millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Rank the 2018 superhero movies

A few people started this in the Aquaman thread so let’s start a new one.

I’ve got:

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Black Panther
  4. Aquaman
  5. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
  6. Venom
  7. Incredibles 2
  8. Deadpool 2
  9. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Not a bad year.

3 Likes

If we’re doing it, then let’s get to listing.
This was based on a mix of “enjoyment in the theater” and “willingness to rewatch again at home/maybe own physically”
The only one I actually disliked was the very last one.

1. Deadpool 2
  2. Venom
  3. Incredibles 2
  4. Infinity War
  5. Spider-Verse
  6. Aquaman
  7. Teen Titans Go to the Movies/Black Panther
  8. Ant-Man and the Wasp
3 Likes

Of the ones I saw:

1. Spider-Verse
  2. Black Panther
  3. Infinity War
  4. Incredibles 2
  5. Deadpool 2
  6. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  7. Aquaman
1 Like

Finally!
Okay, here we go:

2. Incredibles 2
  3. Batman Ninja
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
  5. Deadpool 2
  6. My Hero Academia: Two Heroes
  7. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
  8. Aquaman
  9. Venom
  10. Black Panther
  11. Ant-Man and the Wasp
2 Likes

Haven’t seen them all yet, but:

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Venom
  3. Deadpool 2
  4. Ant-Man and Wasp
  5. Black Panther
1 Like
  2. Black Panther
  3. Avengers: Infinity War
  4. Incredibles 2
  5. Aquaman
  6. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  7. Deadpool 2
  8. Venom

I haven’t seen Teen Titans Go! To The Movies.

1 Like
  1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  3. Black Panther
  4. Deadpool 2
  5. Venom
  6. Ant-Man and the Wasp

I put Infinity War first, not because it was a better film, just because I anticipated and enjoyed it more as a thing that happened unlike anything I can think of, recently.

2 Likes

I don’t know that I’d be able to rank the ones I saw (Black Panther, Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Spider-Verse) beyond maybe having Deadpool 2 at the bottom (but I still really liked it).

So far…

1/ Infinity War
2/ Venom
3/ Deadpool 2
4/ Ant-Man and The Wasp
5/ Black Panther

I’m on track to catch up on the rest by the time we get to our best of the decade lists… probably…

Edited to include Venom, which was a surprisingly enjoyable wad of gloop.

1 Like

Ok, I’m not going to have time to get to Aquaman before the year is over so I’ll do this based on what I’ve seen.

1. Teen Titans Go! To The Movies - this was a delight all round, probably the funniest superhero movie I’ve ever seen and a joy for both adults and kids. I’m putting the DVD in my son’s stocking this Christmas, and if I’m honest that’s partly because I want to watch it again.

2. Venom - silly schlocky fun that did exactly what it said on the tin. The wacky comedy angle worked for me, the story was solid and Venom himself was perfectly brought to life. The year’s biggest surprise.

3. Black Panther - I like it when the MCU films play with genre, and this was a great high-tech James Bond-esque superspy romp as much as anything else. The charismatic cast and a brilliantly realised vision of Wakanda helped to make up for some of the more generic elements.

4. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse - when we left the cinema I asked my daughter what she thought of this, and she said “I liked it, but there was too much happening all the time”. It summed up my feelings perfectly. It would be impossible for a lifelong Spidey fan like me to dislike this film, and there were lots of parts that made me feel like standing on my feet and cheering. I also loved the animation and art style and thought the music worked really well. But in throwing too much into the story, it felt like everything was a bit shortchanged and nothing got the time to breathe. There’s a lovely, elegant Peter Parker/Miles Morales story in there waiting to get out, and I feel like it would have worked better to focus on that and save more of the multiversal stuff for a sequel. Undeniably fun, just overstuffed.

5. Avengers: Infinity War - and talking of overstuffed… This was a bold, impressive effort but it felt like the two-and-a-half-hour middle act of a story that it was. Also, the structure was all over the place, with scenes often feeling like they could have come in a totally different order and made as much sense. It all felt quite shapeless. Maybe I’ll like it better once I get to see the story end. But there’s still some dazzling stuff here and the artistry is amazing. It really was the comics summer crossover event as a movie, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings.

6. Incredibles 2 - a disappointing retread that pretty much vanished from my memory as soon as I saw it. The best bits were largely just repeats of stuff from the first one. They shouldn’t have returned to the property.

Still haven’t seen Ant-Man 2, Deadpool 2 and Aquaman but I will at some point.

5 Likes

In terms of simple enjoyment and emotional connection.

VENOM
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
DEADPOOL 2
ANT-MAN AND THE WASP

I’ll see AQUAMAN tomorrow and I think that will do it as far as superhero movies. Were there any superhero or comic book movies in 2018 that were not Marvel or DC related? Just Incredibles 2, I think, which I didn’t see. Or Bumblebee, but Transformers is really its own thing.

1. Infinity War
  2. Spider-verse
  3. Deadpool 2 (liked this one far more than I thought I would)
  4. Incredible
  5. Black Panther
  6. Aquaman
  7. Ant Man (my pick for worst MCU movie ever made)
  8. A Literal Pile of Garbage
  9. Venom
1 Like

I’ve not seen Spider-Man, ant-man or Aquaman yet …or venom for that matter

1. Teen Titans Go
  2. Deadpool 2
  3. Black Panther
  4. Infinity War

Quite a big gap

1. Incredibles 2

The top 3 were superb

3 Likes