millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - discussing S01E15, "Will You Take My Hand?"

Data.

I think it’s Brent Spinners birthday today iirc.

Edit: I don’t know why I know that.

Memory Alpha says you’re right.

I realised in the car just now why I remember it, it’s the same date as Groundhog Day. Talking about oul Punxsutawney Phil on the news there. Another six weeks of winter. Devastated.

For anyone after this, this is the best price I can find:

Star Trek: Discovery: Drastic Measures - BooksEtc - £7.21

Spotted a copy of the first DISCO novel in my local second-hand bookshop for 6 quid. Considering nabbing it even though I usually go for ebooks for Trek.

Second hand already? :face_with_monocle:

There seems to be a couple of people in Dublin who buy every new SF book and trade them in on a regular basis. I’m constantly finding recent big name titles in there for cheap

The episode has just started…

S01E14

“The War Without, The War Within”

Burnham and the crew are faced with the harsh reality of the war during their absence;
Starfleet must use unconventional tactics and sources to take their next action against the Klingons.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I’d say this episode, for me, was a rebound. It explained the logic of the last one, and the series pretty well.

Well shit, that episode had all the emotions, didn’t it?

Poor Ash. :cry:

I really enjoyed that episode though. This should all wrap up quite well. Must I really wait another week?

I sympathize with Tyler and at the same time understand where Burnham is coming from. The problem is that she’s applying things to him that she’s withholding from Georgiou. And it’s Georgiou who is by far more dangerous.

Georgiou is openly dangerous, Ash could still become Voq again though.

Burnham is definitely being inconsistent, but she’s not wrong to keep him at arms length.

Good episode, good ending/cliffhanger for the series finale.

I’m enjoying this show as cool SF TV. I feel it’s a success because I care about the crew, just like I did with original. I’m not really worried about how it syncs with the history. I’m just along for the ride,and it’s a good one so far.

Not bad, but not as great as the posts so far suggested.

The big problem I have with this ep, unless the next ep demonstrates that there’s more to the Discovery plan than what was shown here, is it seems everyone has switched their brain off when it comes to Mirror Georgiou. The end cliffhanger in particular is an awfully bad idea. Granted, it’s a Starfleet Admiral doing it and that lot have the most dubious track record in Trek! But even a dodgy Starfleet Admiral should know better.

Michael wonders how she conquered the Klingons. Come on Michael, it’s not some grand arcane mystery - you know how she did. By sheer brutality and mass murder - not a path open to the Federation.

Talking of which, I found the terraforming of the moon with mycelium to be a neat contrast to the Terran Empire that we’d seen in the Mirrorverse, whose primary fuel and options are death and destruction.

(Note: someone get the damn spoiler tags or execute them as traitorous dogs!)

Tilly continues to be one of the surprise high points of the show and really gets to shine in this ep.

Going to be interesting to see how this first series concludes.

p.s. Some quite tidy continuity moves in this ep too.

Arguably the best way to enjoy it.

EDIT: Thanks Lorcan, spoiler tag execution is now on hold.

I am confused about Starbase 1. Isn’t that thing literally in Earth’s orbit? And now it has been obliterated by the Klingons? Why did the Klingons just stop there? Why not just use all the firepower that would be needed to wreck a space station above the Earth to, you know, destroy the Earth itself?

Starbase 1 is in orbit around Earth in the Kelvin timeline, but not Prime. The big space station seen orbiting Earth in the TOS movies is Spacedock

Well… magic space mushrooms are magic… =/

I saw the thing with Georgiou coming a mile away… I guess we all did… so I’m glad they didn’t drag their feet with that one.

I skipped the Michael/Tyler conversation because zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

Just so you know, the second novel is officially out today, and it includes the equivalent of a post-credits scene… will post the details later.