millarworld.tv Comics Creators

RIP Kenny Baker, the man inside R2-D2

Kenny Baker, actor behind R2-D2, dies
The 3ft 8in actor, who starred in six Star Wars films as well as Time Bandits and Flash Gordon, was 83

Legend.

Thanks for the memories, Kenny.

Damn, 2016 is really going for it as crappiest year ever.

A break while filming

Also very fun and very professional, from bits over the years.

Short man, long legacy.

I love Time Bandits.

RIP Fidgit

Six Star Wars films? Was he not involved in The Force Awakens?

He was, as a consultant.

I think like Peter Mayhew his age and health have meant it was a somewhat ‘ceremonial’ role compared to their previous appearances. He turned up to the premier in a wheelchair so I don’t think he was in any position to go in the droid ‘suit’ while they filmed it.

Ah, that’s a real shame. I didn’t realise his health was failing.

He was credited in TFA as “R2 Consultant”, and R2 was played by Jimmy Vee, according to the wikis.

It seems like he had a great life. When he was born all those years ago I’m sure his parents couldn’t have dreamed how great their sons life was going to be. A real triumph, and a testament to the power of a career in the arts.

Peter Mayhew shared this and a couple of photos (one which is already posted here) on his website about Kenny Baker’s passing.

http://www.chewbacca.com/kenny.php

I know I’m a bit late with this, but my sadness is profound and no words seemed adequate to convey what we collectively and I personally have lost with the passing of my dear friend Kenny Baker. Kenny and I became fast friends the first time we met and formed a lifelong bond after realizing that we had so much in common. Although people liked to contrast the difference in our heights, we found we shared many of the same struggles, from finding clothes, driving cars, and fitting in airplane seats to health issues and the ever constant stares of strangers; we understood each other on a level that few others can. I am so very glad I got to spend time with him in London earlier this month. His talent and his wicked sense of humor never diminished even as his health did. Ever the showman, Kenny was always eager to meet his fans. In the decades we knew each other, I never met anyone who enjoyed the public more. For all the joy he brought this world on screen and off I give my thanks, and a final farewell to my little friend with the giant heart who’s gone to soon. Rest in Peace Kenny.

I love the cast photo below because it shows the enormous difference in stature between all the actors.

Kenny Baker - 3’8"
Carrie Fisher - 5’1"
Mark Hamill - 5’9"
Harrison Ford - 6’1"
David Prowse - 6’5"
Peter Mayhew - 7’2"