millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Random comics-related things

It’s not great but he’s 80 years old.

In his day of the late 1960s and 70s he was head and shoulders the best artist in American comics and has influenced hundreds after him. I’m very happy to forgive his eccentricities in old age, especially as they are often very funny, the comics world would be much poorer without him.

There’s no doubt that he reintroduced a level of realism that others ran with. I think the change is as much to try to amp up what marks his style to compete with some of his progeny but in turn makes it less real which was the real kicker.

Some of his persona is funny until you realize he’s quite serious. I agree that he did a lot for the comics world especially with respect to creators’ rights. I just find it incredibly odd that he wishes he had taught Miller humility when it’s a trait he obviously lacks.

It’s more than that, modern Bryan Hitch doesn’t happen without Adams. He’s in the top 5 most important American comic artists of the 20th century.

Also the fact that he’s deadly serious is the funny bit. I do get though that it isn’t to most tastes, I tend to like characters over humility, which is my quirk.

However even if you hate the person, the work and the man are different things (especially when it’s primarily artwork and not writing where the two can bleed over more).

Go on then, I love a list.

Will Eisner
Winsor McCay
Alex Raymond
Jack Kirby

Fifth could be Adams, but I’m also thinking of Joe Kubert and Jim Steranko. A tough list!

I re-read a couple of trades featuring the alt-reality daughter of Hulk and Thundra, Savage She-Hulk this weekend. I thought “Lyra’s a pretty cool character, but I’ve not seen her since Avengers Academy, I wonder where she showed up after?” So I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Oh. :confused:

I still think he holds his views, but decided to be less vocal about it.
Though I am glad he is back, yet, I have zero faith in his Superman graphic novel, considering the treatment he gave in his Batman comics.

As for Adams, one of the definite Batman and GL artist, and he should stick to art only. Anyway, I hate when people say it’s Miller who brought Batman to his dark roots, which he only taken from Adams and emphasize it.

Adams was a superlative artist during his Batman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow runs, but let’s not forget Denny O’Neil’s contribution as the writer. Particularly on the Batman titles, O’Neil brought back the “detective” aspect of the character, following years of gimmicky stories influenced by the campy TV show. Neal Adams brought a visual realism to the book, but Denny restored the greatness of Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Agreed. I read Brave and the Bold: The Bronze Age v1 recently, which is where Adams made his initial splash drawing Batman (and was quickly moved up from there to the main Bat-books). As nice as his art is, the stories were all written by Bob Haney and are pretty mediocre and dull to read still.

If anyone has time or didn’t watch, here’s interview with Adams, among other, where he sheds some light into the creation of his and O’Neil’s Batman.

Don’t know, I never checked, to be honest, is trade trade that collects O’Neil/Adams run.
Also, not to mention Adams influenced later well known comic artists, beside Miller and others, but to me Jim Aparo style is almost near to Adams.

I see a lot of Adams in John Byrne.

Neal has influenced a lot of people. He was pretty harsh (but I understand that, as it is uncomfortably close to a style I had while learning). Recently, Trevor Von Eeden (co-creator of Black Lightning and penciler - when he was all of 16) has brought up how Adams being harsh on him really helped. Mentoring is an art. Interesting; Adams influenced Aparo, who in turn influenced Bryan Hitch (among a few others).

Oh, true. It wasn’t fun & games with him. I remember Miller describing how Adams chewed him up constantly, while the former grew better and better, eager to finally breakthrough and he finally did.
Which probably is why, I noticed some folks call Adams an arrogant prick.

He’s great, so many excellent books and that influence reached over into the best of Daredevil.

Funnily enough though my first exposure to Adams was his work on X-Men. I’d read quite a few of the very early issues and at the same time the Claremont/Byrne run which seemed way more sophisticated.

A UK annual turned up covering Adams’ Sentinels story and I was blown away at how amazing the original X-Men stories could look. He was working on a completely different level to anyone else on that run but it went from this:

to this:

I had the same experience reading through the first Brave and the Bold Showcase. Just an astronomical shift in art when Adams took over.

:open_mouth:

You missed the important part. :wink:

After making reference to Captain Oates during an office conversation, a colleague asked me in all sincerity whether that was a Marvel character.

Disney truly do rule the world now.

That thought makes me want to go out. I may be some time :frowning:

I keep trying to imagine what kind of superhero Captain Oates could be. Some kind of muesli-fuelled porridge-based powers would be in order I think.