millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 1 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers abound)

When you read the second novel, keep reading until the actual last page of the book.

Ditto - I’ve been able to bag the trio for around the £7.50 mark which is far more acceptable.

No sign yet of The Light of Kahless trade.

The last issue of the comic was released like a week or two ago.

Useful to know, the date that’s floating around on the listings is sometimes 8 May - so I knew something had happened to it.

Just checked, Amazon and Comixology have it to be released now on July 25.

Thanks

“We’ve made some producer changes at Star Trek: Discovery,” said producer CBS TV Studios in a statement to Deadline. “The series continues under the creative vision and leadership of executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Discovery remains on course for season two in 2019 with new and continuing stories that build on its successful premiere season.”

Sources said there were no creative problems on the show, but more of operational issues. It is possible for another showrunner to be recruited down the road.

Sources say the budget for the season two premiere ballooned, with the overages expected to come out of subsequent episodes from Discovery’s sophomore run. Insiders also stress that Berg and Harberts became increasingly abusive to the Discovery writing staff, with the latter said to have leaned across the writers’ room table while shouting an expletive at a member of the show’s staff. Multiple writers are said to have been uncomfortable working on the series and had threatened to file a complaint with human resources or quit the series altogether before informing Kurtzman of the issues surrounding Berg and Harberts. After hearing rumors of HR complaints, Harberts is said to have threatened the staff to keep concerns with the production an internal matter.

Sources tell THR that Discovery is nearing what has been characterized as a planned production hiatus after episode five, which will help allow Kurtzman time to regroup the show’s writing staff. Production is not expected to be impacted by the showrunner change.

Guys, what did I say about keeping the behind the scenes staff stable?

As much as I liked the first season, I do think there was room to improve. Hopefully this will help DISCO get there.

There are no specifics about any of the projects at the moment though there is talk that one of the first shows would be an eight-episode limited series. Kurtzman and Co. may reveal some details at the upcoming Comic-Com convention.

Tilly spin-off!

I’d like to see a Starfleet Academy series. Sort of a Buffy meets Trek deal, set twenty or thirty years after TNG, so it could occasionally guest star folks from TNG/DS9/VOY, and reference the destruction of Romulus.

The potential new shows are said to include:

• A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW’s reboot of “Dynasty” and previously created shows like “Gossip Girl” and Hulu and Marvel’s “Runaways.”
  • A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
  • A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”
  • An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

The new deal comes as rumblings about another Star Trek series, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his role as Star Trek: The Next Generation’s Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, have been heating up. Sources say Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman, who left Discovery after season one, are attached to the Stewart-led reboot. CBS TV Studios declined to confirm the Stewart project as sources say a deal is far from completed and may not happen despite the fact that the actor recently teased his potential return to the franchise.

Let the rumour mill go crazy

Three of those show concepts have been doing the rounds for literally decades!

Oh yeah, I got the pitch for that animated series somewhere.

Naturally, there’s a Memory Alpha article on it.

I wouldn’t mind a series with Khan at full mental powers leading a Rebellion against the Federation. He could dress in black and wear a helmet!

Was this the idea that got converted into Andromeda?

Final Frontier post-dates Andromeda by a long ways. If Andromeda was an idea for a Trek series that Roddenberry never used, it’s more a case of convergent thought, I think.