millarworld.tv Comics Creators

So we're watching Clash of the Titans...

…1981 edition, not the remake of course. And I’m struck by three things.

1/ I really liked this. I had the poster on my wall as a kid, but if I’m now absolutely honest it’s not as good as Jason and the Argonauts. It’s still great, but it’s not Jason-level great, which I argued it was with my older brothers when I was 11.

2/ It’s much more gory than I remembered. There’s almost 20 years between this and Jason and since we watch Jason a lot in here I was quite surprised just how much blood there is in this compared to the older movie. It never struck me at the time. My two year old whispered ‘I scared’ while we were watching this earlier, which my 4 year old replied with ‘Shh. It’s okay. He has to cut medusa’s head off to kill The Kraken’.

3/ This movie is further proof Hollywood didn’t understand Star Wars. Lemme explain…

When Lucas showed SW to the execs they all thought it was going to bomb. When it opened so huge one of the execs resigned because he realised he was living in a world he no longer understood. He was right. Hollywood tried to replicate what they THOUGHT made Star Wars popular for a decade and gave us Krull, Labyrinth, etc, and Clash of the Titans from Bubo’s R2D2-like whirrs and clicks to bearded Zeus talking to Perseus for inspiration had many nods. It feels like one of those things that got greenlit as they tried to figure out what the Hell kids wanted.

I was delighted as I love this movie, but it’s further evidence that nobody really quite GOT Star Wars, just like execs assumed what people liked about 1989’s Batman was art deco and pulps, paving the way of Dick Tracy, The Shadow, The Rocketeer and the Phantom instead of, er, Captain America and Spider-Man.

I’m glad it got made though as it’s still a four star movie for me. The kids were a little more frightened than they were at Jason, but both enjoyed it before we watched Peppa Pig as a palette cleanser.

MM

I remember the original CLASH OF THE TITANS fondly, except for that mechanical owl.

And you can never go wrong with Peppa Pig!

This film used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. I remember hiding my eyes every time there was a stop motion effect. Something about those stilted, outdated effects just made it eerie and surreal for my young (rather sheltered) eyes.

Me too. It’s kind of nightmarish. The Medusa is one of the first movie scares I can remember really vividly. It’s a great creation.

Is anything really as good as Jason and the Argonauts? This Harryhausen-fest made a deep impact on me as kid. I remember (vaguely) I saw it first-run at a drive-in. Then in a theater. Dragon teeth!

In short… No.

The Harryhousen effects are something else. Yeah, you can tell they’re obviously not real life but there’s something special about the fact they’re physical, real life objects moving. That moment Talos first moves his head in Jason and the Argonaut s gives me chills every time.

I was fine with the skeletons later on, but the first appearance of Talos scared the crap out of me as a kid! :laughing:

Very true. Jason, actually, is one of the more interesting Greek heroes in general. Especially when you get to the end of his life when he turns out to be a real a-hole.

Treachery of Jason

In Corinth, Jason became engaged to marry Creusa (sometimes referred to as Glauce), a daughter of the King of Corinth, to strengthen his political ties. When Medea confronted Jason about the engagement and cited all the help she had given him, he retorted that it was not she that he should thank, but Aphrodite who made Medea fall in love with him.

Infuriated with Jason for breaking his vow that he would be hers forever, Medea took her revenge by presenting to Creusa a cursed dress, as a wedding gift, that stuck to her body and burned her to death as soon as she put it on. Creusa’s father, Creon, burned to death with his daughter as he tried to save her. Then Medea killed the two boys that she bore to Jason, fearing that they would be murdered or enslaved as a result of their mother’s actions. When Jason came to know of this, Medea was already gone; she fled to Athens in a chariot of dragons sent by her grandfather, the sun-god Helios.

Later Jason and Peleus, father of the hero Achilles, attacked and defeated Acastus, reclaiming the throne of Iolcus for himself once more. Jason’s son, Thessalus, then became king.

As a result of breaking his vow to love Medea forever, Jason lost his favor with Hera and died lonely and unhappy. He was asleep under the stern of the rotting Argo when it fell on him, killing him instantly.

I love this post because it raises a couple of questions:

1. What is the current uber successful movie that Hollywood doesn’t understand?
I think Avatar is a good example. They have no idea why it did so well, and have no means to try and replicate it. I think no-one can explain Jurassic World. Nor Fast and the Furious 7. I think Warners don’t understand Avengers, but then I don’t think Disney really understood either as the sequel missed much of the magic from the original. I defy anyone to explain Frozen or Minions or Alice in Wonderland. That’s many of the biggest movies ever, and I don’t know if anyone can explain why they happened.

2. Why is no-one making a big budget no-holds-barred Jason & the Argonauts movie?
It’s the original Avengers. The original Justice League. It’s the bloody Olympics this year! How did they miss making this? How is this not a thing? Why don’t we have a real life Argonauts TV series with 85 people who are the best in various skills? Fuck Ninja warrior, make this instead!! This shit would sell in every country, be as big as the world cup and would sell hundreds of millions in merchandise! Get with it Hollywood!!!

No, no, no! Make both! ANW is on right now! Oklahoma City tonight, a hiatus for the Olympics (Triage 2016!) the Pittsburgh, then to Vegas for the finals.

I dunno. The Hanging Windows or the Crashing Cliffs?

Hitch and Ross’s America’s Got Powers would be a good vehicle for #2.

3D and the screens for Avatar were booked out. The sequel, although some critics said was better than the original, bombed. Right place at the right time, then again that is half the trick.

You can never know though, I have no idea why Jurassic World was such a huge hit. The theory comes in that its perfectly placed for nostalgia, 90s kids are now parents etc. Then Independence Day 2 tries the same stunt and falls flat on its face.

Like I said in the moviestar thread, some people treat this all like it’s a formula when it has more in common with a baseball player not washing his lucky socks all season.