millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 2 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers for s2e10)

That, or Vicious.

Co-starring John Simm.

The third episode has started…

S02E03

"Point of Light"

• S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

• W
    A
    R
    N
    I
    N
    G

I really enjoyed that one. Where last week was very much a classic Trek story shown through DISCO’s lens, this week was more of DISCO’s own wheelhouse - Klingons, spores, weird shit, breakneck storytelling pace, and it worked really well.

Mary Wiseman was a powerhouse this week, her depiction of Tilly’s nervousness, exasperation and worry was really well done, and her interaction with Burnham in their quarters was great. The use of language between them when Tilly described May’s behavior was interesting - Tilly explicitly calling May’s actions grooming was a bit of an eye-opener.

Outside of that, the Qu’onos story elements were interesting. A lot of it felt like throwing the grognards some meat - suggesting the Klingons were shaving their heads rather than being bald, showing the TOS-era D7 design, and other parts of it felt like writing the show back from some of last year’s conclusion so Tyler can be brought into the main cast. But beyond that, Tyler and L’Rell’s story was pretty cool. The overwrought elements of it felt like the kind of story Worf would sing an opera about, and the fight scene was basically a chanbara movie with bath’leths and prosthesis.

The slow burn is of course Spock, his relationship with Burnham and their links to the Red Angel. I get what they’re going for with drip-feeding the elements of their shared relationship, but it feels at odds with the pace of storytelling elsewhere in the show. when Pike learned that Spock has escaped from the hospital I was expecting the episode to be the ship tracking him down and getting him on-board by the end of the episode.

I liked lots of that. I loved that Tilly freaked out and then explained what was going on rather than dragging it out for ages. I liked the stuff with Amanda, there were some really nice emotional bits in there which are helping Michael become rounded as a character.
Oh, yea, the bad ass Empress beat down was great but I do not give one damn about what was going on with the Klingons. Hopefully, that’s the last we’ve seen of them for a while.

This episode felt, I think, a lot like what fans who know Star Trek better from the books than from the TV shows and/or movies might expect, and at this point, that’s a hugely valid distinction. And it was an important one for DISCO itself, but I wish…most of it had been done in separate episodes. Even when DS9 became heavily serialized, I always thought it would’ve been better to tighten the focus. It works better when there’s a strong a-plot coupled with an equally strong b-plot. Sometimes the b-plot in DS9 was more memorable than the a-plot. But they didn’t really compete with each other. They were telling different kinds of stories, one with high stakes, usually, and the other more personal. Throwing too many high stakes into single episodes tends to dilute the overall effect.

But at the same time, they rapidly answered what was happening with Tilly, and obviously the Klingon stuff eventually ended up as a backdoor pilot for the Georgiou series, and gave Tyler a new direction (and honestly, a better reason for me to care about the Georgiou series than Georgiou herself), so there was a lot accomplished, too. The part that worked least well for me was the continuing tease concerning Spock. The scenes with Amanda should’ve really been saved for another episode, a kind of answer to the excellent episode last season spotlighting Sarek. Instead she ends up lost in the jumble, which is unfortunate because we’ve never really had this kind of opportunity to listen to her perspective on everything. Maybe she gets another opportunity later.

I have to be honest, I didn’t much like that one apart from the Tilly scenes, which were good.

It felt like the stuff with Spock was going somewhere and then just… didn’t. Presumably to be explored further as this series goes on.

And the Klingon scenes all had a naff feel to them that took me out of it. All the stuff about their hierarchy felt like tedious guff to me. (As someone who has never been a particular fan of Star Trek, they felt like what non-Star-Trek-fans think Star Trek is like.)

Still, nice to see Clem Fandango looking more like Clem Fandango than ever. And more Michelle Yeoh is never a bad thing.

I enjoyed the episode, the resolution of what the ‘ghost’ is was interesting, I want to see where they go with that. The dialogue was nice and snappy, it was all ineteresting.

Georgiou’s plan to get VoqTyler out of the Klingon Empire was a bit crap though. Now the Klingons think the Federation are lying, dishonourable baby-murderers, rather than just a weird culture they don’t like, don’t respect and don’t want to be part of. I don’t think that’s improving anything?

But generally, the show continues to be good and I hope that continues.

So, apparently a couple of the Klingons in the council scenes had the insignia of the House of Mogh, which is pretty cool.

What is House of Mogh?

Worf’s family. Mogh was his ancestor.

Thanks. I assumed so but have never really paid attention to the minutia of Star Trek.

The fourth episode is about to start.

S02E04

"An Obol for Charon"

• S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

• W
    A
    R
    N
    I
    N
    G

Holy crap is it a good episode.

“Tengo ojos y oídos, Burnham” :grin:

don’t ever change Todd.

I was thinking of the obligatory Red Shirt exploding

Saru’s death being a fake-out was pretty expected, but the idea that his entire species has been lied to is an interesting storyline. Hopefully they follow up on it soon.

The Spock storyline is getting a bit “When are they going to get to the fireworks factory” now. Especially as he’s apparently not showing up until Ep. 7.

All that needs to be said about episode three…

I need to watch that again. It feels like a lot happened.

The latest one? Or the Klingon one before it?