millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - SPOILER discussion

McQuarrie and Williams could have done something amazing. But different as well. Not really Star Wars. Like Miqque says, that was George’s vision. Others helped it to really soar.

Thanks to some of the discussion in this thread - I am LOVING “Vader Down”.

No need to tread carefully. That’s not controversial. (Besides I don’t have any feathers. ;))

Star Wars was rejected by several studios before Lucas hired McQuarrie to visualise his ideas. He was pretty much a pioneer of concept art in that sense. The genius of Lucas is that he recognised his own limitations and didn’t hesitate to surround himself with the best collaborators. De Palma helped write the opening crawl. Lucas himself has stated that when he struggled to convey the story in his head he’d point to one of McQuarrie’s illustrations – “Just do it like this.”

Star Wars wouldn’t exist without McQuarrie. He thought it would never get funded, so he didn’t limit himself. They weren’t just static images. They were iconic, cinematic scenes that ultimately influenced how the characters were portrayed. Aside from the prequels, there’s not much in Star Wars that can’t be traced back to McQuarrie’s initial concept designs. Even the twin suns moment. It applies to the so-called new stuff too, a good example is that BB-8 was originally a design for R2-D2.

A lot of smart, talented people made ‘Star Wars’, film has always been collaborative, the auteur theory was an exercise in self-publicity by film critics.

However (and if this conversation continues then it should probably have its own thread) without Lucas there is no ‘Star Wars’.

It came from his head, the product of a childhood sent watching old serials and souping up cars. It’s Flash Gordon meet King Arthur in the wild west with oily spaceships and flashing lights because that’s where Lucas’ mind was in the early 70’s.

He never hesitated to bring in other people and other opinions but without him it really wouldn’t have been ‘Star Wars’. Someone else might’ve come up with a new space adventure or maybe remade ‘Flash Gordon’ (as Lucas had wanted to) but this combination of elements came from one man.

I believe I said the last time we talked about this, you only have to look at all the ripoffs to see how easy it was to get it wrong.

I’ve only just got through the first TPBs of Star Wars and Darth Vader. They’re both solid, enjoyable Star Wars comics, and the crossover elements are handled well.

From a few days ago;

:smiley:

all the new marvel star wars trades are 5 bucks on comixology atm.

Yep, that’s where/why I picked them up (see upthread). I bought the first two trades of those books and also Vader Down, so it’s good to know it’s worth it.

The biggest bummer of the film was how they ultimately wasted Donnie Yen and his mate with the big gun. It was very much like Suicide Squad where they set up these cool characters and then seemingly forgot they had most of them.

I thought they had plenty to do. Team on a mission movies are about those moments when they get to shine. Yen had more dialogue than most of the team. K-2SO was probably only a couple of lines ahead of him, and he was introduced earlier.

Like Robert I found myself zoning out once the team was assembled.

The second half is where they lose momentum until the final moments.

I agree there’s some slip and slide on the team section, we’re introduced to a larger group, some of whom I think we’re meant to remember later on when they’re dying like flies in the assault.

A film like ‘The Dirty Dozen’ or ‘The Magnificent 7’ concentrates on it’s core group, and lets anyone else be part of the background. ‘Rogue One’ got a little confused about that. Again, I assume that’s partly down to to reshoots and changes to the third act.

It didn’t ruin anything for me, but it wasn’t what it could’ve been.

Yes but most of Yen’s dialogue was one sentence repeated. :slight_smile:

Edit- I actually really like the idea of monks who believe heavily in the force but can’t use it. That is an idea worth a deeper exploration, to me anyway.

But he repeated it very well, and with feeling!

EDIT:
And it could’ve been more restrictive than that;

Most likely Lucasfilm/Disney’s publishing and animation divisions agree with you there.

I do wonder whether some of the stuff that was referenced here but didn’t really go anywhere (like kyber crystals or the guardians of the whills) is being set up as background information that will be picked up in future movies, whether that’s episodes 8 and 9 or the other standalones.

Either that or it was just more fan-pleasing nods to extended-universe stuff that wasn’t meant to stand out to casual viewers.

What does Hodor have to do with any of this?

That crossed my mind last evening. It was very Blake’s 7-ish.

Rogue One release sees Peter Cushing declared fit for work by DWP

Legendary screen actor Peter Cushing who starred as Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars Episode IV – A New Hope was today informed that he has been declared fit for work by the Department of Works and Pensions, despite dying in 1994.

A Statement from the DWP explained that “Peter Cushing is a fine example to all Britons out there with a long and distinguished work history, however after 20 years not working and apparently being dead we were delighted to see him well enough to appears in Rogue One – A star wars story.

“We’re not sure how or why this happened, but that does not concern us – what’s important is that he’s out there earning a crust at 103 years of age, so we had no choice but to declare him fit for work.”

–SNIP–

http://newsthump.com/2016/12/22/rogue-one-release-sees-peter-cushing-declared-fit-for-work-by-dwp/