millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trekkin' Across the Universe: Picard is Pic-back

Speaking of space battles:

Look, why the hell are they swooping around 100 yards away from the damn cube? We know phasers can fire over hundreds, if not thousands, of miles. The Borg cube is just sitting there. The starships should be acting like battleships, not like Stuka dive-bombers :angry:

Because it works.

To be fair, they’re not acting like dive-bombers, they’re manoeuvring around the ship, but with the exception of the Defiant, they’re only fast in comparison to their opponent.

And another thing, while I’m in a ranting mood :wink: How many of those ships have their crew’s children on board? Have any of them bothered to detach their civilian-filled saucers before the battle? (I know it’s not that type of ship in that image, but if we could see Picard he’d be merrily taking 30 or 40 pre-teens into a combat zone.)

Pretty sure it’s canon that none of those ship classes carry families. The bigger question is whether all the Galaxy class ships you see operating in the Dominion War did.

Heh. I recently watched the TNG pilot with the kid, and they detatched the saucer, and I was all, right, I forgot it could do that. They did not really follow through on that idea on the show, did they?

Without replicators you can’t maintain a steady supply of Earl Grey tea.

They did it a couple more times but it was never a regular thing.

With slightly better replicators you might even be able to enter “hot” as your pre-set default preference :wink:

Here we go:

Off the top of my head, they did it in the arsenal of freedom, best of both worlds, and generations. The enterprise E had a saucer separation worked out by the designers but obviously never seen in the movies. It was used at least once in the novels though

I did a Trek fanfic piece - good grief, some thirty years ago! - set ahead of DS9’s end with newer ships. Okay, those who saw ST Beyond, the enemy weapon was sort of the system i developed for the Federation, Simply, one-pilot dink versions of Defiant-level single warships, happily attached to the exterior of the main starship - kinda like remora. If needed, it could deploy the sixty ships. Why? Starships have shields as well as weapons. The intent is not to destroy, but to stop and contain. The main ship has lots of power. But all the dinky ships give incredible flexibility with options. They’re nor just for battle. If one ship takes days to orbit and map, how quickly can sixty get it done? A search pattern? Intense!

The Borg were close to a hive mind, but really individuals (from a range of species) linked together. My tale would have them face a true hive mind, one that held a sector of space and was growing … and swarming.

A big problem with franchises is that they quickly become self-referential and start spending far too much time trying to “fix” internal “errors” that really come down to writer’s shortcuts. The Kessel Run; Warp 9.9; transporters; whether the communication works; all the tropes to speed the plot. I figured bringing in nature itself as an opponent would be a bit different.

Hey, it was either that, or Triffids!

Makes me think of this a bit:

And those criticisms are fair.

For David’s info, I’d non-spoiler summary the series as:

• Books 1-3: The best trio of the lot.
  • 4-6: A weaker trio overall.
  • 7-9: 7-8 form the first two-part, longer form story, 9 brings the long arc to a sort-of conclusion.

After this the series shifted to a far more ambitious, expansive story but at a far slower pace. It was split across three strands, with each one recapping events in the others. This second arc worked out as out:

Main ‘Honor’ strand: 3 books
A ‘next generation’ series: 2 books
A future spy series: 2 books

The problems were:

• Recapping pissed off those who had read the books while being irritating for those who hadn’t. Just doing a set reading order might have worked better than trying to give readers ‘choice’.
  • The plot slowed down, way down compared to the earlier volumes.
  • Weber really likes his talking heads and meetings.
  • For all that he does get the books out - he’s no Martin or Rothfuss - not knowing how many to go or when it’ll conclude and getting a smidgen each time is going to piss people off.

For me? I stockpiled the lot and read them as a 7-book arc 2 and I found that worked. I’m doing that on arc three which is 3 ‘Honor’ books, plus 1 for each of the two side stories. The finale is due October this year.

!? But it has everything you’ve been asking for here!

Regarding the whole issue of dogfighting: Star Trek Online has an interesting explanation for the need for starships to attempt to manuever around one other.

Starship shields in Trek (STO trek, anyway) are a collection of different fields protecting different areas of the ship; forward and aft, starboard, port shields etc. Every ship, no matter how powerful, has a set energy budget: power to each generator has to be rationed. Every ship typically diverts the most power to the shield facing the enemy to minimise incoming damage.

It also takes a brief period of time to divert power to a shield generator. This means that manuevering is very useful in combat - you’re always going to want to keep your strongest shield facing the enemy, while trying to hit their weakest one.

This explains DS9’s formation tactics, as forming a wall of starships leaves their opponents only able to hit their forward shields. It also means that flanking tactics are important in large engagements: if you can hit your opponent on two sides you halve the effectiveness of their shields.

This is actually alluded to enough in DS9’s dialogue that I’m accepting it as canon.

On the subject of transporters as tech, the transporter accidents split Kirk into good and bad versions, another accident put the landing party into another dimension, another time it was time travel, another was turning the crew into children and so on.

Such diverse outcomes from transporter malfunctions. :smile: should be studied…

Riker got split into two separate people.

Still safer than traveling by plane.