millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - SPOILER discussion

Okay…In that case your enthusiasm is justifiable.

And I agree. Loved it.

Honestly, it seems like Star Wars can’t really handle relationships. I mean, Leia and Han and Anakin and Amidala. Except for Chewbacca’s family in the Holiday Special, no one else had any significant romantic relationships in any of the movies. I’m surprised people even get born in Star Wars - nobody’s f–king!

No wonder they needed all those clones.

And that’s another point which supports my campaign to re-canonise Kyle Katarn; he and Jan are one of the few non-shit relationships in all of the Star Wars. We need Kyle.

Kyle and Jan were replaced by Bland Carboard Cutout #1 and the guy who played Cassian.

It’s time to start healing.

A bit more on how the film was made, and changed. It seems the whole thing was quite fluid, right from the start;

–SNIP–

I heard from a lot of the people I’ve spoken to –and I could be wrong– that when you shot it they would sort of play it multiple ways on set, so that way in the editing room…

MENDELSOHN: Yep, absolutely, very much. We did have multiple, multiple ways of going at any given scenario, we had multiple readings of it. So should they ever decided to, there would be a wealth of ways of approaching these different things. And I know from having seen sort of the crucial kind of scenes throughout it, I know there’s vastly different readings of at least four of those scenes.

So in essence there’s basically a completely different version of the movie that could be played on like an alternate cut of the entire film.

MENDELSOHN: Absolutely, with enormous differences within I would’ve said 20 or 30 of the scenes.

That’s crazy.

rogue-one-poster-ben-mendelsohnMENDELSOHN: There really would be. There would be enormously different renderings.

–SNIP–
http://collider.com/ben-mendelsohn-rogue-one-star-wars-interview/#changes

Interesting. That makes it sound like there was no strong guiding vision for the movie at all, at that stage.

It’s not unusual, on a film of that scale, for a lot of different influences to be pushing and pulling at the structure.

We’ve seen examples (usually through things changed or missing from trailers) and heard other people talk about the conflicting agendas (everyone who’s directed a film for Marvel for a start), but yes, that does sound a bit excessive.

I want to play Rogue One mix and match editing game

I like the idea that the footage exists to create versions of the film to fit any genre.

I look forward to seeing the rom-com take. Or Rogue One: A Star Wars Musical.

I’m kind of surprised no one has done a parody musical with Kylo:

He’s a killer, he’s Kylo Ren

He killed his da, he killed his ma
And he would have done his grandpa

(Should clarify this is a pure pisstake, I have no advance Ep 8 info)

He’s a bad old dude that Kylo Ren
He loses his shit in front of his men
More grampa Annie than Uncle Ben
He killed his Dad and he’d do it again

I like this game. Let’s do Rogue One too.

Now old man Galen was fond of his Jyn
But it wasn’t a tonic when Krennic moved in
Erso did his bidding but included a flaw
That the Rebels could exploit with the help of Saw

So some ragtag rogues with a deadpan droid
Made off with the plans and got Vader annoyed
They achieved their goal but paid a high tariff
With an untimely end on the shores of Scarif

Many Bothans died to get them that far
(No wait, that was the wrong Death Star)

Never heard of it.

Edit to clarify: Any blanket statement I make can only ever be based on the sub-set of films I’ve seen. Manchester by the Sea may be the best film of all time, but I’m forced to exclude it from my blanket statement. So my statement still stands.

EDIT:
It looks like this is the work of; https://dribbble.com/alexey_kot

We were discussing whether it’s currently possible to get the proper version of the movie on DVD, because if we could we’d get it and watch it. But there have been so many repackaged releases, I have no idea which (if any) are the original version.

I think the original cuts were only released on DVD, on a “limited edition” one time only basis. I managed to get them at the time, but I’ve never seen them released again.

Yes, you have to buy the individual 2-disc DVD releases of the original trilogy that have the non-SE version of each film on the second disc as an extra. I believe that’s still the best official version of the unaltered trilogy available.

Yeah, the version I watched was the 2004 DVD that works well with the additions. Lucas couldn’t really mess that up with his tinkering.

Given what was done with the BR release, Disney could make a killing by releasing restored, remastered anamorphic widescreen blu-rays of the OT easily.

Fox also still have certain rights to rerelease ANH, don’t they?

I don’t know anything of the rights issue Dave. I had thought the LFL sale was everything, lock, stock and barrel?

Supposedly the original version of ANH doesn’t exist anymore but that might be an urban / internet myth.