millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trekkin' Across the Universe: Picard is Pic-back

Makes it sound like Feech La Manna just got out prison and started puttin’ a new crew together.

See in terms of the Picard cannon going into this new series…

Wil it just be a case of STNG and the movies that featured NG cast?

Or is there anything else, eg books etc

There’s no way this is going to pay attention to the books or comics.

It’s Picard meets Firefly!

There has been ongoing panic over this aspect - which will continue, this is the internet.

True, but the books and comics will have to pay attention to it. One of the oddities of Trek books/comics is they don’t count as ‘canon’ but Film/TV does and the rule is the books/comics follow its lead, even though they aren’t to be the actual story, which is why the whole Hobus thing became such a mess. I don’t see the benefit, if the books don’t count then they shouldn’t have to be tied to Film/TV, the counterpoint is they are tie-in material so they have to follow that which they tie-in to.

Anyway, this bit caught my eye:

While learning about all of these characters is interesting in its own right, some of the descriptions also help piece together some of the show’s plot. It sounds like they will be playing into Picard’s interest in archaeology, and his main mission will revolve around some sort of artifact that’s been discovered. It’s also interesting to note that the only character that has any mention of Starfleet in their description is Starton. While Alana is a former intelligence officer, it doesn’t say for whom. So now, with all of this information, I have to ask myself if Picard is actually still in Starfleet.

Romulus goes up in flames 2387, this show is 2389, the books are at 2386. That’s more than enough time in-narrative for them to adjust for this. For myself, I don’t think it’d be difficult to square it all with the space they’ve got to do so.

Bringing in Hobus also opens doors to some delicious possibilities on the politics - what do the likes of Martok and Garak make of their hated adversaries’ homeworld becoming ash for instance? Martok’s still Chancellor, Garak’s a still relatively new Castellan, someone ought to do something with that.

Yes, but will Vash show up? Or Q???

Sounds like they’re going in the right direction. Also sounds like Picard is working on Data.

Q’s busy. Parenting.

EDIT: De Lancie did address this some years back:

http://www.startrek.com/article/john-de-lancie-answers-fan-questions

Given the alternate timeline scenario of the recent Star Trek reboot, there’s no reason why Q couldn’t turn up in a subsequent film. How open to that that would you be, and could you foresee it happening?

I’d be very interested. The only problem is that I, too, am suffering from this mortal thing called aging and there’s a point at which it might not make sense. What might make sense is that you hear my voice, but I just don’t know that it would make sense to have an aging Q. I would have a problem with that as a viewer, and I don’t think I’d be the only one.

There’s a version where he did a variant on this at a con and someone quipped ‘do audio work’, de Lancie’s response was apparently along the line of ‘excellent idea, call my agent’.

He could easily provide voiceover, sort of like Picard dwelling on things he and Q have discussed previously, finding new wisdom from an old sparring partner.

Or simply have him make himself appear to be constantly and exagerratingly aging in order to mock Picard’s age and mortality. That’s the most Q dick-move ever.

A half senile old Picard helps a very past his prime Worf get a hereto unknown female clone of Worf to safety while being pursued by the group who created the clone, Section 31.

Wogan?

Did Jonathan Ross hack your account?

Took me a second to realize what you were doing there. I was thinking…what the hell is he saying about Worf???, and then…yeah. Ha!

Just a heads up, Humble is having a bundle for Star Trek comics:

Tier 1, $1

• Star Trek: Waypoint Special #1
  • Star Trek: Waypoint Vol. 1
  • Star Trek (2011-2016) Vol. 1-13
  • Star Trek: Deviations
  • Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Space Between
  • Star Trek: Boldly Go Vol. 1-3

Tier 2, $8

• Star Trek: Alien Spotlight Vol. 1-2
  • Star Trek: New Visions Vol. 1-8
  • Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Hive
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Intelligence Gathering
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Ghosts
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Through the Mirror
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation 20/20

Tier 3, $15

• Star Trek: Discovery: Succession
  • Star Trek: Discovery Annual 2018
  • Star Trek: The Q Conflict #1
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Mirror Broken
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Terra Incognita #1-6
  • Star Trek/Green Lantern Vol. 1-2
  • Star Trek vs. Transformers #1-4
  • Star Trek: Discovery: Light of Kahless
  • Star Trek: Harlan Ellison’s City on the Edge of Forever

Already did that in the series finale “All Good Things.”

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-u43WixstUNs/VJF4Jqt9p0I/AAAAAAAAcOg/IepK9IwVo7A/s1600/tng%2Ball%2Bgood%2Bthings%2Bpicard%2Band%2Bq%2B.jpg

Truth be told, I’m generally forgiving of “aging” actors reprising their immortal or otherwise unaging characters.

If David Boreanaz and James Marsters were to play Angel and Spike again twenty years on, I’m okay with being older. I can suspend my disbelief.

If Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy were to reprise their Doctor Who roles, I’ll gladly look the other way and ignore the fact that obviously older and wearing wigs.

And with Star Trek, they can always just say that Data or Q chose to appear older; Data would want to appear more human (and, in the aforementioned “All Good Things” he put a streak of gray in his hair) and Q… well, that would just be Q being Q.

Man, Michelle Hurd has just made a career of hopping from show to show as a supporting character.

The in-depth retrospective approaches the edgy Deep Space Nine as the most-misunderstood of the franchises that have flown under the banner of Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek brand. When it premiered in January 1993 as a spin-off of Star Trek: The Next Generation many devoted Trek fans thought the show flouted Roddenberry’s overarching vision of humanity’s noble and united future in the age of interstellar exploration.

The documentary is co-directed by Deep Space Nine showrunner Ira Steven Behr and For the Love of Spock filmmaker David Zappone and includes extensive new interviews with the cast and crew of Deep Space Nine .

More than a reflective project, What We Left Behind offers a glimpse into an alternate universe where Deep Space Nine is ramping-up to its eighth season premiere. That’s because the reunited writers of the original series are spotlighted as they craft a brand-new episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine , developing what would be the eighth-season premiere if the show were to return to the air today.

That structural gimmick seems unnecessary, and directing a documentary about your own show seems cheeky, but I loved DS9 so I’ll probably watch this.