millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 2 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers for s2e4)

After watching the season two premiere, I really want to see a series with Pike, Spock, Number One, Colt, and Boyce set aboard the Enterprise.

Hmm… what was Curzon Dax doing at that time? Or, probably not “Dax” at that point. Maybe an Ensign?

I think it was Audrid at the time? There’s a short story in the Lives of Dax anthology set in 2265, where she and Pike encounter the parasites from TNG series 1. That’s just before the accident that cripples Pike.

The second episode is minutes away from starting.

S02E02

• S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

• W
    A
    R
    N
    I
    N
    G

Tilly gets some good material, is starting to finally matter narratively. “New Eden” otherwise kind of continues Discovery’s inability to commit to classic Star Trek storytelling even though it keeps trying.

I really really really really really really really really liked that one. I mean seriously, loved it. Better use of humour, Tilly was everywhere and not overbearing, nice little moments for Owosekun and Detmer, Saru got to be an awesome captain again.

I like the idea the the red bursts are leading Discovery to places where people are in danger and otherwise would have died. It’s a really interesting idea to explore - and both the asteroid the Hiawatha was stranded on and the planet this week were set towards disaster by something to do a gravitational shift, which is odd.

At this stage, I think it’s safe to say that this is how DISCO is integrating classic Trek storytelling with modern TV. It’s never going to be TOS, or TNG, or any other prior version of the franchise. It’s going to be DISCO.

Let me rephrase: It’s the execution of the colony scenes that was the least effective element of the episode for me. The writers always seem clumsy when asked to do stuff like that. They suddenly forget how to write characters in convincing fashion and instead begin to feel artificial, the way some fans view, say, Tilly.

I agree with some of that for sure, Burnham’s questions about the New Edenites made me think of that particularly annoying brand of YouTube athiesm. But they weren’t enough to detract for me.

I don’t think the episode spent enough time on them for it to be too distracting.

On a separate note, can we take a minute to talk about the gorgeous establishing shots this week? I always loved the shot in Voyager’s opening credits of the ship flying through a gas cloud, and the sequence of Discovery emerging from a cloud this week was similarly amazing. I really liked the panning shot from the ship ‘up’ towards the planet when the away team beamed down.

I know I’m slow on the uptake, but I have literally just realised why you all call it DISCO instead of STD.

The official acronym is DSC, Memory Alpha and a lot of fan groups use DIS to be consistent with ENT and VOY. The only people who use STD are haters who think they’re funny.

But most fans use DISCO because of the T-shirts.

Totally loving this series of Discovery so far, slightly dodgy science aside.

ALSO loving my ace new Discovery hoodie :grin:

Oh that is nice!

Tres cool!

So fucking cool

Live now:

The traditional acronyms don’t include “ST” — TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT. I prefer DSC; DIS immediately makes me think “Disney.”

I start thinking diss track

Wow. Holy crap. That was an actual episode of Star Trek. We actually have Star Trek back. Fantastic.