Comics Creators

Star Trekkin' Across the Universe: Discussing The Porgs

Right in the ear.

I’m not really much of a Trek fan as I’ve liked the series more than other similar shows, but I certainly don’t really get into everything Trek. Generally, I really like the original series, the next generation and deep space 9 and a few of the movies - including the first one Abrams directed.

With Star Trek shows - with almost any show that I will watch more than a few episodes - the one and only element that would get me and keep me watching is simple. It would make me want to be a member of the crew. That’s true for me even in shows like the Walking Dead. Even though the basic premise is horrific, I would like to be one of the survivors in that group at least for the first season. Even in Game of Thrones - which can be very offputting - as long as the three main characters are still there with their various “teams” of allies, it gives the audience an inside track making the world an attractive place.

That works for shows like Buffy, Angel, Stargate (not SGU so much) - most of the CW shows - and more recently Agents of SHIELD and The Orville. Honestly, it was what made Teen Titans and X-Men comics so popular in the 80’s. The fans wanted to be on the teams.

I don’t look for that in movies or novels so much because I won’t be spending as much time on those. For a counterexample, I think The Expanse and Magicians are well made shows, but after watching about six episodes in each, they weren’t inviting. I wouldn’t want to be anyone in either of those shows.

I’ve been interested in Discovery, but I haven’t really heard or seen anything that would be worth the time or adding yet another subscription service (is it on Hulu or Netflix in the US, yet)?

Is that the impression of the show? Does it invite in the audience the desire to be members on the crew of Discovery (or in the cast of the show)? Or it is about watching what happens to them.

It probably won’t be on any other service other than CBS All Access in the US. DISCO is one of their incentive shows to sign up for the service. I think that is also why they are releasing it in weekly installments versus dumping them at once: If they dropped them all in one go, I think a lot of people would sign up, binge the series then drop the service after they finished watching them.

Personally, I think they could score some additional advertising review by airing it on the network in the summer.

Funny story, but making interesting observations about sexism in TV productions:

I love how everyone in the TNG cast calls the Starfleet uniform The Space Suit.