millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

This is interesting to look at. As with all things comics there are never any numbers but these are Comixology best sellers compared to direct market print. Injustice I knew over-performed digitally and Ms Marvel too. Interesting how high indie stuff gets and not so much Marvel and DC. It’s also interesting because in the current day and date model a digital sale is worth a lot more than a physical one, more than double the profit margin.

1. Saga #52
  2. Doomsday Clock #5
  3. Justice League: No Justice #3
  4. Man of Steel #1
  5. Amazing Spider-Man #800
  6. Injustice 2 #60 (99 cent digital first)
  7. X-Men Red Annual #1
  8. Batman: Prelude to the Wedding: Robin vs. Ra’s Al Ghul #1
  9. Marvel Two-In-One #6
  10. X-Men Blue #28
  11. Lazarus #28
  12. Ms. Marvel #30
  13. Green Lanterns Annual #1
  14. Green Arrow Annual #2
  15. Kill or Be Killed #19
  16. Infinity Countdown: Captain Marvel #1
  17. Daredevil #603
  18. Descender #30
  19. Star Wars: Lando- Double or Nothing #1
  20. Sonic the Hedgehog #5
  21. Spider-Gwen #32
  22. The Punisher #225
  23. Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #19
  24. Super Sons/Dynomutt Special #1
  25. Star Trek: The Next Generation: Through the Mirror #5
  26. Harbinger Wars 2 #1
  27. Bloodborne #4 (Digital delay)
  28. Abbott #5
  29. Aquaman/Jabberjaw Special #1
  30. Raven: Daughter of Darkness #5
  31. Vampironica #2
  32. Star Trek: Discovery #4
  33. The Last Seige #1
  34. Flash/Speed Buggy Special #1
  35. Black Lightning/Hong Kong Phooey Special #1
  36. Warframe #5
  37. The Realm #6
  38. G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #252
  39. Bane: Conquest #11
  40. Royal City #11
  41. Harrow County #31
  42. Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay #11 (99 cent digital first)
  43. You Are Deadpool #5
  44. Cyber Force #3
  45. Hack/Slash: Resurrection #7
  46. Blackwood #1
  47. Lockjaw #4
  48. VS #4
  49. Savage Dragon #234
  50. Judge Dredd: Under Seige #1
  51. Jughead: The Hunger #6
  52. Jim Henson’s Labyrinth: Coronation #4
  53. Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses #35
  54. Hillbilly #10
  55. Scooby-Doo Team Up #76 (99 cent digital first)
  56. Quantum and Woody! #6
  57. Pathfinder: Spiral of Bones #3
  58. My Little Pony: Ponyville Mysteries #1
  59. Sword of Ages #4
  60. Goblin Slayer #24 (Same day as Japan)
  61. Pestilence: A Story of Satan #1
  62. Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose #110
  63. Image Plus Vol. 2 #10: June 2018
  64. Grass Kings #15
  65. Goblin Slayer: Brand New Day #1 (Same day as Japan)
  66. Jeepers Creepers #2
  67. Everything Will Be Okay #1
  68. The Wilds #3
  69. Sheena: Queen of the Jungle #9
  70. The Crow: Memento Mori #3

Does anyone here have their comic book collection insured? Like many of us I have spent a fortune on these things over the years, and I dread to think how much it would all cost to replace.

Insurance companies always ask if anything is a high value item individually. Well, no. But the collection is.

I have 30+ Absolutes and/ or Omnibuses on my bookshelf - that alone is over £3000 at retail, ignoring that many of these are now out of print, with an increased after sales value. I have many hundreds of tpb’s in the house. 30 long boxes of comics.

Will my home insurance cover all of this?

When I showed them my near-mint Codename: Strykeforce run, they just laughed.

I never did. I would think insurance would only cover very high dollar books, ones starting in the thousands.

Your best bet would be to keep a detailed inventory of your collection with estimated values with pictures and have that included with your contents. Keep your inventory list up to date with additions, subtractions and value changes.

Y’know, I think I read something about an app for this - around the time that fire wiped out Len Wein’s collection. You’re an app guy, Vik! I know there are inventory apps for home insurance (my mom was an antique dealer and personal property appraiser before computers, it used to be based on individual knowledge!). If nothing else, take a video (on videoTAPE, so, yeah, maybe rent a camera) and take a long lingering video of all the books - making sure to capture condition. At the very least, most should insure for replacement (fair market) value. So, you’d get back whatever is still on the market, but any appreciation in price due to rarity or whatever would have to be itemized out separately. Thos five copies you’ve been hoarding of Amazing Fantasy #15, for example!

Check out this story for an (unacknowledged) guest-appearance from a comics pro halfway through.

I don’t. What I know assumes home insurance is similar to the US. It will likely cover most of it as it covers books. We had a water leak in our house that damaged a some curriculum books my wife had from teaching music which are rather expensive. The insurance company would cover part of them but only by reimbursing us for a portion of what she rebought. If the amount is significant, you would likely need a rider on your home insurance. You can generally take out riders for all kinds of things, jewelry, guns, art or other items of significant value.

www.comicbookdb.com seems to be down. I heard someone say it was a GDPR issue.

Anyone got a good alternative database for looking up comic books and creator credits?

That link works for me.

But not for me.

Isn’t the GDPR thing about blocking EU access? Presumably that’s why you’re fine.

Yeah, I heard it was just an issue for Europe.

This seems to confirm it:

Okay that’s the answer for Bobby then, he just needs to move continents and it’ll work.

I suspect the number of authors who could claim this is pretty small…

And to make it even more remarkable, “Angeliki” is Danish, not a native speaker of the language Gaiman writes in.

And the Gaiman fan who retweeted this so I could see it is Russian :smiley:

I like Gaiman’s work for younger readers but I’ve never read that. Or Instructions. I need to remedy that.

Mark posted this on twitter a few days ago, I didn’t see anything about it here.

I posted about it in the movies thread:

I think there’s never been a post that has more truly been in the spirit of this thread.