millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - Series 1 and tie-in media discussion (spoilers abound)

At this point I can’t tell whether the out-of-left-field turns are deliberate plot with a point, or just slightly incoherent writing; nor whether all of the many nods to TOS are meant to be a cute homage, or are also leading to something specific. The Pahvan/Organian riff feels too on the nose to be simply a homage.

And what are the consequences for Saru for how he acts here?

And I’m glad you couldn’t tell whether Cornwall was dead or not as well. L’Rell’s either making everything up completely on the hoof, or has an awesome master plan.

Claiming posession by a glowing blue space thing is the most successful defence at any Starfleet court martial. I’m surprised Burnham didn’t try it at hers

But he doesn’t really do that does he? He claims ownership of his actions in the end.

I’m sure his defence counsel will stick with blue space thing posession.

All joking aside, I like that Saru owned his actions, and his actions were fuelled by his resentment of Burnham. The rebuilding of their friendship is one of my favourite things the show has done.

So, Jayne Brook, who plays Admiral Cornwell was on After Trek this week, and she was talking about her character in the present tense

Didn’t Klingon King Mob say at the end that the Admiral had escaped? I presumed that Klingon Lady had merely beaten her to within an inch of her life and then let her go, although the show itself did not make that particularly clear.

I took that to mean L’Rell was claiming Cornwell told her that Discovery had a powerful technology aboard before she “tried to escape”, rather than she escaped after L’Rell deposited her in the corpseroom.

Do all Klingon abodes have a corpseroom? Do they get fashionably re-decorated on the Klingon version of Grand Designs?

A random theory regarding the Admiral…

She was captured by the Klingons in the episode named Lethe.

Lethe in classic Greek refers to something along the lines of forgetfulness/oblivion.

In the original series episode Dagger of the Mind there is a character named Lethe. She was sent to a rehab colony as a therapist about ten years after when Discovery is set. Kirk asks her what she did before and she says “Does it matter? That person no longer exists.” She also describes her old self as being “a different person – malignant, hateful.”

Cromwell is meant to be some sort of therapist.

The two actresses even sort of look like one another

Lethe - Susanne Watson

Cromwell - Jayne Brook

So… did the Admiral actually survive, get incredibly angry and depressed about the capture, the war, the Klingons, Lorca, the whole sorry mess, leave Starfleet behind and go off to forget about her past and revert to being a therapist in the middle of nowhere?

I’ve seen other people link Cornwell to TOS Lethe along similar lines, yeah.

Plenty of material for the Tyler Is A Something theory in this episode too…

Another solid Trek-fare episode through which we learn more about certain characters, and get a few neat twists and turns and set-ups. The writers are still struggling with the worst early doors exposition in stardate history (Sonequa looked so uncomfortable that she spoofed her lines); it’s unfortunate they cut a crucial conversation between L’Rell and Cornwall, leaving the “not what I expected” exchange as a bit not what I expected; and how to you miss an opportunity for one of the easiest cliffhangers ever?

It was a very choppy episode. I’m still not loving the Klingon sections.

But the overall plot still works, Saru is good value and it was just not quite what it could’ve been, rather than bad.

I have no idea if the Admiral is dead either, but also no idea if we’re meant to have no idea, or if we’re meant to know and they just fumbled it?

I finally got around to watching the first three episodes. They’re a very mixed bag to say the least. Ironically, I really liked this new take on the Klingons. They’re costumes are dumb but the idea of them as racially pure religious fanatics is an interesting one. I like the new make up designs too, it makes them look far more alien.

The federation is more problematic. I had a real issue with the captain gleefully committing a war crime. For a character raised by Vulcans Michael is terrible at controlling her emotions. I don’t get her being blamed for starting the war unless everyone is referring to her accidentally killing the torchbearer. Otherwise she was proven completely correct, the Klingons attacked unprovoked at every opportunity. I don’t buy Saru as an officer. His blatant cowardice would have kept him from ever reaching a position of command. The show continues the stupid tradition of the captain putting themselves in dangerous situations, only to drive home how stupid it is (for which Michael is also erroneously blamed for). I also really don’t like Rapp’s performance in the third episode. I’m fine with a grouchy character but something about how he plays it doesn’t work for me.

I do like Isaac’s captain though and the idea of a crew of talented misfits that no one else wants is a good one. Keeping them on the outskirts of the war is a good move too. It adds tension without making it another show about combat. The effects look good and as long as you treat the show as just another reboot all the new designs are fine.

As I said, it’s a mixed bag but its got enough of interest that I’ll keep watching.

I think you’ll like how the show progresses, based on some of your criticisms here.

Are we talking about Rapp? We’re talking about Rapp, aren’t we? :grinning:

Amongst other things!

It’s back January 7th, and ends Feb 11th.

So I’ve to the realization that I really just don’t like Anthony Rapp. There’s something about his performance that doesn’t work for me.

Opposite for me. Didn’t like him in the beginning, now he’s someone I enjoy watching.
I also fully expect he’s integral to the midseason finale.

And what’s going on with him? A re-watch from the start should have us singing his praises (if I am correct in his personality shifts).