millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Solo - A Star Wars Spoiler Thread

“I’ve got a really good feeling about this.”

The moment Han says this in the trailer, I knew this movie was definitely going to appeal to me. It’s the complete opposite, of course, of the line said in every other Star Wars movie. I don’t know how many other fans picked up on that, cared about that, took it to mean cockiness about the film’s chances for success…Clearly this was the second Star Wars in a row that knowingly subverted expectations. Last Jedi proved incredibly divisive, and subverted a lot more expectations, but for me there’s very little more fundamental to Star Wars than its most repeated phrase. It’s the language of Star Wars.

So for Solo to deliberately go after it, that set the tone right there. It demonstrates immediately that although this is a familiar character he’s playing by a different set of rules than we know. I know it’s popular to say that either Han Solo isn’t as popular as some of us used to think, or his death in Force Awakens killed interest in him, but he’s the embodiment of Star Wars for me. Unlike every other hero, even reluctant Jyn Erso, we see his introduction into the Rebellion as a progression, even as a struggle. That’s another reason why I like Finn, because he doesn’t just dive right in, either. I appreciate these people who aren’t automatically fanatics.

To see how Han develops, even with the character traits we know he buried behind gruff in his later appearances, is to appreciate the character even more. It’s all the more shocking to see such an optimistic version of the character, and that line at the top of this post is the perfect expression of it. I don’t think it’s that he becomes cynical, necessarily, but that he begins to hold his cards much closer to his chest. He’s a fascinating character.

Yes, it was like:

“Do you know what happens when a toad is struck by lightning?”
“Strewth cor blimey me old mukka, no I ain’t never for abaa it…ARRRGHHH!!!”

This turned up yesterday, ahead of the official release on Monday.

Guess that’s my Saturday night viewing sorted!

But THE SHAPE OF WATER is debuting on HBO tonight!!

I already watched that last week. :slight_smile:

Well, that’s okay then…

Still not feeling the pull for this one, think I’ll apply Transformers rules and just wait until the Blu-Ray’s dead cheap.

Feels odd, this is everything I should want in a SW film but that, ahem, force just isn’t there.

I just watched it and really enjoyed it, much more than I expected.

After a slightly rocky start - it has to get a lot of heavy-lifting setup out of the way early on - the fun factor really kicks in from about halfway through, and from Kessel onwards I watched it with a smile on my face.

Maybe going in with low expectations helped, but I thought they got a lot right here. The story was fun and fairly straightforward while also ticking off a lot of key backstory elements for Han Solo; the effects were great (I loved the big Lovecraftian horror in space); the many nods to Star Wars history were fun and unobtrusive; and the cast were all pretty good.

Alden Ehrenreich did really well in inhabiting the role (I stopped mentally comparing him to Ford about ten minutes in, aside from when he deliberately evoked an earlier line or moment) and I thought Donald Glover was loads of fun. Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s droid felt like something a bit different too.

It was also nice to realise that I’d avoided a few spoilers about the film, so some of the later twists in the character relationships were nice surprises, as were the links to the formation of the Rebel Alliance.

I’d watch a sequel. There won’t be one, but I’d watch one. :slight_smile:

Also, the regular reliance on snippets of the original John Williams score to lift certain scenes really helped the film. It made me realise yet again what a huge role his music played in making the original films great.

I was reminded much more of Deadeye Duck from Bucky O’Hare.

DeadEyepress_large

They’re all playing with similar archetypes either way.

Now I’ve got the Bucky O’Hare theme song playing in my head.

Forever.

Oh yeah I completely forgot, but I also watched this recently, and it was okay… I actually enjoyed it for what it was… Like Dave, at the begining I was worried, specially because of the excessively darkly-lit scenes, but either that stopped or I got used to it…

Anyways, as a non-SW I probably missed a lot of references and stuff, but I was okay with the story. Honestly, I think it’s the best one out of all the new movies… or at least on par with TFA, which is a very well made movie, but just a re-hash.

I just had one like, doubt I guess, about Maul… I was gonna come and ask here, but then I found out the answer somewhere else (He didn’t die in Phantom Menace), but I didn’t know that so it threw me for a loop when I saw it in the movie. Other than that, it was okay.

Well, he did die in Phantom Menace, he just un-died later. :slight_smile:

Us fans call it “SA”

Strange as it’ll sound, the execution of that story in Clone Wars totally defied expectations based on concept alone. It was… very artistically done.

Well yeah, but if you didn’t watch Clone Wars, like me, but watched the prequels… it was a bit confusing… I was like “wait, when is this movie taking place??? How old is Han Solo, I thought he was a regular human”, etc… took me out of the movie, tbh… and for what they did with the cameo, they might as well not have included it at all… =/