millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

Not necessarily. There is a word in northern England dialects, jip meaning pain, as in “My lumbago is giving me [the] jip”, or sometimes turned around as “I’ll give you jip” (I’ll give you a jolly good thrashing). Not used much now, so Bobby is showing his age :wink:

It seems unlikely that it’s related to “gyp” meaning “to cheat”, which was first recorded in North America only about a century ago.

Only an idiot takes on the FF. They’ll always beat you.

Proof that Victor Von Doom may be a very smart man, but not a wise one. That and:

I don’t think it’s even that localised as we used it in south Wales. I don’t think it’s ever been associated with gypsies (or someone would have complained by now).

Interesting! So it all depends on whether @BobbyS wanted to say “What a pain!”, refering to the whole frustrating procedure, or “What a cheat!”, refering to ebay or the seller. Two distinctly different meanings that depend entirely on how you interpret one homophone.

NE of Scotland too.

Kind of both really. I was frustrated that I missed out on the 10% discount on an item I thought I was getting it on but also pissed off with eBay for having no mention anywhere on their website that states you can only put 10 items in your basket at one time.

Finally got my art wall up in the loft.

Love that Art Adams piece!! Nice collection, Bobby.

This journalist should see how well we all turned out in order to allivate her extremely silly fears.

The sad thing is, the death threats she’ll get on Twitter from idiots over this will back up her views.

I read that article yesterday, and it’s frustrating as she seems to have a certain depth of knowledge and understanding of the genre at times, but then at other times says things that suggest only the merest surface knowledge.

It feels like one of those articles where the point has been deliberately over-exaggerated to make it worthy of printing, but in doing so it’s lost any sense of balance or proportion.

I was just going to say “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing”. She has clearly well researched her article. But, the opinions contained within struggle to grasp the concepts that she is commenting upon. It’s a superficial analysis that doesn’t warrant any further discussion. I think the bit that proves my point is when she questions the validity of superheroic fiction, but at the same time regrets the lack of Lego sets branded with her choice of religious fiction.

She also wrote this last week:

She’s really connecting with the public zeitgeist there too then.

It’s turned out to be pretty monumentally badly-timed too, given the outpourings we’ve already seen this week after the news about Stan Lee’s death.

Since the news broke yesterday, I’ve seen so many messages and tributes from people across the world who have drawn strength from his work in important ways: people with disabilities who said his comics both inspired and motivated them and also helped to change attitudes towards their condition; people from abusive family backgrounds who said his books helped them to find hope and strength during dark times; people who have had their attitudes to race and sexuality changed through his stories and his words; and people (like me) who were reading Marvel superhero comics just at the time that their moral codes were crystallising, and who incorporated many of their lessons into key parts of their core personality and their outlook on life.

I know we’ve talked a lot here about attitudes to diversity at Marvel (and in comics in general), and how there’s been a cynicism to some of the recent moves to promote diversity. But reading these comments has reminded me that, at their core, a lot of the stories we grew up with have very positive, progressive and empowering messages and have actually played a pretty big role in helping to convey and reinforce some important ideas to young people.

It’s not only Stan Lee’s stories that have done that, of course. But it’s still a pretty great legacy for him to leave behind: a gigantic body of work that has not only entertained people, but has also gently (and sometimes not-so-gently) and subtly (and sometimes not-so-subtly) encouraged positive and progressive social attitudes too.

It really puts the lie to the idea of superheroes as ‘bad role models’.

Wow. Just read that article. I’m a bit in shock. It says so much more about the writer than the subject matter.