millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Reading Savage Dragon

Don’t blame me; I bought all four issues of Pax Romana!! :wink:

5 Likes

Figures. Those early Image books were selling several hundred thousand copies per issue.

1 Like

I think his first books were The Nightly News.

2 Likes

Linkara reviews Savage Dragon 1:

Jim is correct now I remember, it’s The Nightly News he was talking about. Of course that got a bit of hype and sold well in trade later (which is when I suspect most of us read it).

It was an interesting insight because you can see how most self-published guys are writer/artists (like Terry Moore or Jeff Smith), they’ve got less to co-ordinate and not much to share or spend.

2 Likes

RIght: By “books”, I thought maybe he was referring to all his early work.

Where’s my fucking recommendation, @njerry? I’ve been waiting almost a month. :wink:

3 Likes

I knew there was something I was supposed to do…

3 Likes

Okay.

The Savage Dragon series has a few stand-alone issues, but for the most part it is an ongoing storyline, which means if I pick a random issue to recommend, you may not understand what the hell is going on and who some of the characters are.

Having said that, issue #225 is a good example of what Larsen does best in this book — well-drawn action scenes interspersed with character moments, with a “whoa” moment or two thrown in. This particular issue was the climax of a storyline in which (in the immediately previous issues) villain Mr Glum has merged all the multiple dimensions and timelines together in order to get this dimension’s Angel Murphy (the original Dragon’s step-daughter) to absorb the memories of an Angel from an alternate timeline in which she loved Glum, so that the current Angel will love him. This move has gotten the attention of old Dragon nemesis Damien Darklord, who arrives with the intention of destroying this world as punishment for eliminating the other dimensions.

Yeah, I know.

It also helps to know that the original Dragon has had his powers negated, but he has a vial of his son Malcolm’s blood which can temporarily restore those powers. The downside is that Malcolm’s blood is volatile…

Hope you enjoy it.

6 Likes

A $10, 100-page, conclusion, giant-sized, anniversary special? Well played. :wink:

I’ll look forward to it. I’ll pick it up, read it and leave my review soon.

5 Likes

Honestly, I chose it from the most recent Archives collection, which contained only the main 20-page story. Didn’t occur to me that the specific single issue was a Super Spectacular. Sorry; if you want, I can recommend another.

Or you can get the big issue to get a feel for how much Larsen gives to his fans for a mere $10.

3 Likes

As long as it’s all killer and no filler, I’m down with it.

3 Likes

#232 is another recommended issue, for only $4. The only thing you need to know is that, while Malcolm Dragon is defending the citizens of Toronto (where he was welcomed after President Trump exiled all “aliens”), some of his friends went to Dimension-X and have been befriended by Michael, the original Dragon’s son from another timeline who is trying to help them return to our dimension.

On this issue, Larsen was experimenting with a different board size, larger than usual, which gives his art a more detailed look, I think.

2 Likes

Savage Dragon #232 is $1.99 and a regular 32 page comic. A little more what I had in mind.

It’s bought. I’ll read it soon and drop my review here.

5 Likes

Savage Dragon #232 - There’s a lot to like here. Larsen’s art still has that Image Founder pop but only seems to have gotten better over the years. I see what @njerry means about more detail. Just check out the splash below. It seems like Larsen knows when to push and pull on detail to direct focus and tell a story. There’s also a nice mix of big action scenes and quieter personal moments to make the issue feel substantial. There’s quite a bit of bang for the buck in that respect. The issue does a decent job of explaining itself even to someone coming in cold. However, this does have its limits and it took a bit to figure out certain things like who Michael was in relation to Malcolm and what/where the two different settings were. There is also a bit of shoehorned politics that makes me think Larsen thinks a lot about Trump. There were some odd short comics at the end of the issue that seemed a bit subpar compared to the talent we generally see on Millarworld. I assume this is Larsen giving new talent a platform. So I can hardly fault him for that. All in all it feels like Larsen is just making the book he wants to. There’s a lot of fun in that but I think there is enough water under the bridge and ticks of his that would get old fast with me. So while I enjoyed the issue and appreciate @njerry’s recommendation, I don’t know if I would be tempted to read this book on a regular basis.

6 Likes

Issue #244 is either coming out this week or next.

Savage Dragon #244

As his life falls apart and his world comes crashing down around him, Malcolm Dragon faces the pulse-pounding power of the fighting fowl called Powerhouse!

1 Like

Great review, @RonnieM!! Welcome aboard the Savage Dragon-Wagon!!

Seriously, I appreciate that you gave it a try; I know it’s not for everyone, but I think the book deserves some attention. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was worth the read. Honestly, Larsen is doing what a lot of us say we want, a continuous narrative from a singular creative voice.

2 Likes

I think really that’s why the best way to read it is in those cheap archive editions. 25 or so issues at a time. That’s because what makes the book stand out is that it’s one guy being allowed to do what he wants and allow characters to evolve and age over time. It’s the opposite of X-Men books that once were like that when Claremont was in control but not now are constant reboot and relaunch.

3 Likes

Ugh, he doesn’t send his characters through the Siege Perilous does he? :wink:

1 Like