millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Star Trek: Discovery - discussing S01E15, "Will You Take My Hand?"

This is what the original Enterprise would look like in the new Star Trek movies

At a recent press event, the Smithsonian showed off the original 11-foot model of the Starship Enterprise. Acosta was at the event, and shot photos of the ship at different angles in order to re-composite the images in modern Star Trek film stills. Of course, pasting the images atop frames from Wrath of Khan or Star Trek Into Darkness wasn’t enough. He had to get the lighting and texture just right to make the ship fit. As Acosta told Wired, each image took an average of eight hours to complete. It was clearly worth it.

I watched the Star Trek reboot at the weekend and I think I liked it more than when I origianlly saw it. The first time, I let myself get annoyed at some of the stupid things they had done. This time I was expecting the stupid things so I just ignored them. Instead, I spent the time realising how great the dialogue was, perfectly either highlighting or hinting at the character relationships that made Star Trek great.

Now I’m wondering if I can watch the second one again without being annoyed at some of the stupid things they had done.

Yeah, I feel much the same, where into darkness squandered a lot of the good will star trek generated. Hopefully a chae in the writing staff for the third movie will get things back on track.

Has anyone else read any of the latter-day trek novels? A lot of the DS9 and TNG ones are quite good, especially once they were freed to do their own thing.

I’m a fan. Started with the DSN relaunch way back when. I tend to pick ‘n’ mix stuff as it appeals.

Have to agree on the continuity they’ve quietly built for themselves too. The Destiny arc and the way they followed through on that was particularly well done.

Other highlights for me have been the Vanguard, IKS Gorkon and Lost Era series.

EDIT: Holy hell, they’re finally going to fix that gaping hole in DSN:

Star Trek: Ascendance

On the original Deep Space Nine, Captain Kira Nerys watches as the nearby wormhole opens and discharges a single, bladelike vessel. Attempts to contact its crew fail, and the ship is soon followed by another vessel of similar design. When an armada subsequently begins to emerge from the wormhole, it seems clear that DS9 is under attack. Kira orders her first officer, Commander Elias Vaughn, to board the USS Defiant and defend the station, and alerts Starfleet to send additional forces as her crew prepares DS9's shields and weaponry for the onslaught to come. 
Meanwhile, on the lead ship, Iliana Ghemor considers launching an attack on DS9 and finally ending the life of Kira, the fountainhead of all the ills in her miserable life. Her vengeance demands more than mere death, though – it requires pain. Ghemor refocuses, choosing to follow her plan to mete out her revenge on the captain by first decimating the population of Bajor...

I just came across this story on Empireonline about Simon Pegg writing (or Co-writing) the script for the new Star Trek movie.

While he is very diplomatic about it, he does voice some reservations about what was done in Into Darkness.

Simon Pegg discusses Star Trek 3

“I had certain issues with Into Darkness,” he continues, candidly. “I really, really am very proud of Into Darkness, but I feel like it kind of wanted to embrace itself a little too much, rather than take off and do what Star Trek did, which is to go off into the depths of the galaxy. It was about referencing not only a previous film but also kind of hanging onto the coast of Earth a little bit. So for me it’s now about the spirit of adventure and exploration and also, in modern terms, just how would that be for people, to be away for that amount of time and that kind of stuff. We’re trying to evolve the story at the same time as not letting it go.”

Oh thank Christ for that!

As long as it’s better than ‘Paul’.

Star Trek Beyond is being reported as the name of the next movie.

I quite like it.

I like it. I will be quite circumspect until I see it, but I would love to see a great 5 Year mission type Star Trek movie.

Chris - Christopher - Christian - the Universe is full of Chris!

Chris Pine
Chris Evans
Chris Pratt
Chris Hemsworth
Christian Bale
Christina Hendricks
Christopher Lee
Christopher Walken
Chris O’Donnell
Christian Slater
Christopher Meloni

and deserving of a separate spot

Christopher Reeve.

This is a cursory sample. There are many, many more.

I declare the Chrispiracy!

Something’s happening here! What it is, ain’t exactly clear!

:cat: :cat2: :smile_cat: :pouting_cat: :smirk_cat: :city_sunset:

Voyager imho could have been more than it was as a series. Light years from home, with a mixed crew, it could have been epic, but for a while there it was getting to be like Gilligan’s Island where they were Oh… so… close… to finding either a wormhole or whatever to get back home. Then they bought in 7 of 9 for sex appeal and that brought in some guys and even a lesbian following. The writers played it safe.

Given that a large part of Ron Moore’s impetus for how he went about writing Battlestar Galactica was his bad experience on Voyager, if they had been a bit more daring we might not have gotten BSG. I’ll not take that risk.

You mean that’s why he decided not to wait till the show was half way through to bring in the sex appeal?

You’re right, they brought in Dean Stockwell all the way back in season two.

Let me see if I have all of this right.

Thor is Jim Kirk’s father.

McCoy is really Judge Dredd.

Spock used to appear on Heroes.

Admiral Markus used to be a cyborg.

Khan Noonian Singh is apparently Smaug, Sauron and Sherlock.

Montgomery Scott is apparently manipulating the structure of the universe.

Hikaru Sulu now smokes an outrageous amount of pot.

Uhura takes very action-filled vacations and likes green body paint.

Chekov has a vampire living next door and severe time-travel problems.

Most of all, Nero has epic anger management issues.

Is that about right? :rocket:

He really got his life together after he and Liz survived that zombie apocalypse

Interview with Alexander Siddig: http://www.avclub.com/article/alexander-siddig-being-bashir-quitting-24-and-gett-222045?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

On the Bashir enhancements storyline:

[quote]AVC: How did you feel about the whole “enhancements” story aspect?

AS: Oh, well, I felt a little fucked over with that. [Laughs.] I thought that was a bit cynical. I got the sense that, by the end of the run, there were other Star Trek shows that were coming out which were more popular, pulling ahead of us. Deep Space Nine, you have to understand, in its time was not performing as well as the studio wanted it to or needed it to. And that was down to the fact that it was built on what was, at the time, a very wobbly foundation of long character arcs. These weren’t shows that were over in one episode and moved on to the next planet, dealt with that, and moved on again. These things went on forever, and people had to tune in again and again and again to find out what happened to these characters. That was unheard of at the time. And I think that now, because it’s more fashionable, Deep Space Nine has become a lot more popular and a lot more interesting to a lot more people.

So when that thing came along about enhancing me, I felt they were really trying—cynically—to make me more like Data, so that I would be more popular still, and I felt betrayed. It wasn’t part of our plan! So I just ignored it. And whenever the lines came up, I just screwed them up. It wasn’t that I didn’t deliver them, but the lines that referred to that, I just messed up. The actor has that power. At the end of the day, they have a veto, and that veto is expressed in just making the line rubbish, just losing it. So I’d say the line, because that’s my job and I’m paid to do that, but I said it in a way that hopefully it drifted off and no one really noticed it.[/quote]

I had no problem with the enhancement idea. I thought they got some good stories, and some interesting throwaway moments, out of it.

Thanks for posting that. I was watching the old episode of Spooks two nights ago that he refers to and he’s great in it.