millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trekkin' Across the Universe: Discussing The Porgs

I didn’t think there really were any personal questions left to raise in MW - only tribbling, perplexing ones.

Hey, I was only seeking cuddles.

Lady Tribble sounds somewhat Dickensian in my mind. I haven’t quite decided what type of character she’d be.

That or a character in a PG Wodehouse story who has enlisted Bertie Wooster to steal an antique Cow Creamer.

Lady Tribbles, Jeeves and Strax…

I would watch that show.

Just because…

I’d watch that show too. My question is - would Kirk be Pine-ing for Lady Tribbles?

I do want to say something about “More Tribbles, More Troubles” from TAS:

This was a surprisingly serious episode. The funny bits literally come in the last few minutes. The drama with the Klingon weapon and the Enterprise’s mission of mercy are handled very well. In their own way, the Tribbles are actually a threat. In a way, the humor at the end felt forced. It probably would have worked a bit better if the humor had been dialed down a notch or two.

Overall, a very good episode.

Oops! Late as usual (Planetary next).

I’ve seen the TOS and DS9 tribbles on several occasions, and from what I remember, The Trouble with Tribbles is one of the better episodes (I’m a big TOS fan, but there are a lot of terrible episodes - just terrible). For sure it’s a tongue-in-cheek episode, which I think works well in a SF series once in a while to counterbalance the more earnest stuff, but there’s also a modicom of drama with Darvin’s plot, and conflict with the Klingons. My only complaint, which happens a few times across all ST, and other SF, is a member of an alien race disguising themselves as another. Just bribe some mofo guys. It’s not Balance of Terror or City on the Edge of Forever, but it’s great fun.

I can remember being absolutely astounded the first time I watched Tribbles and Tribble-ations. DS9 was well into it’s stride, and Sisko was turning out to be a brillant commander. But still, T&T stood out for the way it combined clever use of the TOS plot, the weaving together of the two crews, and showing love for the original and its wit, all bookended by the brilliant, tone-setting Department of Temporal Investigations. I don’t know whether it’s possible to enjoy T&T without having seen the original, but as a Trek fan, it ticked all the boxes.

So, I just watched MT,MT. Oh dear, the episode didn’t work on any level. I imagine TAS was marketed to the young end of TOS viewers and even younger animated cartoon viewers in general, so I imagine, for them, the episode would have been as dull as ditchwater. Nothing happened. I think someone had the idea that TTwT had been a successful light-hearted episode so let’s do that again for the kids, but just didn’t understand what made the original fun.

The few episodes of TAS I’ve seen so far have generally been very good, considering the format, the market and the era, and it definitely works better when it’s working on original ideas: Yesteryear and Beyond the Farthest Star work really well.

Summary: tribbles knock Jar Jar Binks and Ewoks into a cocked hat :wink:

So, shall we go for Darmok next, then Tapestry?

The masochist in me likes the idea of doing a re watch of the Slow Motion Picture…If only to see what debate it prompts.

But Darmok and Tapestry are great episodes, so maybe we could do that afterwards.

Oh, I definitely want to do TMP. It’s a really interesting piece, especially because it’s so flawed

It is beautiful and spends a lot of time (an awful lot of time pointing that out) without ever being good.

And this is when we start commenting stuff about Phase II, Planet of the Titans and all that? :stuck_out_tongue:

totally! When and if we do all the pilots I intend to talk about the links between Phase II and TNG, for example

Ahhh, proto Riker & Deanna :wink:

Deltans and Betazoids, oh my!

So now we’re watching Darmok…

“Darmok” is the 102nd episode of the science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, the second episode of the fifth season. The episode features Paul Winfield, who previously played Captain Terrell in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Ashley Judd in her debut acting performance.[1][2] It describes an incident in which the crew of the Enterprise is unable to establish meaningful communication with the crew of an alien vessel, which is resolved by the struggle of the ships’ captains to defend each other from a vicious beast. It is often cited as one of the best episodes of the series

Enjoy. It’s a good 'un. I’m looking forward to seeing how people review this one.

Breaking news?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/doco-to-reveal-theoretical-star-trek-ds9-s8/

Ye Gods, I would have loved to see Planet of the Titans. It probably would have been a pretentious, glorious disaster that killed the franchise, but, like Jodorowsky’s Dune, it would have been a mad, beautiful thing to behold. Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon, Ralph McQuarrie designs. A bunch of prententious philosophical twaddle. The mind boggles.

“We cannot survive another hit. Not that I’m bovvered. It’s not worth getting worked up about really.”

This is why Data was a terrible idea for a TV character. A great idea for a character, but a terrible idea for TV. The Enterprise cannot survive another hit, and he sounds like he’s a bit bored while reading off a cue card. Which is great acting by Brent Spiner, because Data likely is a bit bored while reading off a cue card (unless boredom is an emotion, in which case he’s not even that). But it’s hardly gripping television.

Proper drama: WE CANNA TAKE ANOTHER HIT CAPTAIN!!!

TNG drama: We cannot survive anotherzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz