millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trekkin' Across the Universe: Picard is Pic-back

ScarJo as Jake Sisko

Kunis was nearly my Deanna but I went for younger casting with everyone like the TOS reboot.

Q is interesting but I think you could push the boat out and get a massive star for him rather than Barrowman (who I love and would enjoy in Star Trek).

The only acceptable Picard replacement…

I think also with Data you need someone who is perpetually young looking and somewhat other worldly. He would make a great Noonian Soong and Lore though.

Uncanny.

New Trek, new Picard, now with extreme violence.

The pilot has Picard nutting Q.

Heh. No one is rebooting Next Gen.

Paramount has a universe to explore but, as we’ve seen with ‘Star Wars’ not all the bits of a universe are equally interesting to an audience.

The TV side of things is going well, so they’s expanding on that, but they’ll be trying to develop something for the big screen too.

Ah, it’s only a matter of time.

They’ll probably at least wait until they’re finished with those characters in their original form, which the Picard series shows they’re not.

I don’t think Next Gen has the cultural awareness. despite the TV show and several films, it’s not the general public’s Enterprise.

I don’t really think that’s true, TNG memes are always knocking about online. But either way it doesn’t matter, if you are rebooting Star Trek and get the right cast and make it entertaining then it doesn’t matter if it’s not TOS, people will be interested in seeing it.

Now, Trek captain Alex Kurtzman is pulling back the curtain on the series revealing that a cataclysmic event depicted in J.J. Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek movie impacted Picard in a big way. In that film, written by Kurtzman and former producing partner Roberto Orci, it was revealed that Nimoy’s Spock failed to save the Romulan homeworld Romulus from a supernova several years after the events of Nemesis.

Now, Kurtzman — as part of a Creative Space interview with The Hollywood Reporter (posting Wednesday) — is ready to reveal one massive clue about the premise of his CBS All Access Picard series, due in late 2019:“Picard’s life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire,” Kurtzman tells THR .

The Picard series will be the first onscreen Trek story set in the aftermath of that event, which would have altered the balance of power in the galaxy. The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard, who has a long and complicated relationship with the Romulans, the alien race that split from Vulcan society thousands of years ago and founded a separate civilization. The Romulans went on to control a portion of the galaxy, and the empire was in opposition to the Federation for all of Picard’s career.

One of his goals as captain of the Enterprise was seeking a peace between the Romulan Empire and the Federation. Picard teamed with Spock during the events of the Next Generation two-part story “Unification,” in which they learned that Romulans claiming to seek a peaceful reunification with the Vulcans were actually planning a secret takeover. And in the events of Nemesis , Picard faced off with a clone of himself (Tom Hardy) created by the Romulans.

Kurtzman says Stewart agreed to return only if he could defy what people are used to seeing with Trek . "He threw down an amazing gauntlet and said, ‘If we do this, I want it to be so different, I want it to be both what people remember but also not what they’re expecting at all, otherwise why do it?’ " Kurtzman recalls of their initial discussions for what would become the highly anticipated CBS All Access series.

My feeling is that Next Gen memes are not used that much by the general public, they’re swapped by geeks.

Star Trek generally, yes, everyone knows the basics, but the specifics? Kirk, Spock, The Enterprise, maybe they know the life expectancy of Red Shirt can be measure in minutes, or maybe not?

This stuff is like sports, and just because people have heard of basketball it doesn’t mean everyone can name all the teams out there, or the historically significant players. Fans can, everyone else… not so much.

And Paramount wont bet $250m on it either.

So basically they are making more Star Trek that isn’t Star Trek.

Been hearing that since TNG, to quote another returning series… time is a flat circle.

30 and under everyone is a geek to some degree. I’ve met people who say, “The bald guy?,” when you mention Star Trek and Picard and Worf is what they perceive having grown up with TNG movies.

trek