millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Songs that make you tear up

Yeah, me too. It works so perfectly in the movie that every time I hear it I’m drawn right back in.

1 Like

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting

The music was already mournful, then I found out it’s about a boy watching his father (psychologist Wilhelm Reich) getting arrested and being unable to help him.

2 Likes

Have you seen the video with Donald Sutherland playing the Reich character and Kate Bush as the son?

It was on the music TV channel a lot when I was young so the story the song was telling was always in my head. Kate Bush is a little unusual for a pop singer because she doesn’t really draw from her own life that much but about things she’s read. ‘Wuthering Heights’ being the most obvious example.

2 Likes

That’s a nice video. More triumphant by the end than what my image of the song is, although it fits the march-like build of music even though the sad twinge to it all is what’s always stood out to me.

Hounds of Love is the only Kate Bush I’ve heard so far but I really want to check out more of her stuff. Where should I look next?

1 Like

Look for ‘The Dreaming’ which I think is her next best album.

2 Likes

I think Kate Bush’s debute album is the best.

1 Like

Thanks, guys! Those two are where I’ll go next.

I was reminded of this the other day @WillCarper. The BBC did a doc on Kate Bush that covers a lot of her music that’s up on Youtube. She doesn’t contribute as she doesn’t do much media. However the ‘talking heads’ they have are not the usual B-list but folks like Elton John, John Lydon, Neil Gaiman, Peter Gabriel, Tricky, St. Vincent, Dave Gilmour.

It’s incredible she wrote a song like "The Man With the Child in His Eyes’ when she was 15 years old.

3 Likes

I know most of those musicians, but who is this Gaiman guy? Is he in a band or something?

2 Likes

Didn’t he write something for The Chordettes?

1 Like

13, I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

His wife is. I think he blags his way in to these things based on that :wink:

4 Likes

If you watch it the bits Gaiman’s talking about are the use of books and stories in the lyrics. I think he knows a little about that. :wink:

3 Likes

This one gets me every time.

2 Likes

Thanks, Gar! I will have to carve out some time to watch this…

2 Likes

I love how Bob Crawford just…sits there.

1 Like

I’m feeling this song some kind of fierce this week. :frowning:

5 Likes

I really love Moulin Rouge. My wife and I used Come What May for our first dance at our wedding reception. It feels more apt the longer we’re together.

4 Likes

“The Tango Roxanne” is in my gym playlist rotation.

Doesn’t make me tear up, but the Moulin Rouge talk reminded me of it. Awesome song, great sequence.

4 Likes