think Lucasfilm must know that low-budget plus one blockbuster does not equal a Star Wars movie, necessarily.**

We can expect follow up stories over the next few days.

Maybe as soon as the day after trevorrow

I think he’ll be back before we know it. Trevorrow never dies.

Actually Trevorrow never lies but someone missed a typo and the rest is history.

Director’s Safety Not Guaranteed.

The Star Wars villain is “Snoke”. Snark is an Internet message board villain.

One for the Andy Serkis obsessives - a new image of Snoke has been published to show what he looks like in TLJ.

(And yes, I expect lots of Dobby/Gollum/old-Matthew-McConaughey jokes.)

Someone’s taking this shit way too seriously.

Yeah, that one is very clever. Neat.

That needs planning permission or it’ll be destroyed by death star superlaser.