millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Rank The Marvel Movies in order of LOVE!

Okay, I just knocked the AOU thread massively off-topic with this list so let’s just make this a thread all of her own! AOU can continue in a new thread.

So… things got really interesting in the old thread as we started to rank the Marvel movies. Now we’d have a bit of distance I’d agree with a lot of the previous in terms of charting. Marvel has always had that difficult second album thing going on with their sequels, Cap 2 being the only real exception. I also feel IM3 pulled it back on track a lot for me after a really not good second picture, but then I loved the Mandarin twist.

Anyway, in order, here’s what I liked…

Guardians
Captain America 2
Iron Man 1
Thor
Incredible Hulk (a really fun movie let down a little by CGI fight at the end)
IM3
Avengers (about the same level as AOU, but with a really fun third act)
Cap (I still have no idea what happened in third act of this movie)
AOU
IM2
Thor 2.

I’ve still yet to get to the end of Thor 2 and have tried three times. Bear in mind I saw Superman 4 in the cinema several times and you’ll appreciate I’m unusually patient when it comes to superhero movies, which I think says a lot smile

I agree that Ant-Man, Strange and Black Panther feels, like Guardians, a much needed breath of fresh air. But here’s an interesting thought. How would you rate the MARVEL CHARACTER movies overall. I’ve added in mine below with the studio beside them. It’s interesting how many were made outside Marvel Studios. Brand loyalty with Marvel is very strong, but I still don’t think anyone has made a superhero movie in the last 20 years that’s as good as Ramie’s Spider-Man 2. Why has everyone forgotten how good those movies were?

Anyway, Marvel in full these past 16 years or so…

Spider-Man 2 SONY
Guardians
Spider-Man 1 SONY
X-Men 2 FOX
X-Men: Days of Future Past FOX
X-Men: First Class FOX
Captain America 2
Iron Man 1
Avengers (about the same level as AOU, but with a really fun third act)
Thor
The Wolverine FOX
Blade 2 NEW LINE
Blade 1 NEW LINE
Spider-Man 3 SONY
Incredible Hulk (a really fun movie let down a little by CGI fight at the end)
Fantastic Four FOX
Fantastic Four 2 FOX
IM3
X3: The Last Stand FOX
Cap (I still have no idea what happened in third act of this movie)
AOU
Daredevil FOX
Wolverine FOX
IM2
Amazing Spider-Man SONY
Amazing Spider-Man 2 (I’ve still never finished this) SONY
Thor 2 (likewise)

Is that them all?

Never seen Elektra or either Ghost Rider movie and thus missing from the list.

MM

i think you got that list pretty spot on their, Chief.
i’d maybe move put IM3 below the two Avengers movies, but apart from that, good call.

You didn’t mention Ang Lee’s Hulk or any of The Punisher films.

I assume it’s just implied that they are awesome?

Ang Lee’s Hulk maybe between Wolverine and IM2.

Haven’t seen the Punisher movies, though always mean to as I really like the character.

MM

The irony that you haven’t seen ‘Elektra’ is powerful. :slight_smile:

Haha. I forgot that one, though heard there was a character called Mark Miller, which excited me!!

MM

Interesting that Marvel Studios made just 5 of my top 10 and 8 of my top 20.

Their hit rate is fantastic, of course, but I think this nixes the argument that other studios can’t do Marvel movies. Raimi and Singer in particular do very well on this list at Sony and Fox.

MM

They got the hair colour wrong;

And the “e” of course.

I’m glad that somebody else ranks Thor highly. Before watching I had no idea how they were gonna do it, but they pulled it off magnificently.

I also agree on the other studio argument. I think Fox are currently my favourite as they’ve not made a dud since 2009.

Boy, I agree very much with Mark on the overall Marvel properties, aside from the fact that I didn’t care for Winter Soldier. I’d rank them maybe like this:

Spider-Man 2 SONY
Guardians
X-Men 2 FOX
X-Men: Days of Future Past FOX
Avengers
X-Men: First Class FOX
Spider-Man 1 SONY
Spider-Man 3 SONY (until the third act)
Iron Man 1

After that, all of the others are tied.

I don’t want to ruin my credibility but on a good day I’d rank Spidey 3 a bit higher, maybe just below Avengers, ha. Of course I always shut if off halfway in because the last 30-40 minutes is such a mess. But I love the first 60-90 minutes.

Let me try my hand at this…

X-Men 2
Blade 2
Iron Man
Spider-Man 2
The Punisher (Thomas Jane)
Captain America 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Blade 1
Hulk (Ang Lee)
X-Men 1
Captain America 1
Spider-Man 1
Iron Man 3
Guardians
Avengers 1/Avengers 2
The Incredible Hulk
Thor 1/ Thor 2
Amazing Spider-Man 1
Amazing Spider-Man 2

That seems about full enough.

The first 15 minutes of Elektra showed an amazing Frank Miller worthy character. I’m not sure what happened after that.

Even less interest from those behind it than the movie it was spinning off from?

I’m probably in the minority in that I really liked Daredevil especially the Director’s Cut.

That’s why I used “even less”, because Daredevil did have things going for it. I’d place it lower on the totem pole of 00’s comic films that were trying to find their way - but it’s enjoyable enough.
Especially the Director’s Cut.

WAKE ME UP

OK, here goes.

Spider-Man 2
X-Men 2
Spider-Man
Avengers
Cap 2: Winter Soldier
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Iron Man
Iron Man Three
Guardians of the Galaxy
X-Men
X-Men: First Class
Spider-Man 3
Blade 2
Blade
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Hulk (Ang Lee)
Daredevil
Thor
The Wolverine
Thor 2: The Dark World
Iron Man 2
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
Captain America
Fantastic Four
Incredible Hulk
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Blade Trinity

Haven’t seen:
Elektra
Ghost Rider
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Man-Thing
Punisher
Punisher: War Zone

Quite liked Thor: The Dark World - likely would rank it higher than some would here. Another true to the comic was Punisher: War Zone. I’d like to see the missing footage from Iron Man 2 and, as rumored already, Age if Ultron. And such low ratings for The Incredible Hulk when it was the best action-y Hulk until Avengers did it better.

There is no possible reason to watch Man-Thing.
:tanabata_tree: <- like this, with more arms, for about fifteen seconds.

The thing that elevates the ‘Thor’ films is the humour. I laughed a lot with the first one, and nearly as much with the second.

It would be too easy to take everything very seriously, lots of cod Shakespearean angst etc. I love the fact they can have all the family dram and still undercut it with comedy.

I liked the first Thor film because it fit Thor and Asgard into the existing Marvel Universe framework. I was skeptical until then.

The first Thor was an excellent movie. It’s perhaps been the most instrumental is expanding the Marvel cinematic universe beyond what people thought would work. Iron Man and Captain America were good movies but it didn’t really break new ground like Thor did.