millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Rank Steven Spielberg's Top 10 movies!

Inspired by this list, I’m mentally doing this for tomorrow.

I agree with most of it, but Munich, Lost World, Amsted and Empire of the Sun all way too high. Catch Me if you Can is a really fun movie and maybe deserves higher.

Your thoughts?

MM

Looking at Spielberg’s filmography, I’ve only seen about half his stuff. I’ve seen everything since Saving Private Ryan except The Terminal and WotW, but only a handful of his stuff from before that (Schindler’s List, Jurassic Park, Raiders, Last Crusade, ET, Hook, and Jaws).

1. DUEL
    (The rest is in no order because they all fall under generally good movies)
    Catch Me If you Can
    Jaws
    Saving Private Ryan
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence (yeah, so what?)
    Close Encounters
    E.T.
    Schindler’s List

And that’s about it for me.

1. ET
  2. Raiders
  3. Jaws
  4. Close Encounters
  5. Jurassic Park
  6. Private Ryan

The rest I won’t rank as I don’t think they’re that great. I’m not a fan of preachy Speilberg, and I don’t think he’s made a great movie in nearly 20 years. In fact I don’t know if he can anymore, I think he’s lost touch with modern audiences.

Yeah, I realized halfway through my list that he just doesn’t have enough movies for a Top 10

Those 6 though are among the best in movie history. They all belong on any top 100 list. The guy had amazing vision and could craft a story like no-one else, it just bums me out that he chased the Oscar with Schindlers and never really got back again to what he was best at - aping the 1950’s action adventure serial. Since Schindlers it’s either been preachy earnest American history lesson, or some sort of caper that reeks of Dad jeans.

I think it happens all great talent, they succeed to the extent where they’re no longer hungry, or they have minions who soften them and do some of the grunt work they would have done previously, and as a result they lose what made them magic in the first place. Happens with actors, directors, musicians, artists, writers - they all seem to lose a step once the big money arrives.

Jim I’m surprised you don’t like Lincoln.

Top Ten Movies of the last 10 years!

1 Jaws
2 Close Encounters
3. Raiders
4. Minority Report
5. ET
6. AI
7. Private Ryan
8. Last Crusade
9. Lincoln
10. Jurassic Park

I love all of those and could list more. I love Spielberg.

Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Saving Private Ryan
Jurassic Park
Schindler’s List
Duel
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
E.T.
Munich

Tintin would be my 11th choice.

Spielberg’s movies I luv;
Last Crusade
Saving Private Ryan
Catch Me If You Can
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Minority Report
Sugarland Express
AI

Spielberg’s movies that are below par (for me);
The Terminal
Hook
Always
Lost World

Just realised I hadn’t done my own…

1/ Jaws (possibly greatest movie ever made)
2/ Raiders of the Lost Ark
3/ Close Encounters
4/ ET
5/ Temple of Doom
6/ The Colour Purple
7/ Saving Private Ryan
8/ Minority Report
9/ First 2/3rds of War of the Worlds
10/ Last Crusade

Honourable mention to his Night Gallery episode with Joan Crawford, which is one of the best 30 minutes of TV you’ll ever see and probably on Youtube. A brilliantly structured, brilliantly shot mini-masterpiece. You KNEW this guy had a Jaws around the corner.

MM

Finally, another list I can respect hahaha

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (my favourite film)
  2. Jaws (watched it a million times as a teenager)
  3. Schindler’s List (important and perfectly balanced)
  4. E.T (no, it’s something in my eye, honest)
  5. Duel (and there are bits of this that are still as good as he’s ever been)
  6. Close Encounters (very dreamlike, in a good way)

Of the rest, I like ‘Lincoln’ but I prefer the bits that Lincoln isn’t the centre of. The story of the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing is the best material.

‘AI’ is interesting but too silly to be a real heartbreaker.

‘Private Ryan’ has a shattering scene on Omaha beach but the rest isn’t anywhere near as good. The battle scenes are all amazing, but it’s just a war film after that opening.

I can’t say I’m too fussed about the rest. ‘Minority Report’ maybe, but it takes forever to get going.

A lot of my favourite films had the “Spielberg touch” and were produced by him. Back to the Future, Gremlins, Roger Rabbit, Goonies, Poltergeist and American Tail were very important films for me. However as a director I find his movies a bit of a mixed bag. My faves are…

1 Jaws
2 Jurassic Park
3 Duel
4 ET
5 Temple Of Doom
6 Tintin
7 Last Crusade
8 Empire of the Sun
9 Sugarland Express
10 The Crystal Skull

I feel like Close Encounters should be in there but it’s honestly been so long I don’t remember it all that well. Might be one to watch again. From a technical point of view I can see the merit of all his war films, I just don’t particularly enjoy that kind of movie.

This is even worse than the Kurt Russell thread! How can everyone get this all so wrong?!?

The correct answer for the top of the list should be this in every case:

I can’t even handle the kerning on the opening title much get through the entire episode. :wink:

My list would be

1-Jaws ( one of the greatest villains with just a soundtrack! Brilliant! )

2- E.T. ( my childhood’s favourite and later i realised that’s exactly what this film is about! )

3- Jurassic Park ( saw it on the cinema when i was 10y , changed my life! )

4 - Schindler’s list ( film making masterpiece! )

5- Raiders ( wanted to be Indiana and Dr. Grant at the same time!! )

6- Terminal ( love the script!! And it was so well executed)

7- A.I. ( Kubrik’s last story…and S. did an amazing job with this futuristic Pinnochio story! )

8- Minority Report ( such a clever film )

9- Saving Private Ryan ( just for that D Day shot!! )

10 - Hook ( One of my guilty pleasures! )

And voila!

I can’t put Schinder’s List on a list, it’s just on a different level. And its not a film I can watch with any regularity.

The rest… mostly the same as everyone else’s give or take moving things a space or two up and down. BIG fan of Munich though. Fantastic direction in that film.

“Every Frame A Painting” did a great piece on “The Spielberg Oner”. If you love movies, subscribe to this guy’s channel. Great great stuff.

I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen 10 Spielberg films. I might have seen 9, assuming he directed all the Indy films.

Yep, he did all three Indy films.

All three.