millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 2 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers for s2e14)

My ebook copy should be out on Tuesday.

1 Like

Ben, how did you get on with Drastic Measures?

I’m over halfway thru it. But struggling to read more than a chapter or two every few weeks.

I find it a bit boring.

I think the reason being that I don’t care for the discovery characters much at all, due to the approach that was taken with Discovery and the fact that it’s only been for one, shorter season - whereas I don’t have that problem with the likes of TNG, DS9 and Enterprise, therefore I like ‘spending more time’ with the characters in those books, making it a more enjoyable read when the plot isn’t going anywhere or they are not particularly well written - which I think both of the first two Discovery books suffer from in some places. The first one in any of the scenes where Spock and Burnham were in the alien spacecraft bored the hole off me.

I’m going to finish it eventually and I have the Saru book and plan to pick up the Tilly one, but Drastic Measures has been a bit of a slog.

2 Likes

I could read any story focusing on Burnham. She was instantly a Star Trek icon for me. I could read any story focusing on Lorca. In this instance I would again indulge the books’ penchant for creating their own versions of things if it meant I could read more Lorca. That was a great character. The others are more story-specific in their appeal, which is not to say they’re not interesting, but that they haven’t yet reached the same level, but then they’ve only been around for a season, and very little has been revealed about them, and everything that has went directly into what we’ve seen, and that’s been enough.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought it was a hoot, the flashbacks and the final punchline were wonderful, and a great callback to TOS

2 Likes

I really hope these shorts are going to be available on UK Netflix once the new series launches. I’d like to be able to watch them properly without faffing around with alternative methods.

5 Likes

I’ve only just got Netflix, is Star Trek on same day release?

1 Like

Next day, at least here in Argentina.

2 Likes

DISCO episodes tended to show up around 8 or 9AM the morning after they showed in the US last year.

1 Like

I tend to read a Trek book in about 2-3 hours, so tend to read them over a day.

For me, Drastic Measures worked due to the central concept of seeing both how the real Lorca is and how he and Georgiou knew each other. I tend to find Ward one of the weaker writers but he does also come up with good concepts which makes up for it.

2 Likes

Watched “Escape Artist.” Loved it. The most classic Mudd DISCO has yet produced. Hopefully more to come!

2 Likes

0 Likes

1 Like

Why would Spock mention having an adopted sister?

In “Journey to Babel” Kirk and company didn’t know that Spock’s father was Sarek, a big shot diplomat, and in Star Trek V it was revealed that Spock never told anyone about Sybok, either.

It’s completely within character for Spock to not discuss his family and personal life.

There are plenty of continuity issues with Discovery but this is not one of them.

10 Likes

Are there?

0 Likes

No, not really.

2 Likes

A shattered ship, a divided crew—trapped in the infernal nightmare of conflict!

Hearing of the outbreak of hostilities between the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire, Captain Christopher Pike attempts to bring the U.S.S. Enterprise home to join in the fight. But in the hellish nebula known as the Pergamum, the stalwart commander instead finds an epic battle of his own, pitting ancient enemies against one another—with not just the Enterprise, but her crew as the spoils of war.

Lost and out of contact with Earth for an entire year, Pike and his trusted first officer, Number One, struggle to find and reunite the ship’s crew, all while Science Officer Spock confronts a mystery that puts even his exceptional skills to the test—with more than their own survival possibly riding on the outcome!

3 Likes

So… when is season two going to turn up on Netflix UK?

3 Likes

The morning after it airs in the US.

5 Likes

Friday!

5 Likes

As in TFI?

2 Likes