Comics Creators

Stand-up comedy

Standup comedian that I’ve been liking most recently is Louis CK. I need to post a clip later when I’m not on my mobile.

After I saw his standup special on Showtime Give 'Em Hell, Kid, I absolutely love Jermaine Fowler:

Toss up between Kevin Bridges and Frankie Boyle

Here’s just a KB vid. since FB often tests the boundary to breaking point.

I was lucky enough to see Kevin Bridges at a fairly small comedy club just a couple of years ago - an unbilled surprise set where he was testing out some new material. It’s always pretty cool seeing these big names in small clubs (it’s happened quite a few times for me, with establish acts trying out their new stuff - I guess because my local comedy club is fairly well-known and usually attracts a good crowd), and interesting to see routines in their embryonic, unpolished state.

I seem to remember Bridges going down really well anyway.

Saw Stewart Lee last night. As funny, intelligent, inventive and unpredictable as ever. I loved it.

It would be fun to compare notes with @Kevin and see how much of last night’s show was unique to the night and how much was part of the plan. One of the great things with Lee is that you never really know for sure.

I have tickets to see Bill Burr, in May. I’m pretty excited. I can add him to the list of comedians I’ve seen:

Jim Jefferies
Doug Stanhope
Daniel Tosh
Lewis Black
Jerry Seinfeld

Our city is often overlooked for music and comedy tours. We’ve seen an increase in the last few years which is a trend I hope continues.

I listened to Stuart Goldsmith’s interview with Lee on his Comedians Comedian podcast. It’s a well worth listen and has put me in the mood to see him live again or at least rewatch Comedy Vehicle (which I still need to watch the last series of now I think about it).

Thanks, I will have to give that a listen.

Clear an evening - it’s a couple hours long! I broke it up over a couple of commutes.

That’s a great podcast. Love listening to Stewart Lee talk about himself as a character.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. Your right about never knowing what’s planned and what’s not . Guess that’s why he’s such a master of his craft.

It’s something I must have realised in the back of my brain but didn’t really make a point of noticing/vocalising to myself in the past. Same with Johnny Vegas.

I only really picked up on it after reading his books to be honest. Yeah quite a lot of people don’t realise Vegas is a character either. I think that clicked with me when someone was telling me he was at a 2000ad thing somewhere and was getting gear signed as Michael.

And by incorporating it into his act, I guess you’ve got another level to Lee’s persona - the version of Stewart Lee who often gets exasperated by the audience’s reaction to the fake version of Stewart Lee that he’s created. Who is of course equally fake. :slight_smile:

I’ve listened to quite a few discussions with comedians, like all the Richard Herring podcasts and Adam Buxton and Sean Hughes’. They almost all say they are playing a character to a degree, it’s not just them telling jokes but a persona they’ve created.

Johnny Vegas is probably one of the more extreme, where Michael Pennington refers to them as separate people and says at times Johnny has taken too much control and he was becoming him.

Although they are very different they both tend to play on a lot of self-pity, how their careers are failing and they aren’t getting laughs etc.

It has made it easier for Stewart Lee to do that kind of material since his TV series got cancelled. :slight_smile:

Yes I have heard him discuss how he had to tweak after he had the series renewed and was winning a lot of awards, the ‘poor me’ act wouldn’t chime as well. He turns it slightly by saying he only appeals to a niche of Guardian reading hipsters.

The “liberal metropolitan elite”. :slight_smile:

I only learned it when one of those “before they were famous shows” had a clip of him competing on Win, Lose or Draw (of all things) under his real name before he was famous and saying that he wanted to use “Johnny Vegas” as a stage name (or that he was starting to perform under it).

It’s funny really because Johnny Vegas is such an obvious fake stage name, he hoodwinks you otherwise because the character is so vulnerable and sincere.

Doug Stanhope does a similar shtick, he’s a cynical drunk who doesn’t care what anyone thinks, if you hear him off stage it’s not entirely not him, none of them are, but it’s maybe half of it at best.