millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 2 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers for s2e10)

You just need the right coping mechanism.

hC6E242FF

If only it had led to this…

Pike: “Mr Tyler, I thought I was going to get to shoot you today. I’m glad I didn’t.”

Tyler: “Can you be my friend now?”

Pike: “…No.”

I’d need to rewatch the menagerie, but I don’t think they ever explicitly said the ban on traveling to Talos IV was instituted as a result of the events of The Cage. So it could be this trip is the cause

I wonder if the upgraded Talosian make-up will still have those buttheads. (No wonder they couldn’t put Vina back together!)

http://i.imgur.com/bUeXz.jpg

I hope the special effects are better.

Just leaving these here for later reference:

(Not that anyone here is really caught up in the DISCO hate, but they’ll be handy to have)

Didn’t we agree that Fanboys are the worst?

Yes, before, but now we’ve decided that incels are the worst.

I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to prove, but I’d agree with all of that :stuck_out_tongue:

Why not both?

The eighth episode has begun…

S02E08

"If Memory Serves"

• S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

• W
    A
    R
    N
    I
    N
    G

Synopsis:

Spock and Burnham head to Talos IV, where the process of healing Spock forces the siblings to confront their troubled past. Stamets desperately tries to reconnect with an increasingly disconnected Hugh, while Tyler struggles to shed the crew’s suspicions of him due to his past as Voq.

good likeness

Vina%2C_2257%5B1%5D

Vina%5B1%5D

If I paid any more than the faintest bit of attention to the DISCO-whiners on YouTube, I’d love to see how they fit the “previously on” into their “DISCO is in a different timeline” bullshit.

For Burnham and Spock, this was a “let’s answer a bunch of questions which in turn ask more ones” type episode, and from that regard it’s fairly well done. We get context for the Red Angel’s mission, the scope of the threat facing the Federation, and a slight hint to the Red Angel’s identity - given Spock describes it as a human we can eliminate him from the list of suspects, I guess.

The revelation of what she said to drive him away is a bit of a letdown in terms of dramatic weight, but it works as the kind of thing kids would say to hurt each other, we know that Spock canonically had problems with being bullied for this half-human nature, and it’s more important for the context of who Spock became as a result of it.

the B-plot was pretty good as well. I like that Culber isn’t just back to normal, and his anxiety and sense of disassociation feels natural as a result of what he’s been through. I was totally expecting him and Tyler to kiss at the end of their fight.

Yep, I am enjoying the Culber bits… and Saru’s bit about the manual not covering a resurrected doctor vs a humanized klingon line.

Loved the previously on Star Trek.

About Airiam, I do wonder. If she is the one that has been sending transmissions to S31, either a) she did as a way to sabotage the Red Angel’s plans or b) It means that the future threat is connected to S31, maybe to the AI program that they use to run anaylisis, Control.

I didn’t expecto to see Vina, even considering we were returning to Talos. Her dialogue with Pike was a nice bit of build up between The Cage and The Meangerie

I’m pretty certain Control is going to be linked to the future probe things attacking the Galaxy.

Ok, let’s see … Spoiler bollocks, more spoiler bollocks, ah, end of thread…

The Way to the Stars

Size matters not.

Turns out if a story is good enough - and this one is great - the size, or page count, doesn’t matter. It shouldn’t be that much of a surprise though to anyone who knows McCormack’s Trek record and this is another excellent little book.

For all that the first two Discovery novels were good, this and Fear Itself were far better for me. The reason is simple - I find Tilly and Saru far more interesting characters than Burnham.

For this one, the focus is on Tilly’s history and there’s a neat link to the Short Trek for her as well, as it’s set the day before Tilly starts Starfleet’s command programme. The portrait there of Tilly’s mother is expanded here into a full on, relentless Tiger Mum who is so hellbent on ensuring her daughter is the best she can be that she is wholly blind to the emotional destruction being wrought. Nor does McCormack entirely resolve that one, which feels right - people like Siobhan Tilly don’t change, they don’t recognise their errors they just keep on steamrollering everyone and everything.

Ultimately, it is having other people, including her Dad, to back her up that helps Tilly find her way. To find that she isn’t cut out for the cut-throat diplomatic environment, that what she is after is something. Something more supportive and collaborative, which leads her to Starfleet.

At the same time as spinning that primary strand, McCormack also weaves in a more subtle aspect of showing up the significance of the Federation, of what it exists for, of how its starships work compared to others and the dangers of stepping outside of it.

There’s a couple of sections where it does drag or settles into a predictable pattern, but on the whole? It’s an excellent book.

The highlight of the episode, for me.

Interesting that Netflix didn’t have a “Skip Previously On” button for this episode. I wonder if the producers have to specifically ask Netflix for things like that.