millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

I’m ambidextrous!

Fair point though I will correct one.

Alien and H.R. Giger :wink:

Those really are great pictures though. What is Douglas Adams holding in his hands? Is it a ring or pull tab of some kind?

Yep, it’s a reference to the cover of the third H2G2 book you can see in the window behind him.

220px-Life%2C_The_Universe_and_Everything_cover

Huh, I’ve never seen that version of the cover. If I remember correctly, I read the books in a collected format. This is the individual cover I’m more familiar with though.

As you know US And UK covers used to be almost always different. They are still to a lesser extent (and we get exposed to them anyway on the internet).

Ya. Just saying why I didn’t get the joke. That cover isn’t the cover used anymore anyway. Most popular books (especially paperbacks) get cover/trade-dress refreshes every few years.

This is the last round of covers I remember. Even those have a modified header on most of them to link them to the film. Previous versions looked more like the first book. They have probably changed a couple times since then.

When I left B&N after 12 years, I signed the wall that everyone did when they left with “So long and thanks for all the books.”

I think my favourite might be this US cover for one of the Red Dwarf novels.

Feels like the artist read the book but never actually saw the show…

51X7TL0fy7L

It’s kind of like when you translate song titles to Russian and back using Google Translate. :smile:

(I like that he’s got Lister’s ethnicity wrong because I assume there was no reason to mention it in the adaptation).

Best. Answer. Ever. :laughing:

Yeah, for a show that was fairly progressive in its day in terms of casting two non-white leads, that cover has managed to pretty effectively whitewash the whole thing. :slight_smile:

Wisconsin Man Has More Than 200,000 Comics in His Collection

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/wisconsin/articles/2018-08-11/wisconsin-man-has-more-than-200-000-comics-in-his-collection

Nice to see comics creators visiting Stan in his old age and at least Todd shows he has a sense of humour.

Todd’s account of a meeting earlier this year (from Facebook) was heartwarming.

More updates from Todd on his visit to see Stan Lee:

Sorry to step on your toes, @Todd:

Kevin Smith announced today that since his heart attack he’s worked hard on his weight, has lost 50 pounds and is down to 205.

I’m happy for him.

I don’t know if it’s the only thing but he’s been using Weight Watchers. He’s become one of their spokespeople. Their new program seems to be much more sustainable and seems mainly focused on keeping track of what you eat and preferencing healthy choices.

Yeah he tagged them a lot in his posts about it.

I think it’s great. He’s a role model to a lot of people and it’s a nice message to send after years of proudly being a fat slob as part of his personal image and brand.

Smith has actually been up and down in weight before. At one point, he was taking an anti-cholesterol drug that kept his body from absorbing/processing fat. He wrote a post somewhere about how interesting what came out of him in the toilet was at first and how quickly that stopped being novel. He lost quite a bit of weight in that period but ended up gaining it back.