millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 2 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers for s2e14)

Oh, there was a fan backlash against Wrath of KHAAAAAAAAN!

No much of one, but still

1 Like

Well, yes. In terms of the TV franchise, no.

1 Like

Well I was a fan of this thread until the last two posts!!

That’s not my Star Trek: Discovery - new series coming 2017.

3 Likes

I was wondering which came first? KHAAAAAAAAN or KAAAAAAANEDAAAAAA? They both came out in 1982. Wrath came out in June but no sure if it got to Japan by the time Akira was published. hmmmm

3 Likes

KHAAAAAAAAAN! came first. KANEDAAAAAAAAAA is more of an anime thing and it was 1988

1 Like

For anyone who doesn’t already know, we’re watching Wrath of Khan at the moment over at the Star Trekkin thread.

4 Likes
11 Likes

That’s funny.

Jason Isaccs. He’s a bit of a legend. :smile:

3 Likes

Not surprising, but confirmation that they don’t get the freedom to swear that The Good Fight do on CBS All Access. Probably for the best.

3 Likes

Maybe that points out why I am not excited. Some of Roddenberry’s flaws were that he dealt with religion, money and partisan politics by simply ignoring them and sweeping them under the rug. In 1966, this was a wonderful relief. Seeing a multiracial crew gave hope in very hard times. (Watts riots, thing leading to Chicago '68.)

Right now we are at a sea change in America - and Great Britain - when it comes to confronting issues of religion, money, partisan politics and racism. This time it has become clear that there is no “sweeping under the rug”, we must confront and resolve these issues.

Now, if the Klingons were suddenly narcissistic stupid politicians, we might have a show.

1 Like

Even atheists say “For God’s sake!”

1 Like

I can’t believe that McCoy never swore using God’s name.

3 Likes

Or Kirk:

4 Likes

Picard definitely said Mon Dieu back when it was a thing that he’d pepper random French phrases into his dialogue.

2 Likes

And well…there is Chief O’Brien…

8 Likes

Pretty sure Chekov says, “My god…Vas anyone in there?” in Generations, and Bones says, “My god, man…[something or other]” in the new movies.

But the general point stands. Seems like they’re trying to grapple with the famous edicts directly, the ones they think still matter and the ones they think don’t.

2 Likes

New EW Issue Details Bryan Fuller’s DISCOVERY Departure

6 Likes

“We want the exact same thing, only brand new!”

3 Likes

From “Who Mourns for Adonais?”:

“Mankind has no need for gods. We find the one quite adequate.”

The second sentence sounds like someone at the network got skittish on the first sentence. (Really wish they would have snipped it for the remaster.)

6 Likes

That sounds like an interesting approach. I’m guessing that it would come with consequent costs that CBS wouldn’t be interested in taking on, like recasting actors, new sets, costumes etc.

But it might have been an interesting approach. There are a lot of big stars who are Star Trek fans (like Tom Hanks or Daniel Craig). Taking the True Detective approach might be a way to bring in some big names for a significant role.

4 Likes