millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Stand-up comedy

I saw Dara O Briain again on Friday night, and somehow didn’t realise when I booked it seven months ago that my ticket was for front-row center. :grimacing:

Thankfully, he didn’t call on me, though he did to people on either side of me. There didn’t seem to be quite as much crowd work this time, probably as we were in a 4,000-seat tent, and he could barely hear the people responding to him.

It was interesting to see what stuff he changed from Dublin. Some of it was Dublin-specific, some bits he had changed the phrasing of a bit. He also did a decent amount calling back to his previous shows down here (last time he played the tent, there was torrential flooding, with water running down the aisles, and when he played the city a few months ago a couple were thrown out by the police).

4 Likes

Saw Dave Gorman last night. His show was essentially a 90 min version of his TV show with a tiny bit more swearing. It was pretty good. Wasn’t rolling in the ailse laughing but he was still pretty funny.

4 Likes

Christel and I are going to see Gabriel Iglesias Thursday night.

2 Likes

He’s probably the most likeable comedian in history.

1 Like
1 Like

Bill Bailey still rocks.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen him since he last did Part Troll here years ago. It was after the DVD had come out. Laura, Mark, Aoife and I went as a group but Aoife didn’t know some of us had already seen the show, so she was unnerved when I knew the lyrics to Augenblick and sang along.

… and saw Daniel Sloss tonight, who was brilliant (in the downstairs bar of the Soho Theatre, which is a perfectly sized space for his sort of routine)

1 Like

In addition to this crack-down on phone usage, the club, and Louis C.K. by extension are forbidding audience members from sharing content from his set in any way. “Louis C.K owns all rights in the content and materials, including any jokes and sketches (the “Materials”), delivered during his performance,” the website reads. “The Materials may not be copied, translated, transmitted, displayed, distributed, or reproduced verbatim (the “Use”), in whole or in part, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, without the express prior written consent of Louis CK.”

The website also notes that any use of the material without Louis C.K.’s consent will be “subject to all available legal remedies.”

This news drew a swift backlash from online parties with many pointing out the irony of the comedian’s use of the word “consent” given his own sexual misconduct. Top Chef’s Padma Lashki, wrote, “Oh! So now Louis C.K. cares about consent.”

I have been to shows (Dave Chappelle and Ali Wong) where devices were secured in pouches so they could not be used. Gabriel Iglesias asked that no one record or take pictures during the show (you would be asked to leave if caught) but gave people an opportunity after the show was over to take pictures and video of him on stage. I have no issue with not wanting a performance recorded as it helps keep the audience focused on the show.

But this sounds like CK doesn’t want people repeating his jokes which, like the Parkland joke mentioned in the article, may cause even more backlash if made public. It seems like every step in CK’s comeback is actually three steps backwards.

2 Likes

Stuart Lee build it into his act and takes phones off people. He acts like an asshole about it in a way that makes you understand if you use your phone you’re an asshole. CK is just acting like a straight up asshole. It should be put in the hands of the venue, ejection if you bring your phone out at all.

2 Likes

The leaked stuff by Louis CK is easily found on youtube and it’s really great. I’m happy he’s back, he was in Amsterdam two weeks back but the tickets were sold out pretty fast.