millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond

The first Star Wars stand-alone will be Rogue One, starring Felicity Jones: http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-is-the-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film-rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-viii?linkId=12857863

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977.

Love the idea of a Rogue Squadron film, I’m on board with this. I do find Felicity Jones way overrated, I thought all she really did in The Theory Of Everything was be posh and pretty and make serious faces, but maybe she’ll be good in this. I approach this with an open and optimistic mind, it’s not good for me to keep being so grouchy about the thing I love the most.

I think that was all she was asked to do?

Many actresses have spoken about how boring the roles they get actually are.

For what it’s worth, I thought she did fine with what she had.

Disney to Lucas: Up yours.

I’d buy it.

That story just links to another story from 16th August last year.

The rumours of a BR release for the unaltered trilogy have been doing the rounds for years now, but nothing has come of it. It will be interesting to see if it ever happens, but I’m not going to hold my breath (not least because of the tangle surrounding A New Hope, to which I believe Fox has distribution rights in perpetuity).

But where there’s money to be made, I’m sure life will find a way. :slight_smile:

(That smiley still scares me.)

Rats.

I’d really like them to do it.

A post-Jedi mini-series?

l see Marvel are taking a cue from TV in calling minis “Event Series” now.

I like the news of this series that fills in the gaps between Jedi and Awakens, I had assumed they’d do it after Awakens so as to keep the universe a surprise. I suppose in theory it would work from a marketing standpoint for the film to do the comic first, but I don’t think a single person who buys this comic wouldn’t have watched the film otherwise. In terms of comic sales, would the comic be able to capitalise more on the film before or after after the film’s release?

Re: the Blu-ray release of the original theatrical editions, I think it’s definitely a question of when rather than if. There’s money to be made there, Disney know this and will 100% be making that money. They’ll wait for the special editions to run their current course, then release another version. Was the project to do them in 3D shelved, or will that be the next step after original theatrical editions, do we think?

I suspect my connection with the special editions is different to a lot of other people here, they really are my Star Wars. I had them on VHS, so they were my first taste of Star Wars as a kid (I’m probably one of the youngest people to have only known a time when there was the OT, Phantom Menace was released when I was 7, so I only just snuck in there), they were the versions of the film I went back to and watched to death, so they’re what I know. I remember learning about the fanboy rage about them from the internet in my teens and initially finding it all amusing, I’d never known what was going on in that scene with Greedo, but I’d never ever thought Han shot Greedo because Greedo shot first, just looked a bit weird, I thought Han shot Greedo twice and one had ricocheted back at him. I’d definitely like to see the theatrical editions in Blu-ray, though, the further bastardisation in the current Blu-ray editions ensured I’d be waiting for the original cuts. If they want to do a Blu-ray release of the 90s VHS editions, I’d snap that up! [/half joking, half not]

I’d buy a Blu-Ray player for it.

There’s 30 years gap between them, plenty of scope to tell post Jedi stories that don’t reveal much of what happens in the new film or its status quo. It looks from the picture they’ll be doing immediately after Jedi, with the crazy level of secrecy involved around this film I can’t see them breaking it all a couple of months before it comes out in a comic. Expect small hints at best I’d say.

I’ve been excited for new post-RotJ material since the reboot was announced, so I hope they do great things with this one. There doesn’t seem to have been creator names announced, does there? I’m hoping they get some stalwarts from the old EU to come back and usher in the new era.

Apparently Cassaday has announced today that he’s leaving the main Star Wars comic after issue #6. No great surprise I guess. It’ll be interesting to see who follows him.

It’s…

Stuart Immonen! http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/stuart-immonen-is-marvels-new-star-wars-artist

I approve.

Good choice. I love Immonen’s energy.

Stuart Immonen :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Potential details of the new Ep 7 trailer which will be shown before Age Of Ultron.

Don’t click the link if you want to avoid spoilers!

Cool. I forgot we had a second trailer coming so soon.

Oh, it’s rumour info from those MakingOfStarWars gits.

Marvel’s Edelweiss catalogue for Sept-Dec 2015, link is over in the Trades Thread, has the writer for this as Rucka!

That’d sell me it.