millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Songs that make you tear up

A song about a man who’s life seems devalued because the industry his community was based on has died. His wife in the song urges him to keep going.

It has personal resonance for me because my best friend’s father when I was a kid fell into a ditch and badly broke his leg while running just after being laid off at the steel works he’d spent his life working at. He decided he’d just give up and die there. He was brought back from the brink with thoughts of the support of his wife and family. He celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary last week.

“On one stave, for a small instrument, the man writes a whole world of the deepest thoughts and most powerful feelings.”

“You can tell from his music that his emotion is raw. It is so controlled, but it is so profound. This is a man who truly grieves. I mean, you’ll hear the chaconne. It’s a dance. But it’s a grieving dance.
I know, it seems like a paradox. But it’s extremely moving and — of somebody who clearly has enormous feeling. And, yet, it’s very controlled.”

The Commander Thinks Aloud by the Long Winters:

I’ve talked about this song, which is about the Columbia Shuttle disaster, before.

It’s beautiful and heartbreaking.

Any song from a Disney movie where the protagonist wonders if there’s something better waiting for them… Can’t help it. I’m a crier and a hopeless optimist.

Every time.
Without fail.
I didn’t even play the track when I found it; just copy/pasted the link.

And for those who want a more urban version, here’s 2Pac:

A few from my “Melancholy Baby” playlist:

Greenday: Good Riddance.

It took me a long time to think of a post of songs that reliably make me tear up.

The first is “Leaving Earth” from the “Mass Effect 3” soundtrack. It punches me in the gut every time I play. When I listen to the song I always tear up.

The next is “God’s Trying to Tell You Something” co written by Quincy Jones and Andre Crouch for “The Color Purple Soundtrack.” This song encapsulates the burning agnst I felt as a wee gay black boy growing up in the Mississippi Delta. I can’t not feel when I listen to this song.

If this doesn’t make you feel something you’re DEAD inside.

Human endeavour kills me every time.

I can barely post this never mind listen to it. It destroys me.

I don’t get it. It’s quite a jolly tune.

Have you seen the movie David? The scene it’s from is what makes it a tear jerker.

Oh, ok.

It’s the music for the life long love affair between the protagonist Carl and his wife Ellie. It’s the beginning of the movie and sets up Carl for when the real action begins. When I saw “Up” in the theater, that sequence destroyed every adult in the room.

I can’t find unadulterated footage, but here is a music video someone made that compresses the visual parts of the highlights.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the most appropriate word for what the scene does to you!!!

I’m not sure if I could ever watch it again. I felt devastated after it and I’m not a very emotional person at all. It’s an unbelievable piece of story telling visually and musically.

Johnny Cash’s cover of “Hurt”.

I’m not providing a link to it because if you haven’t heard it already, then frankly, you don’t deserve to.

The first time I saw the video, I was getting ready for work. I was depressed for the rest of the day.