millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 1 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers abound)

Meanwhile…

Trailer:

The captain’s real name is Melllvar and is making the kidnapped crew play in his Star Trek fantasy?

My ship, who I love like a woman, is disabled

Yeah it’s pretty clear their in some kind forced LARPing experience or something.

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Soundtrack Coming December 15
A vinyl version is also coming in 2018. Check out artwork and track list.
https://trekmovie.com/2017/12/05/star-trek-discovery-soundtrack-coming-december-15/

The third novel tie-in to the CBS All Access series Star Trek: Discovery was just announced. Titled Star Trek: Discovery: Fear Itself, the book will be written by veteran Trek author James Swallow. It will be released on June 5th, 2018.

Lieutenant Saru is a Kelpien, a member of a prey species born on a world overrun by monstrous predators…and a being who very intimately understands the nature of fear. Challenged on all sides, he is determined to surpass his origins and succeed as a Starfleet officer aboard the U.S.S. Shenzhou. But when Saru breaks protocol in order to prove himself to his crewmates, what begins as a vital rescue mission to save a vessel in distress soon escalates out of control. Forced into a command role he may not be ready for, Saru is caught between his duty and the conflicting agendas of two antagonistic alien races. To survive, he will need to seek a path of peace against all odds, and risk compromising the very ideals he has sworn to uphold….

https://trekmovie.com/2017/12/08/third-star-trek-discovery-novel-to-focus-on-suru-titled-fear-itself/

1. Despite Yourself
    1. The Wolf Inside
    1. Vaulting Ambition
    1. What’s Past is Prologue
    1. The War Without, The War Within
    1. Will You Take My Hand?

From the March 2018 IDW solicitations:

Star Trek Discovery Annual 2018
Written by Kirsten Beyer & Mike Johnson, art by Angel Hernandez
48 pages • $7.99

The U.S.S. Discovery is a ship unlike any the galaxy’s ever seen, developing tech based on an unstable mycelial network… and it is all in the hands of Science Officer Lt. Stamets, tasked with perfecting it to win the war against the Klingons.

• Who is Stamets, and how did he, with his old partner, Straal, come to discover the mycelial network?
  • Plus: Learn how Lt. Stamets met his significant other, Medical Officer Hugh Culber, and came to know fan-favorite Cadet Sylvia Tilly!

Hmmmm.

Yeah, Tilly’s loved by everyone, not just the fans.

So, 9 eps is it for now, yeah?

As Netflix are offering me another free trial so I’m figuring to use it on this first set and Expanse S2.

It’s back January 7th for the last six episodes of the season.

Thanks, sounds like a good time to plunge into it then.

Can’t be worse than Star Wars, right?

NG[quote=“DrewEricsson, post:1447, topic:195”]
ST:TNG is a different beast from a different era, and IMHO stands up today as excellent, gentle SF TV
[/quote]

I’m currently watching TNG for about the 9 time round.

It definitely holds up for me.

There’s also very little else on tv that can scratch that itch for me

I finished Discovery this morning. I’ve gone from being really excited about it to on the fence. There’s stuff I like and stuff I don’t.

I will probably keep watching even if I start to dislike it, it’s that kinda situation for me.

Biggest problem is the characters are paper thin:

The characterisation of Burnham and Saru in the novel is far more rounded. I feel they both change from week to week in terms of their behaviours on the show, the writing is incredibly patchy.

Beyond those two, Stammets and The Doctor characterisation is that they are gay, basically, which id expect the online community to be offended by, but maybe they’ve been blindsided by just being happy there are gay characters on the show.

Tilly was covered off as being enthusiastic, and naive, then that seems to have been forgotten about.

Lorca is a bit of a rogue.

They’ve got people on the bridge who are basically acting as decoration.

Tyler got a. It more interesting in that last episode, until then he was an empty shell.

It’s bad writing.

The beauty of the 20odd episodes of the previous Trek series was they had the room to breathe and cover this off.

The Secret Origin of The Orville

Holy. Crap.

I also watched the first 3 eps of this today.

Doing a two-episode set-up and then starting the story with Discovery made for an interesting set-up.

I have to admit that, until just over the halfway point of ep 3, I was considering Starfleet to be better named as Carp-fleet due to how much everyone went on about Burnham causing the Battle of the Binary Stars, a pain-in-the-arse engineer and an irritating cadet. Then it improved quite a bit.

Isaacs is clearly enjoying himself with Lorca not being your usual Starfleet captain, there’s a real ‘oh no, he didn’t’ moment at the end of ep 3 that was very well executed.

I can see why some were irked by the ‘space orc’ Klingons, can’t say I care too much about it though either. I did like the revelation of how the Vulcans established diplomatic relations with the Klingons.

There’s clearly been a good amount of cash put into this as it all looks very good on-screen, with some smart EFX and well-designed space environments. I liked how it played up the peril aspect of space, possibly an influence from Expanse, but very welcome regardless of its source.

Looking forward to working my way through the rest of the nine.