millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trekkin' Across the Universe: Picard is Pic-back

Welcome to the brand new Star Trek thread. As suggested by @ParkerMcTwatface, this a thread for us to watch and discuss individual episodes of Star Trek together.

Across all of the various series (yes…including the Animated series). And the movies. And maybe even some fan films…

In a shift in direction, we are currently discussing the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season Six Episode - Far Beyond the Stars. It is unique in that almost the full cast of DS9 portrays human characters, without their alien costumes, as a rare example of metafiction in the fictional Star Trek universe. It sees Captain Sisko having visions of a pulp fiction writer in 1950’s New York. The episode deals with issues of racism in a far starker way than had been seen in past Trek.

Enjoy and come back here and talk about it.

Also let us know what episode we should watch next.

Just back from Star Trek... (Spoilers Welcome)
Star Trek: Discovery - Series 1 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers abound)
Star Trek: Beyond looks brilliant BUT...

With that title, you asked for this!

If I may make a suggestion, I think watching the whole series might hurt participation. I think if you take a week and watch selected episodes, maybe one week for each season, would make more sense. So three episodes of TOS first season, then second season and so on. And include Voyager and Enterprise in your tour as there’s some greats in there.

You could even vote for which ones to watch if you’re interested.

I also suggest we have a thread for comments on the Beyond movie and a different one for this grand book club type thing. Simon you should be able to edit the thread title.

Aye Captain. :wink:

I suspect that you may have a point. It might be best to test the waters first and see what the reaction is like.

So @ParkerMcTwatface, @ChrisS, @Lorcan_Nagle and indeed anyone who wants to speak up - What do we start with?

I’ve been dipping in and out of random episodes since Trek returned to Netflix, so in the last couple of weeks I’ve watched Way of the Warrior (DS9), Relativity (Voyager), Broken Bow (Enterprise), Best of Both Worlds, Family, Final Assignment, Schims, Sarek and Timescape (all TNG), so I’m ready to talk about any of those right away.

I’m probably going to continue waching thru in release order from TOS, because my mind can’t comprehend jumping in and out.

However I am happy in principle to go along with you guys if you are pulling eps out at random.

My vote for an initial episode is Balance of Terror…not just because I watched it recently, but because it’s great.

I’m probably a bit fonder of the original series than the others.

I could go for Balance of Terror. Just so we could quote the end of the Futurama Star Trek episode.

I haven’t seen that…but let’s do that then.

Get watching Balance of Terror then.

Don’t worry about needing to know anything about it - If you know what the Enterprise is, who Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are, you’ll be fine. And if you don’t, you’ll catch up.

In another universe, we could have been friends.

Episode 10. Balance of Terror?

More like episode 9, loser! In your face! (Simon) victory is mine!!! :triumph:

I think that I’m starting to see a very different side to you Bernadette :worried:

Edit: @PaulF has just posted that the new series is going to be on Netflix. Wahey!

Lots more Star Trek for us to chat about

When do we need to have balance of terror watched by roughly?

Some arbitrary time in the future when we decide to start talking about something else…after which we will introduce a system of strict penalties for anyone who talks about another episode…Or something… :wink:

I am planning to update the thread title as we change episodes, but I don’t think we need to worry too much about it…

Do we agree?

I’ll get a watch tomorrow, there is much I need to watch tonight - Preacher, The Mickey Donovan Show, Ballers and Vice Principles and I’m still catching up on Houdini and Doyle.

I have TOS memorized.

Very soon, I might recommend “The Menagerie”. That would be “The Cage” expanded with the original cast, particularly Captain Pike.

(btw, Greenwood’s Pike was maybe my favorite role in nuTrek.)

No… no… Star Trek?? Futurama??? :confused:
:confounded:
:thinking: I wonder was he really such an evil energy gas? @Lorcan_Nagle

Shatner: I wonder, my friends, was he really such an evil energy gas?

Nichols: He did give us eternal youth.

Koenig: 24-hour Laundromat.

Takei: A full assortment of rum, both spiced and regular.

Nimoy: Truly, it was a paradise.

And all you had to put up with was one really annoying Star Trek fan. :slight_smile: