millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars movie thread (NO SPOILERS)

Because any thread over 100 posts is just too daunting :smile:

I think that Star Wars trailer gave me goosebumps like no trailer I’ve seen in years and I include my own movies!

The Lawrence of Arabia longshot slowly revealing the crashed Imperial Cruiser, Mark’s voice-over the hint of Leia, the robot hand on R2, etc. Then OF COURSE… that recreation of Han and Chewie’s first PR shot.

I was wary. I have to admit I was really wry. But I am so so so in

MM

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - discussion (SPOILERS!!!)

I think a lot of people have ended up feeling the same. I honestly wasn’t sure I’d even see this one in the cinema, but after the two great teasers so far, I’m pretty sure I’m going to want to be there opening weekend. This looks like Star Wars again.

My wife, who is the bigger Star Wars fan, has been ecstatic since learning that George Lucas turned the franchise over to JJ Abrams. That trailer has thrilled her even more than the AoU trailers have jumpstarted me!

After the prequels (which I found disappointing) I told myself NOT to get too excited about this…WRONG! I felt like I was 7 again, hearing Luke’s voice-over and seeing R2 and the robot hand. I think JJ is just the man to handle this right. I can’t wait to see this in the theater, if possible at the same one I saw the originals.

No they’re not! Mark, if I can dig my way through The Gulag Archipelago or Jackson’s Hobbit, a hundred entries is nothing!

Had a huge viewing party when Return of the Jedi came out, and this was with a lot who all worked at DeLuxe as colorists (film-to-tape transfer, at the time) and we were all fangasmed to glory at Revenge of the Jedi (yeah, we all knew the original name). Then, there was this hiatus.

I hear tell some movies came out in the interim. They did have a couple Jedis - Yoda and R2D2 (y’all know R2D2 is a Jedi, right?). They just were not Star Wars.

Now, of all things, in 2015 we see the return of Star Wars. The real one. Maybe someday, somehow, we will find out what happened before Luke hooked up with Obi-Wan Kenobi. How the evil Empire came to be. What big bad villains there might have been before Emperor Palpatine.

Maybe. Some day.

Never seen one single Star Wars movie all the way through, but I’m familiar enough with the basic story…But this latest trailer makes me feel like a 10 year old full of adventure all over again.
That is crazy. And says a lot about the music.

Yeah, the trailer strikes all the right notes.

I am still a bit skeptical about Abrams; none of his movies have been as good as his best moments on Lost, as yet, and I thought that MI:3 was pretty bad. And the Star Trek movies were entertaining enough but, for me at least, lacked breadth - which is not something you want to happen on Star Wars. But then, they have Kasdan on board, so that hopefully won’t be a problem.

I am hopeful that Abrams will truly hit his stride here and deliver a truly awesome Star Wars movie. But even in the worst of cases, it’ll be miles ahead of the bloody prequels.

Abrams has never made a film I’ve loved but he’s shown enough in parts, that especially with the right script, he has the ability to make it. He got the ‘feel’ of vintage Spielberg in Super 8 really well but the story didn’t really work in the second half because we’re never quite sure if we care about the alien or not. On the evidence of the trailers so far he seems to have the ‘feel’ of Star Wars too.

What exactly was Abrams involvement with Lost. I read somewhere that he on,y wrote and directed one episode.

Apparently, he wrote and directed both parts of the pilot, and came up with the central concepts. But I had somehow misremembered that he wrote some more episodes.

Josh Trank left the Star Wars spin-off

http://www.starwars.com/news/josh-trank-departs-star-wars-anthology-film

Josh Trank, who was attached to direct the second Star Wars Anthology film, has decided to depart the project.

Trank said, “After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I’m making a personal decision to move forward on a different path. I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities. That said, the Star Wars universe has always been one of my biggest influences, and I couldn’t be more excited to witness its future alongside my millions of fellow Star Wars fans. I want to thank my friends Kathleen Kennedy, Kiri Hart, Simon Kinberg, and everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney for the amazing opportunity to have been a part of this. May the Force be with you all.”

Lucasfilm VP of Development Kiri Hart said “It was a privilege to collaborate with Josh. We are grateful for the energy and love of Star Wars that he brought to the process, and we wish him all the best.”

The Star Wars team is continuing to develop the project.

That’s interesting, given the rumours about the production of Fantastic Four.

Yeah. I’m hoping those rumours are wrong (or greatly exaggerated) because at this point, I’m really rooting for the FF movie to be good.

It’s a bit of a shame, really, Trank was an interesting choice for a Star Wars spin-off.

Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing what he came up with.

But probably not the right choice it seems.

No-one is denigrating his talent though, just his ability to focus it and carry the weight of a bigger film.

And he’s got time to learn that.

Now though, we’ll see who they get to replace him?

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11182066_10153350274467193_3932164461561890801_n.jpg?oh=ba543bfd08a3feea0feebf13e88e6ab9&oe=55BF4CEA

I’ve just seen this image and I really wish that there was a bigger version. It almost looks poster worthy.

So far I’m still highly skeptical about how good this will be. What we’ve seen so far relies almost entirely on the nostalgia factor. That does not necessarily make good movies.

The prequels all had mightily impressive trailers, and cool looking shit…looked just great, until we saw the actual movies. Fool me three times, shame on Lucasfilm. Maybe fool me the fourth time, shame on me?

I think Abrams can deliver the mood, Super 8 showed he can emulate that (in that case with Spielberg) well, I loved the first half of it but the story let it down at the end and that’s always going to be the crucial element here too. We know the actors are all fine so the script is the unknown element until you finally watch it.